Cherry Shortbread Cookies
Add a little cherry deliciousness to your day with our easy-to-make Incredible Cherry Shortbread Cookies recipe. These cookies are the perfect blend of sweet and buttery, with a cherry flavor that will have you coming back for more. So why wait?
Incredible Cherry Shortbread Cookies
Shortbread, like this Cranberry Orange Shortbread Cookies is an amazing dessert. This Incredible Cherry Shortbread Cookies recipe is a must-try for anyone who loves cherries and shortbread. The recipe is incredibly easy to make, and the cookies turn out delicious every time. Plus, the vibrant pink color of the cherries makes these cookies perfect for festive occasions.
Key Ingredients to Make Cherry Shortbread Cookies
- Maraschino Cherries- If you nibbled on these cherries at all, you know there is nothing like them. These cherries make these cookies the perfect combination.
- Godiva Chocolate Chips- I like to use Godiva because it has just the right amount of sweetness to the tartness of the cherries.
Can I Use White Chocolate for the Drizzle?
Yes, you can use white chocolate to drizzle on top of these shortbread cookies. Follow the same steps to melt the chocolate and drizzle on top once you are done and allow it to harden.
How to Make Cherry Shortbread Cookies
Step 1- Dry Ingredients.
Grease a cookie sheet using Pam baking spray (this will keep the parchment paper from sliding) and use parchment paper to line it, then grease the parchment paper as well. In a medium bowl, add in the flour and salt and whisk to combine. Use plastic wrap to line a cutting board.
Step 2- Wet Ingredients.
In a large mixing bowl, add in the butter and powdered sugar and combine until smooth. Pour in the vanilla and combine again. Gradually add the butter mixture into the flour mixture until fully incorporated and it forms a dough of large clumps.
Step 3- Add-ins.
Take the bowl off of the electric mixer. Add in the cherries and chocolate chips and use a rubber spatula to fold to combine.
Step 4- Dough.
Sprinkle flour on the cutting board if the dough sticks and transfer the dough to the cutting board. Roll the dough into a log using your hands and press down tightly into a 2-inch log. Remove the log from the plastic wrap gently and use the plastic wrap to wrap the log and set it in the fridge for 2 hours to chill.
Step 5- Baking.
Set the oven to 350 degrees and take the dough out of the fridge.
Set onto the cutting board to cut into 1/4 or 1/3-inch thick pieces (If while you’re handling the dough it crumbles, just dip your fingers in water and seal it back together). Arrange the cookies 1-inch apart from each other on the prepared sheet pan and bake for 10-15 minutes at 350 degrees until golden brown on the top.
Take out and allow the cookies to cool on the sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool thoroughly.
Step 1 – Melting the Chocolate.
In a small heat-safe bowl, melt the chocolate chips in the microwave in 15-second. Mix until completely melted (if the chocolate is not melted, add it back into the microwave for an additional 10-seconds intervals until melted).
Step 2- Topping.
Use a fork to drizzle the melted chocolate on top of the cookies. Allow it to harden before serving and enjoy!
Can you Freeze Christmas Maraschino Cherry Shortbread Cookies?
You can place the cookies in an airtight container and use parchment paper to separate each layer of cookies. You will want to arrange them in the container so they are not touching and divided by the wax paper to keep them from sticking together. Allow the cookies to thaw before re-baking them.
How to Store Cherry Shortbread Cookies?
The best method to store these Cherry Shortbread Cookies is by placing them in an air-tight container to lock in the moisture to keep them soft and fresh for as long as possible. These cookies can be stored at room temperature, in the fridge, or freezer. Storing them in the freezer will give you the longest shelf life.
More Shortbread Recipes:
- Chocolate Shortbread Cookies
- Cranberry Shortbread Cookies
- Whipped Shortbread Cookies
- Shortbread Cookies – Only 5 Ingredients!
Cherry Shortbread Cookies
- 1 C butter soft
- 1/2 C powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 C all-purpose flour spoon filled in a cup and leveled with a knife
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- 1 C maraschino cherries juice drained from the jar and chopped
- Place chopped cherries on paper towels to remove any additional liquid
- 1 C Godiva chocolate chips
- 1 ⁄2 C Godiva chocolate chips melted
- Spray a cookie sheet with nonstick spray.
- (The spray will adhere to the parchment paper so that it doesn’t move.)
- Line this cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Spray the parchment paper with baking spray. Set aside.
- Whisk flour and salt together in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Line a cutting board with plastic wrap.
- Add butter and powdered sugar in a large mixing bowl.
- Using an electric mixer cream this together,
- Add vanilla. Mix to combine.
- Slowly add in the flour/salt mixture.
- Continue to mix until the dough begins to form large clumps.
- Remove the bowl from the electric mixer.
- With a rubber spatula stir in the cherries and chocolate chips.
- Turn the batter out on a cutting board (if it sticks to the surface sprinkle a little flour on it).
- Use your hands to roll the batter into a log. Press the batter tightly resulting in a 2-inch log.
- Carefully move the log onto the plastic wrap. Wrap the cookie log in the plastic wrap, transfer it to the refrigerator to chill for 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove the cookie log from the refrigerator.
- Place it on a cutting board and cut it into 1⁄4 or 1⁄3 inch thick slices.
- (If a cookie slice crumbles, dip your finger into a small glass of water and press the dough back together.)
- Position the cookie slices on the prepared cookie sheet one inch away from another slice.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes.
- (The top of the cookies will start to turn a light golden brown.)
- Remove the baked cookies from the oven, leaving the cookies on the cookie sheet to cool for about 5 minutes.
- Move to a cooling rack sitting on top of another cookie sheet.
- Allow the cookie to completely cool.
- Put the chocolate chips in a small microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave for 15 seconds. Stir and if not completely melted return to the microwave to melt in 10-second increments.
- Once completely melted, use a fork to drizzle chocolate over the cookies.
- Allow the chocolate drizzle to harden.