Homemade Chocolate Shortbread Cookies, full of chocolatey goodness and covered in sprinkles are the perfect gift to give to the special someone in your life. These heart-shaped cookies are a fantastic way to say “I love you” for Valentine’s Day.
Chocolate Shortbread Cookies
These Chocolate Shortbread Cookies are so good! These cookies are big beautiful heart-shaped cookies with a wonderful flavor and nice texture. These cookies may just sweep someone off their feet! You can also make these for friends and family who are for sure going to fall in love.
- Flour- Use all-purpose flour for the best results.
- Cocoa Powder- This will give you that chocolate flavor.
- Salt- This will bring out the flavors in the cookies.
- Sugar- Every great dessert uses sugar in the recipe.
- Butter- Use unsalted to control the amount of salt in the recipe.
- Vanilla- Use pure vanilla for the best flavoring.
- Melting wafers- You will use the Ghirardelli melting chocolate for these cookies.
- Sanding Sugar- You will need this in the color red for this recipe.
- Sprinkles- Be sure to get the Valentine’s Day Heart Confetti.
How to Make Chocolate Shortbread Cookies
Set your oven to 350 degrees and use a silicone mat to line two cookie sheets.
Add the flour, cocoa powder, and salt into a large bowl and whisk to combine.
Mix in the butter and sugar into a separate large bowl and beat to combine until light and fluffy.
Add in the vanilla and mix.
Slowly add in the dry ingredients.
Roll the cookie dough to 1/4 thickness using 2 cookie sheet length wax paper sheets.
Cut out the heart shapes using the cookie cutter.
Put the cookies onto the prepared pan and place them in the preheated oven for 14 minutes.
Remove and let them rest to cool.
Add the melting wafers into a heat-safe bowl and melt in the microwave.
Add into a piping bag and remove the tip.
Begin to drizzle the chocolate on top of the finished cookies and add some of the red sugar and sprinkles on top.
Let the chocolate harden on top.
Serve and Enjoy!
What is Shortbread?
Shortbread is a type of cookie that has a very particular texture and flavor. The texture is a crunchy, crumbly texture. And, Shortbread is mainly made with flour, butter, and sugar. This type of shortbread can be rich in flavor also.
Can I Freeze This Cookie Dough?
Cookie dough can definitely be frozen. It’s a good idea to freeze cookie dough, like sugar cookies especially when you add frosting or icing on top. This recipe uses melted chocolate on top. When you place it into the freezer, you want to make sure that it is in a sealed container or freezer bag.
More Valentine’s Day Desserts:
- Valentines Cheesecake
- Valentines Sugar Cookie Bars
- Valentine Peanut Butter Cookie Bars
- Valentine’s Day Oatmeal Bites
- Valentines Day Cake
Chocolate Shortbread Cookies
- 1 ¾ C flour
- ⅔ C cocoa powder
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ C sugar
- 1 C unsalted butter softened
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 C Ghirardelli melting chocolate wafers
- Red sanding sugar
- Valentines day confetti heart sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350 and line two cookie sheets with a silicone mat
- Using a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, and salt together
- Using another large bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy
- Beat in the vanilla until combined
- Gradually beat in the dry ingredients until combined
- Using 2 cookie sheet length of wax paper, roll the cookie dough to about ¼ inch thick
- Using a heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut out heart cookies
- Place cookies onto the cookie sheets and bake for 14 minutes
- Allow cooling
- Using a microwave bowl, melt the chocolate wafers melting chips
- Scoop into the piping bag and cut the tip
- Drizzle over the heart cookies and sprinkle some red sanding sugar and heart confetti sprinkles
- Allow the chocolate to harden before enjoying
- Heart-shaped cookie cutter
- Disposable piping bag