This Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake is a incredibly easy and delicious dessert that is always such a huge hit. Simply dump 3 ingredients into a baking dish for a decadent dessert that everyone loves.
Chocolate Dump Cake with Cherries
The Cherry Chocolate Dump Cake is such an easy dessert recipe. It combines sweet cherries and rich chocolate using a cake mix. It pairs perfectly with the tartness of the cherry pie filling. This is one of these best dessert recipes to make when you need something quick for guests. Dump cake recipes are always my go-to when I have a party. Everyone loves them and they take just minutes to prepare.
What is a Dump Cake?
A dump cake gets its name from the method in which it uses all the ingredients, typically a type of fruit filling, cake mix, and butter. You simply dump all the ingredients into the baking pan without the need for mixing or additional bowls. The result is a deliciously sweet and crumbly dessert that pairs perfectly with a scoop of ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream.
What You’ll Need
- Cherry pie filling- You can always make your own cherry pie filling. If you make your own, you will need batches.
- Devil’s food cake mix- Devil’s Food gives a richer flavor than chocolate cake alone. However, you can use rich chocolate cake if you want.
- Butter- Butter is poured over the top to give the cake it rich top layer.
- Whipped Cream and Maraschino cherries- These are optional as a topping for the cake. We love this the way it is, but feel free to sprinkle on chocolate chips or cover in chocolate frosting to make it extra chocolatey.
How to Make Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake Recipe
- Dump: Spread the cans of cherry pie filling in the baking dish. Add the cake mix over top of the pie filling. Pour the butter over the top of the cake mix, covering as much of the cake mix as possible.
- Bake: Bake the cake for 45 minutes. Then allow the cake to cool for 10 minutes.
- Serve: Serve the cake warm with whipped cream and cherries on top. Also tastes great with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Do I Bake The Cake Mix First?
No, you don’t need to prepare the cake mix first. The beauty of a dump cake is its simplicity. You simply layer the ingredients in the baking dish, starting with the cherry pie filling, then the dry cake mix, and finally, sliced butter on top. As it bakes, the butter will melt and combine with the dry cake mix to create a crumbly, delicious topping.
How to Store Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake
To store your Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake leftovers, allow it to cool completely. Once cooled, cover it tightly with either aluminum foil or plastic wrap. You can also move it to an airtight container. You can store it at room temperature for up to 2 days or in the refrigerator for up to a week.If you’d like to freeze it, wrap it in a layer of plastic wrap followed by a layer of aluminum foil. It can last in the freezer for up to 3 months.To serve it after freezing, thaw it overnight in the fridge. If you prefer to have the dump cake warm, heat it up in the oven at a low temperature until warmed through.
More Dump Cake Recipes
Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Spread the cherry pie filling into the baking dish evenly.
- Add the cake mix on top of the cherry pie filling in an even layer.
- Pour the melted butter over the top of the cake mix, making sure to cover as much as possible.
- Place in the oven and bake for about 45 minutes.
- After baking, let the baking dish cool for about 10 minutes.
- Serve warm with whipped cream and additional cherries on top.