Skip the baking sheets and grab your skillet for this delicious crowd-friendly Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie recipe! We show you how to make a restaurant-style chocolate chip pizookie at home. This warm ooey gooey cookie pizookie recipe is a favorite with everyone!
Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie
This Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie is so delicious! Is there anything better than a cookie big enough to fit in a cast-iron skillet? There is nothing better than a warm chocolate chip cookie + vanilla ice cream. I have tried a ton of chocolate chip cookie recipes and this one makes the BEST chocolate chip skillet pizookie.
This giant cookie is so buttery and moist with a rich and chocolatey flavor. This recipe is the best kind of dessert to serve with vanilla ice cream! You will also love our Reese’s Peanut Butter Cookie Pie or this other Oreo Skillet Cookie (Pizookie) as well.
You Will Need:
- Butter– Use unsalted butter to control the amount of salt in the recipe.
- Brown Sugar– Use this to add richness to the dessert.
- Sugar– This is always used in the best desserts.
- Eggs– Use these at room temperature.
- Flour– Use all-purpose flour for the best results.
- Baking Soda– Use this to allow the cookie to rise in the oven.
- Chocolate Chips– Use semi-sweet chocolate chips for this recipe.
How to Make a Skillet Cookie
A cast iron skillet works perfectly with this recipe and only costs about $20-$40. If you don’t have a cast iron skillet, you can substitute an oven safe skillet instead. You can find Cast Iron Skillets HERE.
- Mix the wet ingredients. To begin, you will need to cream the butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Then add in the eggs.
- Whisk dry Ingredients. whisk the flour, baking soda and salt.
- Combine the dry and wet ingredients, then fold in the chocolate.
Spread the dough – into the prepared skillet and place it into the oven.
Bake – at 325 degrees and then allow to cool thoroughly before slicing and serving.
Serve – If you ordered a skillet cookie from a restaurant they would serve it in the actual skillet, with ice cream scoops on top, and spoons for everyone to share! If you’re not comfortable sharing with others from the same pan, you can cut the cookie and serve individual portions and then add the ice cream on top (and a swirl of hot fudge sauce or caramel sauce. You may never go back to plain chocolate chip cookies ever again!
Is it the same as a Pizookie?
A skillet cookie and Pizookie are the exact same dessert. The recipe is slightly under-baked compared to a traditional pizookie.
Mix-in and Topping Options:
- Chopped nuts (pecans, peanuts or macadamia nuts)
- Crushed pretzels
- Add vanilla ice cream or whipped cream on top.
- Crispy cereal
- Crushed potato chips
- Top with flaky sea salt
Can I prepare this Skillet Cookie Ahead?
Yes! This yummy dessert can be prepped ahead of time. Mix up your dough, spread it into a greased skillet, then pop it into the fridge until ready to bake.
More Cookie Recipes:
- Haystack Cookies (No-Bake)
- Pumpkin Cookies with Cake Mix
- Reese’s Sandwich Cookies
- Lemon Lavender Cookies
Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F and grease a 10 or 12-inch cast-iron skillet with vegetable oil and set aside.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs and egg yolk one at a time, mixing between each addition.
- In a separate, medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Slowly add the flour mixture to the butter mixture with the mixer running on low speed just until combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and chopped chocolate.
- Spread the cookie dough in the skillet and bake for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Allow cooling completely before cutting and serving or scoop out while warm. Serve with ice cream, if desired.