This Chocolate Cosmic Cake is absolutely amazing. This cake tastes like the Cosmic Brownies that we have loved as kids. To make this cake even more special it is topped with Cosmic Brownies. Make this cake for a special occasion and impress your guests.
Chocolate cake is always a special treat, but when you make this amazing cake recipe, you are taking your cake to a whole new level. This triple layer cake is filled with homemade chocolate buttercream frosting and then topped with rainbow sprinkles and pieces of Cosmic brownies.
- Triple chocolate cake mix- Cake mix save time when making this cake.
- Eggs- It is always best to use room temperature
- Whole milk- 2% milk can also be used
- Unsalted butter- Always use unsalted butter to control the salt in a recipe
- Hershey’s cocoa powder- Any kind of cocoa powder will work
- Powdered sugar- Powdered sugar works best for frosting
- Pure vanilla extract- Always is always best for a high quality taste.
- Cosmic Brownies- The Cosmic Brownies are used as a garnish on the cake.
- Chocolate rainbow crunch sprinkles- Just like the brownies, you want to decorate with the cake with the sprinkles.
How to Make a Cosmic Brownie Cake
Beat the cake ingredients together and pour it into the prepared cake pans.
Bake the cake for 25-30 minutes in a preheated 350 degree oven.
Let the cakes cool completely.
Make the chocolate frosting by combining all of the frosting ingredients together until it forms stiff peaks.
Scoop about 1 1/2 cup of frosting into a piping bag.
Use a cake leveler to cut the domes off to create a flat surface.
Scoop about 1 1/2 cup of chocolate frosting onto the layer and smooth it evenly.
Place the next layer on top. Do this with all the layers and then frost the cake completely.
Sprinkle the cake with rainbow sprinkles and then place the cake in the refrigerator to harden.
Pipe the top with chocolate frosting and add a Cosmic brownies in between the chocolate frosting.
What Candy Goes on a Cosmic Brownie Cake?
Just like the top of a Cosmic brownie, this cake is topped with rainbow sprinkles. You could add other candies if you want, but to stay with tradition use rainbow sprinkles.
What Chocolate Do You Use for this Cake?
The base of the cake is a chocolate cake mix. The frosting is made with chocolate cocoa powder.
More Layered Cake Recipes
- Patriotic Layered Cake
- Layered Cannoli Cake Recipe
- Layered Cherry Coke Cake
- Chocolate Layer Twix Cake
Chocolate Cosmic Cake
chocolate cake ingredients
- 2 boxes triple chocolate cake mix
- 6 large eggs
- 2 C whole milk
- 2/3 C unsalted butter softened
Chocolate Frosting ingredients
- 4 C unsalted butter softened
- 1 C Hershey’s cocoa powder
- 8 C powdered sugar
- 1 tsp Pure vanilla extract
- Cosmic Brownies
- 3 C chocolate rainbow crunch sprinkles
Chocolate Cake Direction
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray cake pans with pam baking spray, set aside
- Using a standing mixer, beat together the cake mix, eggs, milk and butter until smooth and combined
- Split the batter between the 3 pans and bake for 25 -30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean
- Once baked, remove from oven and allow to cool completely
Chocolate Frosting directions
- Using a standing mixer, beat all ingredients until combined, smooth and stiff peaks form
- Scoop about 1 1/2 C frosting into the piping bag and set aside
Building the cake directions
- Using the cake leveler, cut the domes off the cake rounds to make them leveled
- Place one cake round onto the cake board
- Scoop 1 1/2 C of the chocolate frosting onto the top of the cake and smooth evenly with the angled spatula
- Place another cake round on top of the first one
- Scoop another 1 1/2 C of the chocolate frosting onto the second cake round and smooth evenly
- Place the third cake round on top of the second one
- Scoop remaining chocolate frosting onto the top of the cake and frost entire cake
- Place cake on a cake stand in the middle of a cookie sheet
- Sprinkle some of the rainbow sprinkles around the bottom of the cake
- Place cake into the fridge for an hour to allow the frosting to firm up
- Pipe dollops of chocolate frosting along the top of the cake
- Place a piece of cosmic brownie in between the chocolate frosting
- Sprinkle some more rainbow sprinkles around the top
- Cut into slices and enjoy!