A simple and easy dessert recipe is a must and this Chocolate Sopapilla Cheesecake is a great and fast recipe to make. With a few ingredients and just a few minutes of prepping, this recipe will turn out with the best flavor and texture.
Chocolate Sopapilla Cheesecake Bars
This recipe contains ingredients like vanilla, cream cheese, sugar, chocolate chips, and cinnamon. All these ingredients are what make that amazing flavor and will create a melt in your mouth consistency. For other Mexican-inspired desserts be sure to also check out our Churro Cheesecake Bars and Blueberry Sopapilla Cheesecake Bars and Baked Churro Chips with Ganache!
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Cream Cheese– This will need to be softened or at room temperature.
- Sugar- Every great dessert recipe uses sugar as an ingredient.
- Vanilla Extract- Use pure vanilla for the best flavoring.
- Chocolate chips- You will need to get semi-sweet for this recipe.
- Crescent Rolls- You will need the store-bought dough sheets.
- Cinnamon- This will be an additional flavoring for this recipe.
- Butter- This will need to be unsalted for this cheesecake.
- Chocolate Syrup– This will be added on top of the finished cheesecake.
How to Make Sopapilla Cheesecake Bars
- Set the oven to 350 degrees and use a cooking spray such as pam to grease a 9 x 13-inch baking dish.
- Add the cream cheese, 1 cup of sugar, and vanilla into a large bowl and beat using a hand mixer until combine.
- Place the chocolate chips into a heat-safe bowl and melt in the microwave in 30-second increments, mixing in between each interval until fully melted.
- Add the melted chocolate into the batter and beat until combined.
- Unroll the crescent dough and place it into the bottom of the prepared pan and press down. If you decide to use rolls instead, be sure to pinch the seams to create a sheet. The dough may not fully cover the bottom of the pan, but that is fine.
- Scoop the prepared batter onto the top of the dough and evenly spread out. Place the other sheet of dough on top of the filling. Press down gently.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake for 30-35 minutes until the dough becomes a light brown and begins to fluff up.
- Take out and transfer to a wire rack and let cool to room temperature.
- Enjoy immediately or cover and put into the fridge.
- Top with chocolate syrup and dig in!
What is Sopapilla?
Sopapilla is a delicious fried pastry or type of quick bread with a filling inside. This recipe is named a Sopapilla Cheesecake because of the layer of cream cheese filling sandwiched in between to crescent sheets. It is then topped with chocolate syrup to add to the flavor.
Can I make this without chocolate?
Yes, you can make this Sopapilla Cheesecake without chocolate. All you have to do is remove the chocolate chips in the recipe. If you want another flavor, you could add cayenne pepper to give it a more Mexican-style taste. Follow our Sopapilla Cheesecake Recipe for the non-chocolate version.
More Cheesecake Recipes:
- Valentine Mini Chocolate Cheesecakes
- Hot Chocolate Cheesecake (Instant Pot)
- Mini Chocolate Cheesecake
- New York Fudge Instant Pot Chocolate Cheesecake
Chocolate Sopapilla Cheesecake
- 16 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 8 ounce cans refrigerated crescent roll dough sheets
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- Chocolate syrup for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 9×13-inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl with a hand, mixer beat together the cream cheese, 1 cup of sugar, and vanilla together until smooth.
- Melt the chocolate chips at 30-second intervals, stirring between each one until fully melted.
- Beat the melted chocolate into the cheesecake mixture until fully blended.
- Unroll the dough and press one of the rolls of dough into the bottom of the prepared baking dish and pinch together any seams if using rolls vs sheets. The dough may not fully cover the pan, don’t worry, it will when you’re done.
- Top the dough with the cream cheese mixture, making sure to spread it evenly over the dough. Top the filling with the other piece of dough and gently press it down.
- Mix together the butter, sugar, and cinnamon and dot it over the top of the dough.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes until the top layer of dough is golden brown and has puffed up.
- Remove from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool to room temperature then enjoy or cover and refrigerate.
- Serve with chocolate syrup if desired.