Show someone a little love this year with this delicious and moist Chocolate Valentine Surprise Cake. It has a hidden heart inside! This chocolate loaf cake is so fun and easy to make for Valentine’s Day and everyone will just love it.
Valentine’s Day Surprise Cake
This is a sweet dessert that is perfect for a loved one, for who you want to show appreciation this year. It is so fluffy and tasty that one bite will have them hooked. Once you cut into it, it has a wonderful strawberry icing and sprinkles surprise. It will surely put a smile on anyone’s face.
Key Ingredients You’ll Need
Cake Mix: You will need chocolate and strawberry cake mix for this recipe. You can make your own homemade recipe or use a store-bought mix.
Strawberry Icing: You can use this or make regular white icing with food coloring. I also use heart sprinkles to add on top.
How To Make Chocolate Valentine Surprise Cake
Step 1. Set the oven to 350 degrees. Use the directions on the strawberry cake mix to prepare and add to a greased loaf pan. Place in the oven for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick is placed in the middle and comes out clean. Take it out of the pan and wrap it with a layer of plastic wrap. Store in the freezer for 30 minutes. Measure the slices using a heart cookie cutter. Use the cutter to cut out heart shapes.
Step 2. Use the directions on the chocolate cake mix to prepare and pour just enough into a greased loaf pan to cover the base of the pan. Arrange the heart cake cutouts into the middle making sure they are pressed together tightly. Add the remaining chocolate batter on top. Place in the oven for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick is placed in the middle and comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool thoroughly before frosting.
Step 3. Place sprinkles on top and on the sides of the frosting before cutting it into slices to reveal the strawberry cake heart. Serve and enjoy!
Variations For Chocolate Valentine Surprise Cake:
I love this cake because you can change it up to your liking or if your favorite person has a favorite color.
- You can use white cake/frosting and color it how you desire.
- I love using red or pink for Valentine’s theme, but if your loved one has a favorite color, you can make this blue, purple, green, etc.
- Try a different type of sprinkles!
Tips & Tricks
- You can make these into cupcakes if you desire.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container for the best storage method.
- If you want to freeze the cake, you can wrap it in plastic wrap, then a layer of foil, and place in a freezer-safe bag.
More Valentine Dessert Recipes:
- Valentine Crinkle Cookies
- Red Velvet Brownies
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Hearts
- Red Velvet Fudge
- Valentine Thumbprint Cookies
Chocolate Valentine Surprise Cake
- 1 chocolate cake mix
- 1 strawberry cake mix
- 1 can of strawberry icing
- heart sprinkles
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Prepare your strawberry cake mix according to the package directions and pour it into a greased loaf pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean in the center. Cool completely. Remove the cake from the pan and wrap it with plastic wrap.
- Place the cake in the fridge for 30 minutes. Take a heart cookie cutter to measure your slices. Then cut out heart shapes from the slices using your heart cookie cutter.
- Prepare your chocolate cake according to the package directions. The grease you pan and pour enough batter on the bottom just to cover it. Then add your heart cake cutouts like this making sure they are pressed together tightly. Pour the rest of the batter on top to cover.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the toothpick comes out clean in the center. Cool completely then frost the top using your strawberry frosting.
- We also added a heart to the sides using our frosting. Add heart sprinkles on top of the frosting. Cut slices and find a delicious strawberry cake slice inside!
Other fun Valentine’s ideas here…
White Chocolate Valentine Popcorn…
Loves Me Loves Me Not Valentine’s Flower Cupcakes…
Valentine Owl Popcorn Bag Craft…
Leave a Review!
We LOVE hearing from you! Submit your question or comment here.
Your email address will not be published.
9 comments on “Chocolate Valentine Surprise Cake”
What size heart shaped cookie cutter did you use?
Do you use the entire cake mix or just half? I’m just wondering it will overflow if I use too much. Excited to try this! Thanks!
It did overflow. I think it needs to be stated not to use all the chocolate cake mix or use a bigger baking pan for the final cake.
Do you bake the cake in a 9×13 or loaf pan and where is the 2nd row of hearts?
I like your method for cutting the hearts. It’s a lot easier than the way I did it.
The Valentine’s Day cake with the heart in the center, when it’s time to pour the chocolate batter do I pour it all or just enough to cover the bottom of the pan?
What did you do with the leftover pink cake?
I just store the scraps and my boys eat them…but I have also made cake pops several times with leftover cake.
Can you send me the recipe or link for chocolate valentine surprise cake? Thank you.