Chocolate Pie (Quick and Easy)
This Chocolate Pie Recipe is a rich and chocolatey dessert topped with fresh whipped cream and chocolate shavings. This delicious chocolate cream pie is quick and easy with a stove top filling.
Chocolate Cream Pie
This easy pie recipe is so thick and creamy that it will just melt in your mouth. It’s quick to throw together and doesn’t require any baking if using an already prepared pie crust! However, I do suggest that you make our homemade pie crust recipe because it’s amazing.
This chocolate pie filling is made on the stove top. Just mix, put together, and chill in the fridge. This can be served with or without the whipped cream on top. We like it both ways. It’s perfect for the Thanksgiving and Christmas holiday or for any occasion.
Key Ingredients You’ll Need
Pie Crust: You will need to prepare a pie crust. I like using this recipe: Homemade Pie Crust.
Cornstarch: Using this will help with any cracks and as well as help with the thickness of the dessert.
Chocolate: You can use either semi-sweet or dark chocolate for this recipe. Using dark chocolate will make the dessert a lot richer.
How To Make Chocolate Pie
Step 1. In a bowl, add the cornstarch, sugar, and salt and whisk to combine. Add in the egg yolks and milk and whisk to combine before adding in the chopped chocolate. Turn the stove on medium heat and cook the ingredients until it thickens large bubbles begin to form and pop. Make sure to use a whisk or spatula to mix constantly for about 8 minutes. Take away from the heat and pour into a mesh strainer into a bowl right away. Use a spatula to push the pudding through to make it even smoother.
Step 2. Add in the butter and combine using a whisk until fluffy. Add the mixture into the pie crust and use a spatula to evenly smooth out. Allow it to cool to room temperature before placing it in the fridge to chill for 3 hours.
Step 3. Use a spoon to add the whipped cream on top of the pie and spread evenly. Top the pie with chopped chocolate and chill until you are ready to serve.
What To Add On Top Of Chocolate Pie?
This pie is so chocolatey and rich that I don’t normally put too many toppings, just this whipped cream and chocolate shavings. However, if you want, you can add mini chocolate chips, chopped candies, etc.
Can You Freeze Chocolate Pie?
Yes! If stored correctly in an air-tight container, this chocolate pie can last for 5-6 days in the fridge. You can also store in the freezer to extend the shelf life.
If you want to bring this pie to a gathering, make sure the pie is nice and frozen. Then place it in a cooler as you travel to keep it chilled – especially in the summer when it’s really hot outside.
More Pie Recipes:
- Pina Colada Pie (No-Bake)
- Frozen Strawberry Daiquiri Pie (No-Bake)
- Apple Crumble Pie with Chocolate Ganache
- Strawberry Pie Cheesecake (No Bake)
Chocolate Pie Recipe
- Whisk together cornstarch, sugar, and salt. Whisk in the egg yolks and milk until fully combined. Add in the chopped chocolate.
- Turn on the heat to medium and cook the mixture, whisking constantly, using a spatula, and scraping up any thickened pudding on the edges of the pan.
- Cook until the pudding has completely thickened and large bubbles are forming and popping, about 8 minutes. Remove from heat; immediately pour through a mesh strainer into a bowl, using a spatula to push all the pudding out so it’s extra smooth.
- Whisk in the butter and the extract until combined and fluffy.Pour the pudding into the prepared pie crust and smooth it over the top. Let cool at room temperature before chilling in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours or overnight.
- Scoop whipped cream on top of the pie. Using a spatula, spread the cream evenly over the top of the pie. Garnish with additional pieces of chopped chocolate.Keep chilled until ready to serve.