Christmas Sugar Cookie Bars are soft melt-in-your-mouth cookies topped with a rich buttercream frosting. These are always the first thing to go on the Holiday cookie tray.
Holiday Cookie Bars
These festive and delicious cookie bars are the perfect Holiday treat! The cookie dough is filled and topped with Holiday chips to add a fun and eye-popping dessert. The buttercream frosting on top is so thick and smooth that every bite is like a taste of heaven! Pack these up for school or work during the holidays or gift them to your friends and family.
Key Ingredients You’ll Need
Sugar: You will need granulated sugar for the cookie dough and powdered sugar mixed with butter, milk, and vanilla to make the buttercream frosting.
Flour: Use all-purpose flour for the best results along with baking soda to allow the cookies to rise in the oven.
Sprinkles: You will need sprinkles or holiday chips to add to the cookie dough and on top of the bars.
How To Make Christmas Sugar Cookie Bars
Step 1. Use parchment paper to line a 9×13-inch baking dish and set it aside. Set the oven to 375 degrees. Add the butter and sugar into a large bowl and use an electric mixer to combine until light and fluffy. Put in the eggs and vanilla and combine again. Add the flour, baking soda, and salt into the mixture and combine until a dough forms. Put the dough into the prepared pan and spread it out to cover the bottom. Place into the oven for 12-15 minutes to bake until puffed and light brown. Let the bars cool thoroughly and prepare the frosting while the bars cool.
Step 2. Add the butter into a large bowl and beat to whip with an electric mixer. Put in the powdered sugar and beat again. Pour in the milk and vanilla and combine once again until light and fluffy. Put the frosting on top of the cooled bars and spread evenly with a spatula. Top with holiday sprinkles or chips and cut into bars. Serve and enjoy!
How To Decorate These Christmas Sugar Cookie Bars?
You can use any kind of sprinkles you want to decorate your cookie bars. You can use holiday sprinkles, jimmies, or nonpareil. Add food coloring gel! Add color to the buttercream frosting to make it more festive! Green or red would work perfectly!
How To Store Sugar Cookie Bars?
Place the leftover cookie bars into an airtight container in a single layer for the best storage method. These bars can last for 3 days at room temperature or for 5 days in the fridge. You can store them in the freezer if you need them to last longer.
Tips & Tricks
Add peppermint extract or almond extract to flavor the frosting.
Put chocolate chips or white chocolate chips into the dough if you like!
These sugar cookie bars are rich so you can cut them as large or as small as you want.
More Sugar Cookie Recipes:
Christmas Sugar Cookie Bars
- Line a 9×13 baking dish with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl using an electric mixer combine butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs and vanilla and beat until combined.
- Next, add flour baking soda, and salt until a dough forms.
- Spread cookie dough into the prepared pan.
- Bake 12-15 minutes until puffed and golden brown.
- Allow cookie bars to cool completely in the pan.
Make the buttercream frosting.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer whip your butter.
- Add in the powdered sugar and whip again.
- Add in the milk and vanilla and beat again until light and fluffy.
- Spread frosting all over the cookie bars.
- Sprinkle with holiday sprinkles or holiday chips.
- Slice into bars and serve.