For a quick and easy weeknight dinner, make Garlic Bread Sloppy Joes. Crispy garlic bread topped with flavorful meat sauce and melted mozzarella cheese; these sloppy joes with an Italian twist are sure to please the whole family!
Garlic Bread Sloppy Joes
Sloppy Joe sandwiches are a meal staple in so many of our kitchens because they’re so simple, tasty, and filling. These are the same reasons we really enjoy Garlic Bread Sloppy Joes. I can whip up these open-faced sandwiches in 20 minutes and have dinner on the table before everyone runs their different directions for the evening.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Garlic Bread Sloppy Joes (the exact measurements and full recipe instructions are below in the easy to print recipe card):
- Lean ground beef – the ground beef will be cooked until browned and become the base of the meat sauce for the garlic bread sloppy joes.
- Spaghetti sauce – use any spaghetti sauce you enjoy.
- Frozen garlic toast – we use the thick Texas toast style garlic bread, but you could also try using the similar garlic cheese toast.
- Mozzarella cheese – shredded mozzarella will be sprinkled over the meat sauce before serving the sandwiches.
- Fresh parsley – chop the parsley and sprinkle it over the finished sloppy joes for a pop of color and flavor.
How to Make Garlic Bread Sloppy Joes
Crumble the ground beef into a skillet and cook over medium-high heat until fully browned. Drain off the excess fat, then stir in the spaghetti sauce. Simmer the meat sauce for 7-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
While the meat sauce is simmering, bake the garlic toast according to package directions until golden brown on both sides. Spoon the meat sauce on top of the garlic toast, then top with mozzarella cheese.
The cheese should melt on top of the hot meat sauce, but if it doesn’t, just pop the tray of sandwiches back into the hot oven for a few minutes until the cheese is melted.
Sausage – Instead of ground beef, try using Italian sausage. Buy it in a bulk roll or cut away the casings from Italian sausages, then crumble the meat into the pan and cook just like ground beef.
Parmesan – Try adding a generous sprinkle of Parmesan cheese to the sloppy joes just before serving.
Italian seasoning – Sprinkle Italian seasoning blend over top of the cheese as it is melting to really kick up the flavor.
How to Store Leftover Sloppy Joes
The sandwiches will not keep well as the bread gets very soggy. If you will only need a few sandwiches, just make what will be eaten and store the leftover sauce in an airtight food storage container in the refrigerator for up to three days. Reheat the sauce and use it with freshly baked garlic bread.
More Recipes You’ll Enjoy
Garlic Bread Sloppy Joes
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 cups spaghetti sauce more or less, depending on your preference
- 8 slices frozen garlic toast
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- Fresh parsley chopped
- Preheat oven to the cooking temperature instructed on the box of garlic toast.
- Crumble the ground beef into a skillet and cook over medium-high heat until fully browned. Drain off the excess fat, then stir in the spaghetti sauce. Simmer the meat sauce for 7-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While the meat sauce is simmering, bake the garlic toast according to package directions until golden brown on both sides.
- Spoon the meat sauce on top of the garlic toast, then top with mozzarella cheese. Serve hot.