You are going to love our lip-smacking Mississippi Sloppy Joes! Made with a perfect blend of tangy and savory flavors, this delicious Sloppy Joe recipe will leave you craving for more.
Mississippi Crock Pot Sloppy Joes
Mississippi Sloppy Joes are absolutely amazing, my friend. Imagine sinking your teeth into a juicy, flavor-packed sandwich that’s just oozing with deliciousness. They’re perfect for those days when you’re craving something comforting and satisfying, but don’t want to spend hours in the kitchen.
Once you take that first bite, you’ll be hooked. The combination of savory beef, that tangy homemade sauce with a hint of spice, and the toasty bun… it’s pure perfection. These Sloppy Joes are great for family dinners, weekend barbecues, or even a casual get-together with friends.
You will also want to try our Mississippi Pot Roast recipe made in the Crock-pot!
What You’ll Need
- Ground beef – feel free to sub with ground turkey.
- Seasoning and Sauce: Ranch Dressing Mix, Brown gravy mix, Worcestershire Sauce, Brown Sugar
- Pepperoncini Peppers- You will use the peppers and the pepperoncini juice in the recipe.
- Quick Cooking Oatmeal– Make sure it is quick cooking oatmeal and not old fashion oats
- Butter– Use unsalted butter to control the salt content.
- Buns– You can use whatever kind of buns you like. I prefer soft brioche buns.
How to Make Mississippi Sloppy Joes
- Cook the meat. Brown the meat, drain and add to the slow cooker. Add the oatmeal. Stir together.
- Make the sauce: Combine the sauce ingredients together and add it to the ground beef mixture. Slice the butter and the butter pats over the meat mixture.
- Cover and Cook: Cook on low for 4 hours. Serve on buns.
Tips and Tricks
Choose the right ground beef: Opt for lean ground beef, preferably 80% lean and 20% fat. This balance ensures flavor and juiciness without excessive grease.
Toast those buns: Don’t forget a toasted bun. This step may seem small, but it adds a delightful crunch and prevents the sauce from making the bread too soggy. Lightly butter the insides of the buns and toast them in a skillet until golden brown.
Add some crunch: For added texture, consider topping your Mississippi Sloppy Joes with crispy fried onions, sliced pickles, or even a handful of coleslaw. These toppings provide a satisfying crunch that complements the saucy goodness.
Serve with sides: Complete your meal by serving the Sloppy Joes with classic sides like potato salad, Dr Pepper baked beans, french fries, Crispy Baked Zucchini Fries or a fresh green salad. The contrast of flavors and textures will make your meal even more enjoyable.
Store Leftovers: Store the leftovers in an airtight container in fridge. The leftovers will last for 5 days.
Make Mississippi Sloppy Joe on the Stove
Follow the same directions until it is time to cook. You will want to cook in a heavy pot on simmer for about 30 minutes. Stir occasionally so the sauce doesn’t burn. Let the sauce thicken slightly.
More Sloppy Joe Recipes
- Rodeo Sloppy Joes
- Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes
- Garlic Bread Sloppy Joes
- Brown Sugar Bacon Sloppy Joes
- Sloppy Joe Grilled Cheese
Mississippi Sloppy Joes
- Brown and drain your ground beef.
- Add the beef to the slow cooker.
- To the slow cooker add the oatmeal to the meat and stir.
- Add the sauce mix to the slow cooker and add in the pepperocinis and stir.
- Slice the butter and add to the top of the meat mixture.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 hours.
- Serve on soft brioche buns.