This Hippie Tie Dye Cake is so fun! It’s a super colorful, triple layered tie dye cake with yummy homemade frosting on top. Perfect for a 1970’s theme party or a birthday party.
These beautiful triple layered cakes are something I used to think were just too hard for me to accomplish. I’ve found out that just isn’t true! Follow along and you’ll see how simple it really is. Check out a few more of my favorites down below.
Hippie Tie Dye Cake
One of the ways we make these super easy, is by starting out with a boxed cake mix. This lets us focus on the presentation and decoration and not have to spend *quite* as much energy on the flavor.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- White Cake Mix
- Egg Whites
- Whipping Cream
- Powdered Sugar
- Gel Food Coloring
How To Make A Tie Dye Hippie Cake
- Mix. Follow the instructions on the box to make your white cake. Separate the batter into five bowls.
- Color. Color each bowl of batter a different color. The gel food colorings are the most vibrant.
- Bake. Bake for 25-30 minutes and when it’s done, let it cool while you make the frosting.
- Decorate. Once the cakes are cool, use a knife to cut the domes off so they are flat. Make the easy homemade frosting and color them. Then, frost your cake!
Aren’t the colors so vibrant and fun? I think I’ll make this in many other themes besides just a peace, love ’70s theme. I just love the brightness.
Keep this cake in refrigerated and enjoy within 4-5 days. Serve it up with a big glass of milk or a scoop of chocolate ice cream. Yum!
More Triple Layered Cake Recipes
Hippie Tie Dye Cake
- 2 boxes of white cake mix
- 6 large egg whites
- 2 C water
- 1 C Canola oil
- Sky Blue Purple, Pink, Green, Yellow Gel food coloring
- Pam baking spray
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray the 3 cake pans with pam baking spray
- Combine all cake ingredients into a standing mixer or large mixing bowl and beat until combined
- Divide the batter between 5 medium bowls
- Mix in a few drops of one color into 1 bowl and mix until combined
- Repeat with remaining colors
- Drop dollops of the colors into the three cake pans
- Bake in the oven for 25-32 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean
- Allow to cool completely before moving onto the cake board
- Using a cake leveler, remove the dome from the cakes to make even
- Using a standing mixer, beat together the butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, and heavy whipping cream until combined, smooth and stiff with peaks
- Scoop 1/2 C of frosting into 6 bowls
- Mix in a few drops of a color into 1 bowl. Repeat steps for remaining colors
Building the Cake Directions
- Using 1 cake layer on the cake board, scoop 1 C of frosting onto the top of the cake and spread evenly
- Place the second layer of cake on top of the first layer of frosting.
- Scoop another 1 C of frosting onto the second layer of cake and spread evenly.
- Place the last layer of cake on top
- Frost entire cake with the remaining white frosting
- Scoop ¼ C of each colored frosting into their own bags, set aside
- Using a knife, blot dollops of the colored frosting all over the side of the cake
- Take a flat spatula and lightly spread the colored frosting to create a rainbow effect
- Using the colored frosting, pipe dollops of the frosting on top
- Place the flowers randomly throughout the cake
- Using the black piping bag, pipe peace signs randomly onto the sides and top of the cake
- Cut and enjoy!
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.
- 3 9inch round cake pans
- 3 10inch round cake board
- 5 small piping bags with star tip
- 1 small piping bag with number 3 tip
- 1 mini angled spatula