If you love the KFC bowl, then this delicious Homemade KFC Bowls Casserole is just for you! Made with very easy ingredients and the option to cook the chicken in the air fryer or the oven, this casserole is incredibly quick to whip up for dinner any time.
Homemade KFC Bowls
This is the easiest comfort meal around! Layers of mashed potatoes, corn, gravy, crispy chicken, and cheese, baked until hot and bubbly–scoop into individual bowls for a hot and delicious dinner the whole family will enjoy.
If you’re always looking for an easy dinner recipe, we have so many for you! Here are a few of our favorites: Cheesy Chicken Broccoli and Rice Casserole | Grilled Santa Fe Chicken Packets | Chili Cheese Dog Bake | Slow Cooker Queso Chicken Tacos
Here’s what you’ll need to make the Homemade KFC Bowls Casserole (the exact measurements and full recipe instructions are below in the printable recipe card):
- Mashed potatoes – I used 1 tub (24 ounces) of Bob Evans mashed potatoes, which you’ll find in the refrigerated area of your grocery store.
- Corn – You can use frozen corn or canned.
- Chicken or turkey gravy – I used jarred Heinz Home Style gravy.
- Tyson Crispy Chicken Strips
- Shredded cheddar cheese
How to Make Homemade KFC Bowls
Preheat oven to 400ºF. Lay 8 strips of the frozen Tyson Crispy Chicken Strips on a cookie sheet. Bake at 400ºF for 18-20 minutes until hot and crispy. Note: If you’re using a different type of chicken, bake according to the package instructions.
Reduce oven temperature to 350ºF. Prepare an 8×8-inch glass baking dish by coating with non-stick cooking spray.
Spread the mashed potatoes evenly into the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
Spoon the corn over top of the mashed potatoes.
Drizzle the gravy over the corn.
Arrange the cooked chicken strips over top of the gravy layer.
Sprinkle the top of the casserole with the shredded cheese.
Bake the casserole at 350ºF for 10-12 minutes until the casserole is hot and the cheese is melted.
Scoop the casserole into individual bowls to serve.
Air Fryer Method
To cook the Tyson Crispy Chicken Strips in the air fryer, follow these steps:
- Preheat air fryer to 360ºF.
- Arrange the chicken strips in a single layer in the cooking basket.
- Air fry the chicken for 11-12 minutes until hot.
Using Leftovers to Make Your Casserole
This recipe is a great way to use up leftovers! Here are some ideas:
Mashed potatoes – Instead of using the Bob Evans mashed potatoes, you can use your own homemade leftover mashed potatoes. You’ll need about 2 1/2 cups of potatoes.
Gravy – Instead of the gravy from a jar, you can use leftover homemade gravy or even make gravy from a packet of dry mix.
Corn – If you made a little too much corn for last night’s dinner, this KFC Bowl Casserole is a great way to use up the leftovers!
You might find you like to customize your casserole with other ingredients, such as leftover stuffing, leftover turkey instead of the chicken, and even adding some cranberry sauce for a perfect post-Thanksgiving meal.
Or maybe you might like to make it spicy with spicy chicken nuggets and some pepper jack cheese. The sky is the limit!
How to Store the Leftovers
Keep the leftover casserole in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days. Reheat individual servings in the microwave.
More Recipes You Will Love
- Strawberry and Cream Sheet Pancakes
- Classic Fish and Chips Recipe
- Copycat Chick-fil-A Sauce Recipe
- The Best Oven Roasted Potatoes
Homemade KFC Bowls
- 8 strips Tyson Crispy Chicken Strips frozen
- 1 24-ounce tub Bob Evans Original mashed potatoes (or leftover homemade mashed potatoes)
- 1 cup corn either frozen corn that is thawed, or canned corn that is drained
- 1/2 cup prepared chicken or turkey gravy (or leftover homemade gravy)
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Lay 8 strips of the frozen Tyson Crispy Chicken Strips on a cookie sheet. Bake at 400ºF for 18-20 minutes until hot and crispy. Note: If you're using a different type of chicken, bake according to the package instructions.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350ºF. Prepare an 8x8-inch glass baking dish by coating with non-stick cooking spray.
- Spread the mashed potatoes evenly into the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- Spoon the corn over top of the mashed potatoes.
- Drizzle the gravy over the corn.
- Arrange the cooked chicken strips over top of the gravy layer.
- Sprinkle the top of the casserole with the shredded cheese.
- Bake the casserole at 350ºF for 10-12 minutes until the casserole is hot and the cheese is melted.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.