This Santa Fe Chicken Foil Packets recipe is great for summer and can be made on the grill, oven or over a campfire. Tender seasoned chicken with corn, black beans, bell peppers, and salsa, all grilled together and ready for dinner in just 30 minutes.
Grilled Santa Fe Chicken Foil Packets
Whenever the grill can be involved in dinner prep, it’s always a win. This easy chicken packet recipe is definitely a new favorite! It was incredibly easy to make on the grill and only took about 30 minutes to prepare.
Be sure you also check out these great foil packet dinners: Grilled Sausage Foil Packets and Hobo Dinner Foil Packets.
Important Ingredients You Will Need
Here’s what you’ll need to make the chicken packets (the exact measurements and full recipe instructions are below in the printable recipe card):
- Chicken breasts – this will be about 2-3 pounds of chicken total.
- Seasoning – chili powder, salt and pepper
- Black beans– drain and rinse the beans before using.
- Corn – you can use either fresh or frozen corn. We used frozen.
- Bell pepper – you can use any color of bell pepper. We used green.
- Salsa – mild, medium, or hot–you choose! We have a fantastic homemade salsa recipe that you will love.
- Monterey jack cheese – any Mexican blend or cheddar cheese will work well.
How To Make Chicken Foil Packets
STEP 1. Cut four large pieces of foil and spray them each on one side with non-stick cooking spray. Place a chicken breast on each piece of foil. Mix together the chili powder, salt, and pepper, and use this to season both sides of each chicken breast. Top the chicken with a generous amount of corn, black beans, chopped bell pepper, and salsa. Fold the foil in half to cover the chicken and vegetables. Roll the edges of the foil up, crimping them together to form a sealed closed packet.
STEP 2. Grill the chicken packets over medium heat (350ºF) on one side for 10 minutes, then flip and grill on the other side for an additional 10 minutes. Use a meat thermometer to be sure the chicken has reached 165ºF inside.
PRO TIP: This recipe can also be made easily in the oven. Bake in the oven at 400°F for 30-35 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked and juices run clear.
STEP 3. Remove the packets to a large cookie sheet. Use a knife to cut the packets open. Sprinkle the cheese over the chicken and vegetables. Allow the cheese to melt and the packets to cool slightly before serving.
Pro Tip: You can add warmed tortillas and turn the meal into easy tacos!
How to Serve Santa Fe Chicken
You can serve the chicken and veggies right in the foil packet, or remove the contents of the packet and transfer to a plate.
Here are some topping ideas:
- Sour cream
- Fresh sliced or pickled jalapeños
- Chopped tomatoes
- Pico de gallo
- Chopped onions
How to Store Leftovers
It’s best to not store the leftovers in the foil packets. Scoop the chicken and vegetables into a food storage container and seal with a lid and refrigerate for up to two days.
More Chicken Recipes You Will Love
Grilled Santa Fe Chicken Foil Packets
- 4 chicken breasts (2-3 pounds of chicken total)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 15 ounce can of black beans drained and rinsed
- 2 cups corn (fresh or frozen)
- 1 medium bell pepper (any color) seeded and diced
- 3/4 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup shredded monterey jack cheese (or Mexican blend)
- Preheat the grill to 350F (medium on gas grills).
- Cut 4 large rectangles of foil. Spray each with non-stick cooking spray. Place one chicken bread on each piece of foil.
- In a small bowl, combine the chili powder, salt, and pepper. Sprinkle the seasoning mixture on both sides of each chicken breast.
- Top the chicken breasts with a generous amount of black beans, corn, and diced bell pepper, then spoon the salsa over top.
- Fold the foil in half over the chicken and vegetables. Twist the edges of the foil to create a completely closed packet.
- Grill the chicken foil packets over medium heat for 10 minutes, then flip and grill for another 10 minutes until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165F.
- Allow the chicken packets to cool on a large baking sheet for 5 minutes, then carefully cut them open and serve.