This classic southern dessert, Lemon Chess Pie, is going to become one of your favorites with its phenomenal flavors. With a flaky crust and a creamy lemon curd like filling, this delicious dessert comes together with only a few ingredients. One bite and you will in heaven.
Lemon Chess Pie
Chess Pie is very delicious and has the most delectable texture for a dessert. This recipe had a great blend of ingredients with lemon juice, lemon zest, and lemon curd for a super tart and sweet flavor. This would be a great addition to a dessert buffet along with other pie recipes like a German Chocolate Pecan Pie or a Buttermilk Pie with Walnut Streusel.
- Pie crust- You can make your own homemade or buy it.
- Sugar- Every great dessert uses sugar in the recipe.
- Cornmeal- This will be used as a thickening agent.
- Flour- Use all-purpose flour for the best results.
- Eggs- These will need to be at room temperature.
- Lemon Zest– Be sure to zest your lemon before juicing them.
- Butter- Use unsalted butter to control the amount of salt.
- Lemon Juice- Use fresh lemon juice for the best flavoring.
- Lemon Curd- This will give the pie texture and more flavor. Find the best lemon curd homemade recipe here.
How to make Lemon Chess Pie
Prepare a pre-made pie crust by following the package instructions. Set aside.
Set the oven to 375 degrees.
Add the sugar, cornmeal, flour, and eggs to a large bowl and whisk to combine.
Add in the melted butter, lemon juice, and lemon zest and combine.
Pour the filling into the prepared pie crust and spread using a spatula.
Place into the preheated oven and bake for 35 minutes or until the filling is set.
Take out of the oven when finished, then, allow the pie to rest for about 2 hours to cool on a wire rack.
Add some lemon curd on top and then, put it into the fridge for 2 hours to chill.
When ready to serve, add some whipped cream on top.
Why is it Called Cheese Pie?
This pie has an unknown origin to its name. However, it is possible that it is called chess pie from ‘cheese pie’ because of the custard-like filling. This filling consisting of egg, butter, and sugar.
Can I Use Bottled Lemon Instead of Fresh?
You can use bottled lemon for this Chess pie recipe if need be. However, using fresh lemon juice will give the best-enhanced flavor to this recipe. I recommend using fresh over artificial any day.
More Pie Recipes:
- Blueberry Muffin Cheesecake Pie
- Cinnamon Roll Sweet Potato Pie
- Pumpkin Gingerbread Whoopie Pies
- Chocolate Sweet Potato Pie
Lemon Chess Pie Recipe
- 1 ready-made deep dish pie crust
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 tbsp cornmeal
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3 large eggs
- 3 tbsp melted butter
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- zest of one lemon
- 1 cup lemon curd
- Bake ready-made pie crust according to package directions.
- Remove and set to the side.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
- In a large bowl combine sugar, cornmeal, flour, and eggs.
- Mix to combine using a whisk.
- Stir in melted butter, lemon juice, and lemon zest.
- Mix well to combine.
- Pour the lemon mixture into the prepared pie crust, spread evenly.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until filling is set.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 2 hours on a wire rack.
- Top with lemon curd.
- Place into the refrigerator to chill for 2 hours.
- When chilled, top with whipped cream.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.