Lemon Meringue Cupcakes
Lemon Meringue Cupcakes are one of my absolute favorite flavors. Lemon and cupcakes, topped with meringue. I don’t think it gets much better than this sweet and tart cupcake.
Lemon Meringue Cupcakes Recipe
Anyone who loves lemon meringue pie is going to love this easy recipe. These cupcakes are moist, topped with lemon curd, and then finished off with meringue.
- Lemon Cake mix- Using a cake mix helps to save time.
- Water- This is the water that is used in the cake mix.
- Unsalted butter- Always use unsalted butter to control the salt content.
- Eggs- You need eggs for the cake batter and for the meringue.
- Sugar- You need white sugar to make the meringue.
- Salt- Salt brings out the flavor in baked goods.
- Cream of tartar- Cream of tartar is used to stabilize the meringue.
- Pure vanilla extract- Use pure vanilla to get the best flavor.
- Lemon curd- This is the lemon in the lemon meringue cupcakes. Find the best homemade lemon curd recipe here.
How to Make Lemon Meringue Cupcakes
Beat the ingredients for the cake until it is well combined and then fill the cupcake liners 3/4 of the way full.
Bake the cupcakes for 19 minutes in a preheated 350 degree oven.
Allow the cupcakes to cool completely.
Next, make the meringue.
Use a double boiler, mix everything together except the vanilla.
Simmer the water and heat the mixture until it reaches 165 degree on a candy thermometer. Be sure to stir to ensure even cooking.
Once done, use a stand mixer to beat the egg whites for about 5 to 7 minutes.
Once the egg whites start to stiffen, add the vanilla.
Assemble the Cupcakes
Scoop the meringue into a piping bag.
Add 2 tablespoons of lemon curd to the top of the cupcake and then add the meringue.
Use a kitchen blow torch to toast the top of the meringue.
What is Meringue?
Meringue is a mixture of egg whites and sugar. It is whipped into a fluffy mixture that is then baked. It is silky smooth and has a decadent flavor.
Do You Have to Cook Meringue?
Yes, but it does not have to be cooked until it is crispy. When you make it on top of pies or in this case, cupcakes, you brown the top and it gently cooks the egg whites.
More Lemon Dessert Recipes
- Italian Lemon Cake Recipe
- Mini Lemon Cheesecake
- Lemon Meringue Cheesecake
- No-Bake Lemon Icebox Cake
- Lemon Blackberry Cupcakes
Lemon Meringue Cupcakes Recipe
- 1 Cupcake pan
- cupcake liners
- 1 box Lemon Cake mix
- 1 C water
- 1/3 C unsalted butter softened
- 3 large eggs
Marshmallow Meringue frosting
- 1 C sugar
- 4 large egg whites
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp cream of tarter
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 large disposable piping bag
- 10 oz lemon curd
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line cupcake pan with the liners
- Using a hand or standing mixer, beat together all ingredients until combined and mixed
- Scoop ¾ batter into the liners
- Bake in the oven for 19 minutes or until a light golden brown
- Allow to cool completely
Marshmallow Meringue frosting Directions
- Using a double broiler, mix all ingredients except the vanilla in a large heat safe bowl
- Pour the mixed ingredients into the bowl of a standing mixer
- Place the bowl over the prepared double broiler
- Start to simmer the water and heat the mixture until the candy thermometer reaches 165 ℉ and all the sugar has dissolved, about 5-10 minutes from when the water starts to simmer.
- While heating, gently mix to ensure even cooking
- Once all the sugar has dissolved and the mix is 165 ℉, remove from heat and place the bowl in a standing mixture and mix on medium high for 5-7 minutes until the egg whites stiffen up and the mixture starts to cool.
- Once it starts to stiffen up , add the vanilla.
- Scoop the marshmallow frosting into the disposable piping bag
- Spoon on 2 tbsp of lemon curd onto the top of the cupcake
- Pipe the marshmallow meringue onto the top of the lemon curd
- Using a kitchen torch, toast the meringue