Homemade Nutter Butters
These Homemade Nutter Butters are the tastier, softer, creamier version of the classic cookie. This recipe is one you’ll make you’ll make over and over again.
We are a family totally obsessed with peanut butter over here. Because of that, these cookies have become the most requested recipe of all time. Although, we’re still really crazy about Peanut Butter Stuffed Cookies and Peanut Butter S’More Cookies!
In fact, here is a whole section of peanut butter recipes!
Homemade Nutter Butters
Even if you’re normally not a Nutter Butter fan you’ll love these. This recipe puts those store bought cookies to shame! Yes, they are that good.
They are rich, creamy and just melt in your mouth. And since they only take about 10 minutes to bake, they’re a dessert you can get done quick.
How To Make Homemade Nutter Butters
Making a homemade Nutter Butter cookie is actually pretty easy! Plus, if you already have a favorite peanut butter cookie recipe you know by heart, you can totally use that and fill it with our peanut butter filling.
Here are a couple of tips:
- Make sure your butter is softened.
- Bring your egg to room temperature.
- Be sure to mix the ingredients in the specific order listed.
- The higher quality vanilla, the better tasting the cookie.
Making The Classic Peanut Shape
To make the peanut shape, roll out a “log” shape and then press your fork down to flatten it. Then, just pinch the sides.
Not to worry though, you can totally make these in just a regular circular shape. Heck, you could make them in any shape you want. They taste great no matter what!
To make these Homemade Nutter Butters follow along with the recipe below and enjoy!
Homemade Nutter Butter Cookies
- 1 1/2 C flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 C unsalted butter softened
- 1 C light brown sugar
- 1 C smooth peanut butter
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 C sugar to roll the dough in
Peanut Butter Filling:
- 1/4 C unsalted butter softened
- 1/2 C smooth peanut butter
- 1 1/2 C powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp whole milk
- 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper
- In a small bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- Using a standing mixer, cream together butter, brown sugar and peanut butter.
- Mix in the egg and vanilla until combined.
- Gradually mix in the dry ingredients until just blended.
- Form dough into 1 inch balls.
- Shape into a log and roll log in sugar.
- Place logs on cookie sheet about 2 inches apart.
- Using the tines of a fork, make a criss-cross pattern in the dough.
- Pinch the middle of the cookie to make a peanut shape.
- Bake 10-12 minutes, until lightly browned on the edges and still soft in center.
- Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Using a standing mixer, beat butter on medium speed until fluffy.
- Beat in peanut butter, 1 cup powdered sugar, the milk and vanilla.
- Gradually beat in remaining powdered sugar until smooth.
- Pair up cookies to their respective size partners
- Spoon 1 tablespoon of filling onto the bottom cookie
- Place the top cookie onto the top of the filling and create a sandwich