Homemade Strawberry Cake with Strawberry Buttercream Frosting
When you are looking for the perfect Valentine’s Day cake, you have to make this Homemade Strawberry Cake Recipe. A moist fluffy cake that is filled with homemade frosting, this cake is perfect for a simple dessert that can be made for a special occasion or for a simple weeknight treat.
When it comes to dessert, I love making a layered cake. If you like layer cake too, you have to try Layered Blue Velvet Cake.
Homemade Strawberry Cake Recipe
Layer cakes remind me of buying a special dessert. Most people do not think to make this type of cake at home. While many think they are complicated to make, they are actually extremely easy.
Ingredients You Will Need:
- Strawberry puree
- Pure vanilla extract
- Strawberry extract
- Pink gel food coloring
- Cake flour
- Baking powder
- Kosher salt
- Canola oil
- Unsalted sweet cream butter
- Powdered sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Heavy whipping cream
How to Make Homemade Strawberry Cake
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and then spray the cake with baking spray.
In a bowl, combine the eggs, strawberry puree, vanilla, strawberry extract, and pink food coloring and whisk it together.
Using a mixer, mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
Slowly, beat together the butter and canola oil.
Once it starts to look like coarse sand, slowly beat in the egg mixture.
The batter will be thick and fluffy.
Spread the batter evenly through the cake pans.
Bake the cake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Set the cake aside and let the cake cool completely
Use a mixer, cream together the butter, vanilla, powdered sugar, diced strawberries, and heavy cream. Beat it until it is creamy and formed stiff peaks.
Add one cup of the frosting into a large piping bag and prepare to decorate the cake.
After the cake has cooled, use a cake leveler to cut the domes off the top. Place the first cake on the cake board. Add one scoop of frosting onto the middle of the cake and smooth it evenly. Repeat this with every layer and then finish frosting the cake until it is smooth.
Using the piping bag you filled earlier, pipe dollops of frosting on top, and then place strawberries in the middle of the cake.
How To Make Strawberry Puree:
Place strawberries, sugar, lemon juice and salt into a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
Once bubbling, reduce heat to low and let slowly reduce until berries begin to break up and liquid is almost gone.
Occasionally stir the mixture to prevent burning. Add in lemon and salt. Transfer to another container and let cool before use. Makes about 1 1/2 to 2 cups.
Can This Recipe Be Used For Strawberry Cupcakes Instead?
Cupcakes are the perfect portion size and I love making them. This cake recipe is versatile and can easily be turned into Strawberry cupcakes instead. After making the strawberry batter, fill cupcake tins with cupcake liners and then fill the liners ⅔ of the way full. Once the cupcakes are baked, use frosting in a piping bag to add the icing to the top of each cupcake.
Tips for Frosting This Best Homemade Strawberry Cake
When you are frosting this cake, you want to make sure you have cut the domes off each cake. This lets the cake sit flat and will keep it from toppling over. Make sure to add about a cup of frosting to each layer. Using an angled spatula, make the frosting even and smooth. Some of the frosting will drip over the edges. This is ok. Smooth that along the sides.
Homemade Strawberry Cake
- 1 large piping bag fitted with star tip
- 3 9 inch round cake pans
- Cake leveler
- 1 12 inch cake board
- Angled icing spatula
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 C strawberry puree
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tsp strawberry extract
- 2 to 3 drops Pink gel food coloring
- 3 C cake flour
- 1 3/4 C sugar
- 1 tbsp plus 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 C canola oil
- 1/2 C unsalted sweet cream butter
Strawberry Frosting ingredients
- 2 C unsalted sweet cream butter softened
- 6 C powdered sugar
- 4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 C finely diced strawberries
- 5-7 TBSP heavy whipping cream
- Strawberries for topping
Strawberry Cake directions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray the cake pans with pam baking spray, set aside
- In a separate bowl, combine eggs, strawberry puree, vanilla, strawberry extract, pink food coloring, whisk until combined
- Using a standing mixer, whisk together the cake flour, sugar, baking powder and salt until combined
- Slowly beat in the butter and canola oil until combined
- Once the mixture looks like coarse sand, gradually beat in the egg mixture until combined.
- The batter will be very thick and fluffy but so good!
- Evenly divide the cake batter
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool completely
- Using a standing mixer, cream together the butter, vanilla, powdered sugar, diced strawberries and heavy whipping cream until combined and creamy and stiff with peaks
- Scoop 1 C of frosting into the large piping bag
Directions to prepare the cake:
- Once cake rounds have cooled, remove from cake pans and place onto a cutting board
- Using the cake leveler, remove the domes of the cakes and place one cake round onto the cake board
- Scoop 1 C of the frosting onto the middle of the cake
- Using the angled spatula, smooth the frosting out
- Place the second cake layer onto the first layer
- Repeat steps with the frosting and remaining cake layer
- Once you have built your cake, scoop the remaining frosting onto the top of the cake and use the angled spatula to smooth it out
- Frost the entire cake until smooth
- Pipe dollops of frosting on top
- Place strawberries in the middle of the cake