Homemade Strawberry Cake is a moist fluffy cake that is filled with homemade strawberry frosting. This easy cake recipe is perfect for a simple dessert or special occasion like Valentine’s Day.
Homemade Strawberry Cake Recipe
Layered cakes can seem intimidating to make from scratch, but you will be surprised at how simple it is. Plus, a good homemade cake is much better than anything you could buy. This strawberry cake recipe is one of them. It’s delicious!
When it comes to dessert, I love making a layered cake. If you like layer cake too, you have to try Layered Blue Velvet Cake.
Ingredients You Will Need:
- Strawberry puree – this can be store bought or homemade which we list the recipe below.
- Flavoring – you need vanilla and strawberry extract.
- Flour – make sure to use cake flour and not all-purpose.
- Eggs – 4 eggs are needed.
- Sugar – granulated sugar is used in this recipe.
- Baking powder – this helps the cake to rise with a fluffy texture.
- Strawberry Frosting – you will need unsalted butter, diced strawberries, heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar and vanilla.
- Strawberries – fresh strawberries are used for decorating and making the puree if you choose to do so.
How to Make Homemade Strawberry Cake
- Preheat oven and prepare the pans with baking spray.
- Whisk together the wet ingredients.
- Add in the dry ingredients.
- Beat in the butter and canola oil.
- Spread the mixture evenly in the cake pans.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
How To Make Strawberry Frosting
- Mix together the ingredients until creamy.
- Spread frosting in between layers and outside of cake.
Although you can purchase pre-made strawberry puree, it’s incredibly simple to make it at home with only a few ingredients.
- Add ingredients into a saucepan and simmer until thickened.
- Once cooked, transfer to a container and cool.
Other Strawberry Cake Recipes
Can This Recipe Be Used For Strawberry Cupcakes Instead?
Cupcakes are the perfect portion size and I love making them. This cake recipe is versatile and can easily be turned into Strawberry cupcakes instead. After making the strawberry batter, fill cupcake tins with cupcake liners and then fill the liners ⅔ of the way full. Once the cupcakes are baked, use frosting in a piping bag to add the icing to the top of each cupcake.
Tips for Frosting The Best Homemade Strawberry Cake
When you are frosting this cake, you want to make sure you have cut the domes off each cake. This lets the cake sit flat and will keep it from toppling over. Make sure to add about a cup of frosting to each layer. Using an angled spatula, make the frosting even and smooth. Some of the frosting will drip over the edges. This is ok. Smooth that along the sides.
Homemade Strawberry Cake
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cup strawberry puree
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tsp strawberry extract
- 2 to 3 drops Pink gel food coloring
- 3 cup cake flour
- 1 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp plus 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
Strawberry Puree ingredients
- 1 pound strawberries fresh or frozen
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 pinch salt
Strawberry Frosting ingredients
- 2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 6 cup powdered sugar
- 4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup finely diced strawberries
- 5-7 Tbsp heavy whipping cream
- Strawberries for topping optional
Strawberry Puree directions
- Place strawberries, sugar, lemon juice and salt into a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Once bubbling, reduce heat to low and let slowly reduce until berries begin to break up and liquid is almost gone.
- Occasionally stir the mixture to prevent burning.
- Transfer to another container and let cool before use. Makes about 1 1/2 to 2 cups.
Strawberry Cake directions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray the cake pans with baking spray, set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine eggs, strawberry puree, vanilla, strawberry extract, pink food coloring, whisk until combined.
- Using a standing mixer, whisk together the cake flour, sugar, baking powder and salt until combined.
- Slowly beat in the butter and canola oil until combined.
- Once the mixture looks like coarse sand, gradually beat in the egg mixture until combined.
- The batter will be very thick and fluffy but so good!
- Evenly divide the cake batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool completely.
- Using a standing mixer, cream together the butter, vanilla, powdered sugar, diced strawberries and heavy whipping cream until combined and creamy.
- Scoop 1 cup of frosting into the large piping bag.
Directions to prepare the cake:
- Once cake rounds have cooled, remove from cake pans and place onto a cutting board.
- Using the cake leveler, remove the domes of the cakes and place one cake round onto the cake board.
- Scoop 1 cup of the frosting onto the middle of the cake.
- Using the angled spatula, smooth the frosting out.
- Place the second cake layer onto the first layer.
- Repeat steps with the frosting and remaining cake layer.
- Once you have built your cake, scoop the remaining frosting onto the top of the cake and use the angled spatula to smooth it out.
- Frost the entire cake until smooth.
- Pipe dollops of frosting on top.
- Place strawberries in the middle of the cake.
- 1 large piping bag fitted with star tip
- 3 9 inch round cake pans
- Cake leveler
- 1 12 inch cake board
- Angled icing spatula