We make this Hot Toddy Recipe for a Cold often, especially during the winter. This tastes so much better than any store bought cough syrup and you know what’s in it. This hot mixture will help cure up those crummy symptoms of the common cold using ingredients most of us already have on hand. We also have the BEST Natural Migraine Remedies if you are suffering for that as well. There are lots of variations that can be made with this Hot Toddy recipe and we give you lots of tips below.
How to make our favorite Hot Toddy Recipe for a Cold
Grandma’s have been making this Hot Toddy recipe for years and insist that it’s the best way to get rid of a cold. You know what…they are right and it’s so easy to make!
We prefer dark rum or bourbon. However, whisky or brandy will work just fine. Whatever you prefer or have on hand.
Variations and Tips
- Leave out the Alcohol – You can leave out the alcohol of this drink to help defeat that cold with just the warmth, lemon, and honey.
- Tea options – chamomile, ginger, elderberry, green tea, and black tea. However, plain hot water works great as well. We just like to give it that extra boost.
- Adding Apple Cider Vinegar – You can add a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar. The acid from the apple cider vinegar brings out all the flavors of the rest of the ingredients of the hot toddy without making it taste too sweet.
- Sweetener – You can replace the honey with maple syrup. This will give it a different flavor, but will still taste good.
- Spices – you can add any winter spices you’d like: a cinnamon stick, star anise, cloves, allspice berries, and whatever else you fancy.
Hot Toddy Recipe for a Cold
- 2 tbsp bourbon
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup boiling-hot water or brewed chamomile tea
- Pour the bourbon, honey, and lemon juice in a 6-ounce mug.
- Top off with your hot water or brewed tea.
- Stir until the honey is dissolved.
We’re so excited for you to make and experiment this hot toddy recipe for yourselves. Let us know in the comments how you make your favorite hot toddy.
You may also like…
Make your own Natural Cleaners
Leave a Review!
We LOVE hearing from you! Submit your question or comment here.
Your email address will not be published.
2 comments on “Hot Toddy Recipe for a Cold”
This is so good I’d drink it even if I didn’t have a cold!
We’ve used something similar to this for years. Tbsp lemon juice, 1 tbsp honey, 1 tbsp whiskey (or Burbank or whatever). Mix lemon juice and warm honey together then add liquor. Sometimes we use 2 tbsp of each. We even use it for our kids!