If you love tangy cookies, this Key Lime Cookies recipe is perfect for you. This recipe is made with fresh lime zest as well as some other things that most people have in their kitchen already on hand. In just a few minutes, this recipe will allow the flavorful cookies to be ready for your eating enjoyment!
Key Lime Cookies
These key lime cookies are so good and are great to enjoy after dinner, or throughout the day. This recipe uses the zest of two limes, Vanilla, heavy cream, milk, and more. The zest of the limes in this recipe, allow for a slightly tangy flavor. If you enjoy ingredients for cookie recipes that allow for sweet, tangy, or savory flavors, then these Cranberry Orange Shortbread Cookies or Chocolate Rum Crinkle Cookies could be other recipes to add to your favorites.
- Flour- Use cake flour for this recipe for the best results.
- Baking Powder- This will be used to allow your ingredients to rise in the oven.
- Salt- This will bring out the flavors in your recipe.
- Butter- Use unsalted butter to control the amount of salt in the recipe.
- Sugar- Every great dessert recipe uses sugar as an ingredient.
- Eggs- Be sure to use your eggs at room temperature.
- Heavy Cream- This will help with the consistency of your dessert.
- Vanilla- Use pure vanilla extract, for the best flavoring.
- Lime Zest- Be sure to zest your limes before juicing.
- Powdered Sugar- This sugar is best for homemade icing.
- Milk- You can use whole or 2% milk.
How to make Key Lime Cookies
Set the oven to 350 degrees.
Add the flour, baking powder, and salt into a medium bowl and set aside.
Add the butter, sugar, and lime zest into a standing mixer and beat until pale and fluffy. This should take about three minutes.
Beat in the egg white, heavy cream, and vanilla until combined.
Turn the speed down to low and in just 3 scoops, add in your dry mixture. You will want to mix this until fully incorporated. Use a spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
You will want to work with one heaping tablespoon of dough at a time. Place the dough into your hands and roll them into balls. Place the dough onto the prepared baking sheets, arranging them two inches apart.
You will then press down the tops of the ball slightly using your hands.
Place the cookies into the oven and bake for about 8 to 10 minutes, you will want to rotate halfway through until the cookies just begin to brown around the edges.
Add the icing to the top of the finished cookies, then set it aside for the icing to harden.
Serve and Enjoy!
What can I use instead of key lime juice?
If you can not find key limes you can use regular limes. It is a slightly different flavor though. Whole foods and Traders Joe, as well as other stores, offer key limes all year long.
Can key lime sugar cookies be frozen?
You can definitely freeze your key lime sugar cookies. All you have to do is place the cookies into an airtight container or Ziploc bag. Store them correctly, so you place them into the freezer, and it will allow the cookies to have a longer shelf life.
More Cookie Recipes:
- Chewy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
- S’mores Stuffed Cookies
- Vanilla Meltaway Cookies
- Cake Mix Cookies (3 ways)
Key Lime Cookies
- 2 C powdered sugar
- 3-4 TBSP of milk
- Zest of two limes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside
- Using a stand mixer, beat together butter, sugar, and lime zest until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes
- Add the egg white, heavy cream, and vanilla, and beat until combined
- Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture in three scoops, mixing until incorporated, scraping down the bowl as needed
- Working with 1 heaping tablespoon of dough at a time, roll into balls and space 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets
- Using your hands, press down the tops of the balls slightly
- Bake until the cookies are just beginning to brown around the edges, 8 to 10 minutes, rotating the sheet halfway through baking
- Let the cookies cool completely on the baking sheet
- While the cookies bake, grab a medium bowl and hand whisk, and mix the icing ingredients until combined
- Pour icing over top the cookies and allow icing to harden
- Serve and enjoy!