Red Hot Cookies
These Red Hot Cookies bring together spicy cinnamon and sweet shortbread with so much flavor in one amazing cookie. These delicious cookies are truly unique and are sure to become a hit with your family.
Red Hot Cookies
Shortbread cookies are already one of the best cookies, but then you add this tasty twist of spicy cinnamon and these melt in your mouth cookies become something all new. While these cookies have a cinnamon kick, it isn’t overwhelming and certainly makes for an amazing cookie treat. With a slightly pink color, these Red Hot cookies are perfect for a Christmas cookie, Valentine’s Day cookie or whenever you want a delicious twist on shortbread goodness.
Is This Shortbread Red Hots Recipe Crispy
Shortbread cookies are known for being slightly crispy but tender cookie. A good shortbread cookie will be buttery and simply melt in your mouth. With these shortbread red hot cookies, you get the best shortbread cookie that has everything you want in a cookie.
What if I want More Cinnamon Flavor my Cookies with Red Hots Recipe
If this cookie does not pack enough of a cinnamon punch for you, you can also add in some cinnamon oil. This brings more cinnamon flavor to the cookie without disturbing the balance of the ingredients, like adding more Red Hots crumbs would do. You can the amount of cinnamon flavor with more or less cinnamon oil.
Can I Add Whole Red Hots to these Cookies
I have seen Red Hot Cookies that only have the ground up Red Hots and I have seen others that have the ground up candies and then whole Red Hots pressed into the cookies. This Red Hot Cookies recipe only calls for ground Red Hots but you could add whole pieces as well if you prefer.
Ingredients in Red Hot Cookies
- Unsalted butter
- Vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar
- Red hots
- All purpose flour
- White chocolate bark or almond bark
How to Make Cookies with Red Hots Recipe
Add the Red Hots into a food processor and grind them until they are in powder form. You need 1/2 cup for the cookies themselves and then a little extra if you want to dust the top of the cookies with it.
In a mixing bowl, cream the butter until it is light and fluffy. Add in the vanilla, powdered sugar, Red Hots powder, and cornstarch. Combine well until the dough comes together. The dough will seem crumbly until it comes together.
Divide the dough in half. Roll the dough into a 6 inch log. Wrap it well in plastic and refrigerate it for at least an hour.
Remove the dough from the refrigerator and preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Slice the dough into 1/2 slices and place on a cookie sheet. Bake the cookies for 10 minutes.
Allow the cookies to cool for 5 minutes before moving to a cooling rack.
Once the cookies have cooled, melt the chocolate bark.
Dip or drizzle each cookie. If dusting the cookies with more Red Hot powder, do it now.
Store the cookies in an airtight container.
Red Hot Cookies
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup grounded up red hots
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 6 oz white chocolate bark or almond bark
- Using a food processor, grind up the red hots until they are in powder form. You will need 1/2 cup grinded up for the cookie, grind a little more if you would like to dust the chocolate on top.
- In a large bowl, mix the butter up for a few minutes until it’s light and creamy. Add in the vanilla, powdered sugar, 1/2 cup grinded red hots and cornstarch and mix until everything is well combined and the dough comes together. If the dough seems crumbly, mix a little more and it will come together.
- Divide the dough in half and roll into a log that is about 6 inches long. Wrap the log up in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour or longer.
- Set the dough out for a few minutes and preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Slice the dough into 1/2 inch slices and place onto a cookie sheet about 2 inches apart. Bake for 10 minutes and allow the cookies to cool for 5 minutes before moving to a cooling rack or wax paper.
- Once the cookies are cooled, melt down the chocolate bark either using a double broiler method or 30 seconds in the microwave, stir and another 10-20 seconds until it’s melted. Dip each cookie, drizzle with chocolate or decorate however you would like.
- Store in an airtight container. These are really good second day! The red hot taste will become stronger as they completely cool.