This Old-Fashioned Gingerbread Cake is the perfect addition to your holiday dessert menu. Rich homemade gingerbread is easy enough to whip up that you can make this any day of the week. Top gingerbread cake with a perfect complimentary homemade cinnamon frosting for the ideal decadent but simple holiday dessert.
If you can not get enough gingerbread, you are going to love Gingerbread Oreo Truffles
Old-Fashioned Gingerbread Cake
What is Gingerbread Made Of?
Gingerbread has a very specific and unique flavor combination. This dessert whether it is in cookie or cake form, brings together ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, anise, and cardamon in any combination and is usually sweetened with molasses, corn syrup, honey, and brown sugar. There are variations to different recipes. This recipe uses molasses and brown sugar as the sweeteners and uses ginger and cinnamon to bring out the gingerbread flavor.
Can I Freeze Gingerbread Cake?
This cake is easy to freeze so that you have a gingerbread cake whenever you want it or when you have more cake than you can eat before it goes bad. If you are making this cake specifically for the freezer, you might want to wait to frost it until you are ready to serve it. It will make storing slightly easier.
However, if you do not want to have to frost the cake later, you can still freeze this cake with the frosting. If you are freezing the cake with the frosting, you will want to freeze the cake, unwrapped, before you freeze the cake wrapped. This will let the frosting become frozen and then it will not stick to the plastic wrap. When you are ready to thaw the cake, you will want to remove the plastic wrap before it thaws.
Ingredients for Gingerbread Cake Recipe
- Unsalted butter
- Light brown sugar
- Ground ginger
- Ground cinnamon
- Kosher salt
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
Pure vanilla extract
Heavy whipping cream
How to Make Old-Fashioned Gingerbread Cake
For this cake recipe, you will begin by preheating your oven and spraying the baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. You will also line the baking pan with parchment paper.
Begin by adding the butter to a large mixing bowl, then add boiling water over the butter. Set this aside for a few minutes, and then whisk it together until the butter is fully melted.
Next, you will add in the brown sugar, molasses, and egg, whisking until well combined.
Slowly add in the flour, ginger, cinnamon, salt, baking powder, and baking soda, and continue whisking until the batter is smooth.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake as directed.
Old-Fashioned Gingerbread Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prep baking pan with cooking spray.
- Line the baking pan with parchment paper.
- Add the butter to the large mixing bowl. Pour the boiling water over the butter in the bowl. Set the bowl aside for a few minutes. Whisk the butter and water until the butter has melted.
- Add the brown sugar,molasses, and egg to the bowl. Whisk until all of the ingredients are well combined.
- Slowly add the flour, ginger, cinnamon, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Whisk until smooth.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25-35 minutes (Or until the inserted toothpick comes out clean)
- Set aside to cool.
- Using a standing mixer, beat together all ingredients
- Beat frosting ingredients until smooth and fluffy
- Cut into pieces.
- Can serve with dollops of frosting on top.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.
- 1 large piping bag with star tip
- 9 x 9 inch baking pan
- cooking spray
- Large mixing bowl