This tasty no-bake Peanut Butter Icebox Cake is the perfect summer dessert for chocolate and peanut butter lovers. It’s layered with graham crackers, creamy peanut butter filling, and Reese’s peanut butter cups, then frozen for the ultimate cool-down treat!
The Best No-Bake Peanut Butter Cake
No one likes to bake during the summer. I try to leave my oven off during July and August so our house stays cool. This is why I adore all types of no-bake desserts. Since peanut butter is one of my favorite things, I frequently make this peanut butter icebox cake. The cream cheese adds a nice tang to the creamy peanut butter filling. Chocolate graham crackers tie the whole thing together since it’s garnished with peanut butter cups!
If you love peanut butter cups, peanut butter or chocolate in your ice cream, or peanut butter straight out of the jar – you have got to try this recipe. It’s quick and easy to make, and is a hit at parties or enjoyed after a long, hot summer day.
Ingredients You’ll Need
This peanut butter no-bake dessert requires ingredients that are very easy to find and don’t cost a fortune.
- Chocolate Graham Crackers: When frozen with the filling, these will soften and give you a cake-like texture.
- Cream Cheese: Leave this out at room temperature for at least 30 minutes to soften. This is necessary so it mixes with the other ingredients well and comes out nice and smooth!
- Peanut Butter: Use your favorite brand.
- Powdered Sugar
- Whipped Topping: use Cool Whip or you can make our easy Homemade Whipped Cream recipe.
- Peanut Butter Cups: this is optional.
How to Make Peanut Butter Icebox Cake
Making the filling of this easy no-bake cake is the most preparation you will do, and even that is a breeze! I love simple desserts that still taste amazing.
- Make the Filling. Beat the cream cheese and peanut butter in a large bowl until smooth. Then, add the powdered sugar. Finally, fold in the whipped topping. Make sure all of the ingredients are well combined.
- Prep the Baking Dish. Line a 9×9 baking dish with plastic wrap. Make sure there is an overhang on every side. This will make it easy to serve the icebox cake when it’s ready.
- Layer the Dessert. Layer the bottom of the dish with graham crackers. Spread a third of the peanut butter mixture evenly on top. Repeat this process two more times. Crush the remaining graham crackers and sprinkle on the top.
- Freeze. Fold the extra plastic wrap over the top of the peanut butter icebox cake and place it in the freezer. Freeze for a minimum of 8 hours or overnight.
- Thaw. Remove from the freezer and let it thaw for about an hour before slicing. This will soften it up just enough to make it easy to cut.
- Garnish the Cake. Sprinkle with peanut butter cups before serving. Enjoy!
Tips for This Peanut Butter No-Bake Dessert
- Store any leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or keep frozen.
- You must allow the cake to sit in the freezer for at least 8 hours. This helps to soften the graham crackers and give them a cake-like texture.
- I recommend an electric hand mixer to make the filling. It will give you the smoothest result and combine the ingredients the best.
Substitutions and Variations
- Instead of creamy peanut butter, you can use crunchy.
- Swap the chocolate graham crackers for plain or chocolate cookies like Oreos.
- Top with other candies like Reese’s pieces or peanut butter M&Ms. You can even use a combination of your favorites!
More No-Bake Chocolate and Peanut Butter Desserts
- Nutella No Bake Cookies
- No Bake Oreo Cheesecake
- No Bake Eclair Cake
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie
- No-Bake Reese’s Peanut Butter Bars
Peanut Butter Icebox Cake
- In a large bowl beat together the the cream cheese and peanut butter together until smooth.
- Mix in the powdered sugar until smooth.
- Next fold in the whipped topping.
- Line an 8×8 baking dish with plastic wrap leaving plenty of overhang on both sides.
- Place a layer of graham crackers down the bottom. I usually do 3 across and then break off a couple pieces to fill in the gap.
- Place a third of the peanut butter mixture on the graham crackers and spread out evenly.
- Next top with graham crackers again.
- Again with the peanut butter mixture, then graham crackers, then peanut butter then crushed up graham crackers.
- Fold the plastic over the top of the cake and place in the freezer overnight or at least 8 hours.
- Before serving allow to thaw for an hour.
- Garnish with peanut butter cups, slice and serve!