Our Valentines Day Cake is absolutely beautiful and super tasty! It’s a triple layer pink and white cake with homemade vanilla frosting on top.
We’re making all sorts of red, white and pink treats for Cupid’s holiday. To me, this holiday has the best color scheme of them all. Go check out some of our favorites like a Valentine’s Day Cheesecake, Valentine Thumbprint Cookies and Cake Batter Fudge.
Valentines Day Cake
This cake uses one of my favorite baking methods: taking a plain box cake and turning it into something beautiful. Absolutely anyone can make this cake that looks like it came from the bakery.
- White Cake Mix
- Food Coloring
How To Make A Valentines Day Cake
Ok, here’s what we’re going to do… Start by mixing up all of your cake ingredients. When it’s all mixed together, seperate the batter into two bowls. So far so good, right? Using the gel coloring, dye one bowl of batter pink.
Now that you’ve got some pink batter and white batter, spray your two cake pans. Scoop alternate colors of cake batter into the cake pans to create a fun Valentine tye-dye effect. You don’t have to be really careful wit this, it does not need to be perfect.
Homemade Vanilla Frosting
This is a super easy icing recipe you can use for all sorts of desserts!
- Powdered Sugar
- Whipping Cream
- Food Coloring
Beat together all your ingredients except the food coloring until it forms stiff peaks. Just like we did with the batter, we’re going to seperate the icing. But, we’re going to put 1/3 into one bowl and 2/3 into another bowl. Color the smaller bowl with food coloring. Basically, you want more white frosting than pink.
Layer your cake, frosting in between each layer. When it’s all stacked up, add another layer of white frosting.
Then, the fun part! Add your dripping pink icing with sprinkles and the heart in the front.
To make the heart, simple make an outline by gently placing a cookie cutter on the front and pipe it out with icing. Add a few dollops of frosting around the top edge and add maraschino cherries. Slice and enjoy!
Valentines Day Cake
- 2 boxes of white cake mix
- 8 large Egg whites
- 2 ½ C water
- 1 C canola oil
- pink gel food coloring
- 3 - 9 inch round cake pans
- 1 - 10 inch round cake board
Vanilla Frosting Ingredients:
- 3 C unsalted butter softened
- 6 C powdered sugar
- 5 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Pink gel food coloring
- 1 large piping bag with star tip
- 2 medium mixing bowls
- 1 medium piping bag
- 1 medium piping bag with #17 tip
- 3 inch bubble heart cookie cutter
- Valentines day pink and white heart sprinkles
- 1 jar of Maraschino cherries with stems
- Preheat oven to 350 and spray cake pans with pam baking spray
- Using a hand mixer and large bowl, beat all cake ingredients until combined and smooth
- Divide the cake batter into two bowls.
- Mix in a few drops of Pink food coloring into one bowl, leaving the batter in the second bowl white.
- Alternate the batters by scooping in ¼ C of colored batter into each cake pan on top of each other to create a tye dye effect.
- Place into the oven and bake for 28-32 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely before frosting.
- Using a standing mixer, beat all ingredients except for the color until combined and smooth but stiff with peaks.
- Scoop 2 cups of frosting into one of the two medium bowls, and 1 cup of frosting into the other bowl.
- Mix in 2 drops of pink gel food coloring into the bowl with the most frosting.
- Mix in 4 drops of gel food coloring into bowl with the smaller amount.
Building the Cake Directions:
- Scoop 1 C of white frosting into 1 side of the large piping bag with the star tip.
- Scoop 1 C of the light pink frosting into the other side of the same piping bag.
- Place one cake layer onto the cake board and cut the dome off the cake to make an even layer.
- Repeat step with other two layers.
- Scoop 1 C of white frosting onto the bottom layer and spread evenly.
- Place the second cake layer on top and spread evenly 1 more cup of frosting.
- Place the last layer of cake on top and frost with remaining white frosting.
- Place the cake in the fridge to allow the base frosting to harden for about 30 minutes.
- Using the remaining light pink frosting, place into the microwave for about 10 second to soften it.
- Scoop into the piping bag.
- Scoop the darker pink into the other piping bag with the #17 tip.
- Using the piping bag with the lighter pink, cut the tip off the bag.
- Pipe drips around the edge of the cake.
- Sprinkle some of the heart sprinkles onto the drips.
- Lightly push the cookie cutter into the front center of the cake to create an outline.
- Using the darker pink frosting, pipe and fill in the heart.
- Using the larger piping bag with the star tip, pipe dollops of frosting onto the top of the cake.
- Add more sprinkles.
- Top with cherries and enjoy!
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.