Cocoa is a sure way to keep warm this winter, but it is also just a delicious treat to enjoy during the holidays. I love adding cocoa to recipes like these Peppermint Cocoa Jello Shots. These shots are made with cocoa, gelatin, Godiva chocolate liqueur, Smirnoff Peppermint Twist, chocolate chips, and peppermint ingredients.
Candy Cane Cocoa Jello Shots
These shots are a sweet and festive treat that is perfect for parties or potlucks. This is a recipe that will catch anyone’s eye and has a flavor that will keep them coming back for more! I love topping these with a little bit of homemade whipped cream and candy canes.
Key Ingredients You’ll Need
Gelatin: You will need unflavored gelatin powder to be able to get the full flavor of the cocoa.
Cocoa Powder: I like to use Hershey’s brand cocoa powder for the best quality. You will combine it with the evaporated milk and sugar for more sweetness and additional flavor.
Liquor: Smirnoff Peppermint Twist and Godiva Chocolate Liqueur will add an adult twist to the shots, but can be left out if needed.
Toppings: I use chocolate chips, homemade whipped cream, and candy canes on top.
How To Make Peppermint Cocoa Jello Shots
Step 1. Add the water and gelatin into a medium bowl and combine. Set it aside to thicken for 5 minutes. Add the evaporated milk, sugar, and cocoa powder into a medium saucepan and combine. Set to medium-low heat and cook until it starts to simmer. Pour the chocolate mixture into the gelatin and combine until there are no clumps and the gelatin is fully dissolved.
Step 1. Pour in the Godiva chocolate liqueur, Peppermint Schnapps, and vanilla extract and combine until fully incorporated. Add the liquid into 2-ounce shot cups to the rim. Allow the jello to chill in the fridge for 2 hours until set. Add a few chocolate chips on top with a dollop of whipped cream and crushed candy canes. Place a candy stick on for decoration.
Variations For Peppermint Cocoa Jello Shots:
You can use some of the options below to alter the recipe to your liking.
- I like to use white or dark chocolate chips on top instead of milk chocolate chips.
- You can remove the crushed candy canes and candy sticks if you prefer. That’s if you don’t want too much peppermint flavor.
- If you like a stronger and richer chocolate flavor, you can use Hershey’s special dark cocoa.
- You can remove the alcohol if you plan on serving it to children.
Tips & Tricks
- I like to use plastic shot cups with a lid for this recipe. This will make it easier to store them and they can easily be disposed of after eating.
- You can make these shots ahead of time and keep them in the fridge until you are ready to serve them.
More Jello Shot Recipes:
- Root Beer Float Jello Shots
- Blue Hawaiian Jello Shots
- Cherry Bomb Jello Shots
- Red Velvet Jello Shots
Peppermint Cocoa Jello Shots
- 1 ½ cups evaporated milk. 12 ox can
- 2 envelopes gelatin powder unflavored
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup Godiva chocolate liqueur
- ¼ Smirnoff Peppermint Twist
- chocolate chips Mini
- Whip Cream
- Candy Canes Crushed
- Candy cane stick
- In a medium bowl, add water, and unflavored gelatin, and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Let sit for 5 minutes until the mixture is thickened.
- In a medium saucepan add the evaporated milk, sugar, and cocoa powder, and stir to combine. Cook over medium-low heat, and cook until it begins to simmer.
- Add the chocolate mixture into the gelatin mixture, and stir until the gelatin is dissolved and there are no clumps.
- Add the Godiva chocolate liqueur, Peppermint Schnapps, and vanilla extract. Stir to combine.
- Pour mixture into 2-ounce plastic shot cups to the top.
- Place in the refrigerator for 2 hours or until set.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips on each jello cup and top with whip cream and crushed candy canes. Add a candy stick for added flair