These Peppermint Whoopie Pies are the perfect Christmas treat! Soft, fluffy cookies sandwiched together with a sweet peppermint cream filling. They’re like a candy cane in dessert form!
Candy Cane Whoopie Pies for a Christmas Treat
Peppermint Whoopie Pies are the perfect holiday treat. They’re made with a delicious chocolate cake and creamy peppermint filling, so they’re sure to be a hit with everyone this season! You can make them in just 30 minutes or less. And if you want to try something new, we have dozens of other recipes for whoopie pies that are equally as tasty!
So What Is a Whoopie Pie?
A whoopie pie is a dessert or treats that are made with two cookies that are soft in texture. The cookies are normally chocolate and the middle of the sandwich of cookies is a creamy filling.
Important Ingredients You Will Need to Make Peppermint Whoopie Pie
- Vegetable Shortening- The vegetable shortening is a must for these incredible cookies. These cookies are dense but chewy and fluffy all at the same time. Butter would not give the same texture as the vegetable shortening.
- Powdered Sugar- Whenever you are making frosting, you want to use powdered sugar. The powdered sugar dissolved perfectly for a smooth texture that you want in frosting.
- Peppermint Extract- Peppermint extract is what brings this whoopie to life. You can also use peppermint flavoring or peppermint oil to bring in the flavor.
- Candy Canes- Candy canes are used to decorate the top of the peppermint whoopie pies.
Can I Add Crushed Candy Canes to the Filling?
Yes, you can add crushed candy canes to the filling. This will actually add additional texture to the Whoopie pie.
How to Make Peppermint Whoopie Pies
Step 1- Dry Ingredients.
Set the oven to 375 degrees and use parchment paper to line two cookie sheets. In a medium bowl of flour, cocoa powder, and baking soda and whisk to combine.
Step 2- Wet Ingredients.
In a large mixing bowl, add butter, vegetable oil, and brown sugar, and combine using the paddle attachment at low speed until combined. Continue to mix the ingredients while you start to increase the speed to medium and combine for an additional three minutes until fluffy and smooth. Continue to beat for another two minutes. Then, add in the egg and vanilla.
Step 3- Forming the Dough.
Separate the dough into two portions and switch the speed to low. Pour in half of the flour and half of the milk and combine, until fully incorporated (Scrape the sides of the bowl using a rubber spatula if needed.) Pour in the remaining flour and milk and combine until fully incorporated. Form the dough into cookie balls, using a #70 cookie scoop or tablespoon. Arrange the cookie balls on the prepared cookie sheets, about three inches apart.
Step 4- Baking.
Place the cookie sheets in the oven for 10 minutes at 375 degrees. Remove the cookies from the oven and allow them to rest on the cookie sheets for five minutes. Then, transfer to a wire rack to cool thoroughly.
Step 1- Combining the Ingredients.
Using a mixing bowl of an electric mixer, add in the powdered sugar and butter and combine with a paddle attachment, beginning on low and increasing to medium speed for one minute. Switch the speed to high and pour in the heavy cream, vanilla peppermint extract, and salt, and combine for an additional three minutes.
Step 1- Filling the Cookies.
Turn each half of the whoopie pie over, so that the flat side is facing upwards. Put the prepared filling into a pastry bag with a large round tip. Begin at the edge of the cookie and work your way into the middle. Place the second cookie on top and once you have added the filling, Continue until all of the whoopie pies have been made.
Step 2- Topping.
Drizzle melted chocolate chips on top of the whoopie pies and sprinkle with crushed peppermint.
How to Store Whoopie Pies?
Place the whoopie pies into an air-tight container for the best storage method. These can be placed in the fridge or freezer. Storing in the freezer will extend the shelf life greatly.
More Whoopie Pie Recipes:
- Apple Cider Whoopie Pies
- Pumpkin Gingerbread Whoopie Pies
- Pineapple Whoopie Pies with Pineapple Cheesecake Filling
- Pumpkin Whoopie Pies – Filled with Cream Cheese Frosting
Peppermint Whoopie Pie
- 1 2/3 C all-purpose flour
- 2/3 C unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- 4 Tbsp butter room temp
- 4 Tbsp vegetable shortening
- 1/2 C dark brown sugar packed
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 C whole milk
- 2 C powdered sugar
- 4 Tbsp butter room temp
- 3 Tbsp heavy cream
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- Candy Canes crushed
- 1 C Melted Chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line the two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Add the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt to a medium bowl.
- Whisk to blend together. Set aside.
- Add butter, vegetable oil, and brown sugar in a large mixing with a paddle attachment.
- Set on low speed, beat the butter, shortening, and brown sugar until combined.
- Continue beating while increasing the mixing speed to medium.
- Beat for 3 minutes. (Until fluffy and smooth.)
- While beating for another two minutes add in the egg and vanilla extract.
- Divide the dry mixture in half.
- Reduce the mixing speed to low, add one half of the flour and one half of the milk until completely mixed.
- Use a rubber spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add the rest of the flour and milk, beating until all ingredients are completely mixed.
- With a #70 cookie scoop (or a tablespoon) to measure the size of the cookie balls.
- Place each dough ball three inches apart on the prepared cookie sheets, baking one cookie sheet at a time.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the cookie sheets for 5 minutes.
- Transfer the cooled cookies to a cooling rack.
- Set aside the cooling rack until the cookies cool completely.
- Add powdered sugar and butter in a mixing bowl with an electric mixer with a paddle attachment.
- Start on low and slowly increase the speed to medium for one minute.
- Increase the speed to high, adding in the heavy cream, vanilla, peppermint extract, and salt for 3 minutes.
Building the Whoopie Pie:
- Flip each half of the whoopie pies so the flat side is facing up.
- Add a large round tip to a pastry bag.
- Fill a pastry bag with filling.
- With the filling, start on the outside edge and work in a circle inward to the center.
- Place the second half of the whoopie pie, flat side down, on top of the filling.
- Repeat with the rest of the whoopie pies.
- Drizzle left with the melted chocolate chips and garnish with crushed peppermint
- 1 disposable piping bags