Pineapple Trifle is a layered dessert with whipped cream cheese filling, caramelized pineapple, fluffy angel food cake, and a bit of toasted coconut.
Upside Down Pineapple Trifle
This trifle is so sweet and tangy! It is a simple-to-make recipe that uses an array of fruity and sweet ingredients to make a delicious dessert in no time. This recipe is placed in clear glass dishes to see all the tasty layers.
Key Ingredients You’ll Need
Sugar: You will need powdered sugar and brown sugar for a rich and sweet flavor.
Whipped Filling: You will use cream cheese and cool whip to make the filling. Our delicious Homemade whipped cream recipe can be used as well.
Instant Pudding: I love using white chocolate instant pudding, but you can use other flavors of your choosing.
Coconut: I like to use sweetened toasted coconut flakes to add to the trifle and on top.
Pineapple: You will need pineapple tidbits, fresh pineapple with pineapple juice.
Cornstarch: This will help with the thickness and the consistency of the dessert.
Cake: Angel food cake tastes the best with trifle because it is light and fluffy.
How To Make Pineapple Trifle
Step 1. Add the pudding mix into a medium mixing bowl and whisk with 1 cup of milk for 2 minutes. Place in the fridge to chill for 5 minutes. Add the cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla into another large bowl and combine for 1-2 minutes until combined. Put the pudding into the bowl and combine. Add a tub of cool whip and 3/4 cup of the toasted coconut and fold to combine using a silicone spatula. Keep as much air as you can in the mixture before placing it in the fridge to chill.
Step 2. Add the butter into a medium saucepan and melt. Put in the brown sugar and allow it to boil. Drain the juice from the pineapple and add it to the saucepan and combine. Combine the cornstarch and pineapple juice into a small bowl and add to the saucepan. Allow it to boil and cook until the mixture thickens. Add to a bowl and allow it to cool for 10 minutes. Set it into the fridge or freezer to allow it to cool a bit faster.
Step 3. Begin making the layers of the dessert. One layer of cake cubes, pineapple mixture, and cream cheese filling, and repeat until you reach the top of the trifle dish. Add pineapple, toasted coconut, and cherries on top and serve right away.
How Long Does Pineapple Trifle Last?
This trifle can last for about 2-3 days in the fridge. You will want to place it into an airtight container for the best storage method. I recommend eating it right away, but it can be stored.
Can You Freeze?
I do not recommend freezing trifle because it does not freeze well. When it is defrosted, the consistency will change and the cake will become soggy.
More Pineapple Recipes:
- Pineapple Crumb Cake
- 2-ingredient Pineapple Angel Food Cake
- Rum Soaked Pineapple – Two Ingredients
- Pineapple Poke Cake
- 8 oz cream cheese 1 block, softened
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3.3 oz white chocolate instant pudding
- 1 cup milk
- 8 oz cool whip tub
- 1 cup toasted coconut flakes sweetened, divided
- 2- 20 oz can pineapple tidbits in juice – drained
- 3 Tbsp pineapple juice reserved
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- 6 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 angel food cake cut into ¼” cubes
- Maraschino cherries for garnish
- Pineapple rings tidbits, or fresh sliced pineapple for garnish
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk pudding mix with 1 cup milk for 2 minutes. Chill 5 minutes.
- In a separate large bowl, beat cream cheese with powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth, about 1-2 minutes. Add pudding to cream cheese mixture and beat to combine. Using a silicone spatula, gently fold in 1 tub of cool whip and ¾ cup of the toasted coconut, keeping as much air as possible in the mixture. Cover and refrigerate.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter. Add brown sugar and bring to a boil. Add drained pineapple, stirring gently. Mix cornstarch with reserved pineapple juice and add to simmering sugar mixture. Bring back to a boil and cook until mixture thickens. This mixture will continue to thicken as it cools. Pour into a bowl and let cool for at least 10 minutes. Place in the fridge or freezer to speed up cooling, if needed.
- In a clear, deep sided dish; layer cake cubes, pineapple mixture, and cream cheese mixture, repeating layers to the top of the dish. Garnish the top with pineapple, toasted coconut, and maraschino cherries. This desert can be eaten right away, but will benefit from at least an hour of chill time.