This Pineapple upside down cake is seriously the BEST! Topped with a delicious caramelized pineapples and cherries. This classic dessert is super soft and moist, filled with the perfect amount of pineapple flavor!
We love making delicious pineapple desserts like our pineapple upside-down monkey bread, no-bake pineapple dream dessert, pineapple poke cake, and pineapple whipped pie. You will definitely want to check those out as well!
How to make Pineapple Upside Down Cake
We have tried a LOT of pineapple upside-down cakes and this is our favorite. This cake is completely from scratch, but it’s super easy to make! In fact, it takes only 10-15 minutes to prepare.
Topping – Mix your butter and sugar mixture and pour it into a 9 inch square pan. Place the drained pineapple rings and cherries in the pan, and set aside.
Cake Batter – Mix the dry ingredients and wet ingredients separately and then combine. While you’re still mixing, add milk, pineapple juice, and vanilla extract. Spread batter over the pineapple rings in the 9 inch square pan.
Bake – Bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean in the center.
How do I flip an Upside-Down Cake?
- Make sure your cake is fully baked before you flip. You can loosen the edges using a knife to make sure nothing is sticking on the sides.
- You will want to add a heat-proof dish, pan or platter on top of the cake pan. For this cake, you will want to flip with the dish attached right out of the oven. Otherwise the pineapples might stick to the pan if you let it sit to too long.
- Once you flip, leave the pan on the cake/dish for a few minutes to allow the topping to ooze around the edges of the cake.
- Now you can remove the pan and serve the warm cake!
How do I freeze Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
Allow the cake to completely cool and place it in the freezer for 1 hour or so until firm. Then wrap with plastic wrap to store. This can be frozen for up to 3 months.
More Delicious Cake Recipes
Pineapple Upside Down Cake
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 20-oz can 9 pineapple slices in juice, drained (reserve juice)
- 9 10 maraschino cherries
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup butter (softened)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup reserved pineapple juice
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 350°F. Melt butter in the microwave. Pour the melted butter in a 9 inch square pan and then evenly sprinkle with the brown sugar. Arrange pineapple slices over the brown sugar. Place a cherry in center of each pineapple slice.
- In medium bowl, beat remaining ingredients with electric mixer on low speed 40 seconds, then beat on high speed 3 minutes, until well blended. Pour the cake batter over the pineapples.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Immediately top the pan with a plate, pan or serving dish, then flip the cake/dish over. Let the cake sit for a few minutes then remove the pan. This will allow the topping to drizzle over the cake.
- Serve warm and this is also good topped with whipped cream or ice cream. Cover and store the cake at room temperature or in the fridge.