This copycat Popeyes Chicken Sandwich Recipe is so easy to make at home. Crispy and juicy fried chicken served on a brioche bun, then topped with spicy mayo and pickles.
Copycat Popeyes Chicken Sandwich
Creating your own copycat Popeyes Chicken Sandwich at home not only saves you money but also gives you full control over the ingredients, ensuring a fresher alternative to the take-out version. Make this popular sandwich in your own kitchen, with the same taste, and save a few bucks on your meal budget.
What You Need
- Chicken: The Skinless Chicken Breasts is coated with a mixture Egg, Milk, All Purpose Flour, Corn Flake Crumbs and a combination of seasoning, Garlic Salt, Garlic Powder, Paprika and Seasoned Pepper.
- Spicy Mayo: The Popeyes Chicken sandwich is typically topped with a spicy mayo made from Mayonnaise, Hot Sauce, Paprika, Chili Powder and Garlic Salt.
- Hamburger Buns: Hamburger, or Brioche Buns that is topped with Butter and Garlic Salt.
- Canola oil: for frying
How to Make A Popeyes Chicken Sandwich
- Prep the Chicken: Place the chicken on a cutting board and slice each piece in half. Lightly pound the chicken until it is thin or use chicken cutlets instead.
- Dredge the Chicken: In a large bowl, combine the egg and milk. In a baggie, add the corn flakes, and seasoning. Zip the bag closed and shake the flour mixture. Dip the chicken in the milk mixture and place it in the bag and shake. Take the chicken out of the bag and place in the milk again and back into the bag.
- Fry the Chicken: Place the Chicken Breast into a deep fryer and fry the chicken breasts for about 15 – 20 minutes. Remove and place on paper towels, cooling rack or wire rack to drain excess oil.
- Make the Spicy Mayonnaise: Place the mayonnaise in a small bowl, and then add the hot sauce, paprika, chili powder, and garlic salt, and stir well to blend. Spread the mayo on the inside of the buns. Add the chicken to the bun. Melt the butter and brush it on the top buns. Lightly sprinkle with Garlic Salt. Serve, with French Fries, chips or your favorite side.
Tips For The Perfect Fried Chicken Sandwich
- Marinate Your Chicken: For extra juicy and flavorful chicken, marinate the chicken breasts in a mixture of buttermilk and spices for at least an hour, or overnight if possible. The acidity of the buttermilk will tenderize the chicken, and the spices will infuse it with flavor.
- Use a Heavy Duty Pan: When frying the chicken, use a heavy duty pan, like cast iron or dutch oven, which holds heat well and ensures even cooking.
- Don’t Overcrowd the Pan: Fry only a few pieces of chicken at a time. Overcrowding the pan lowers the oil temperature, resulting in chicken that is not crisply fried.
- Check the Oil Temperature: Using a cooking thermometer, ensure the oil is at the right temperature before adding the chicken. If the oil is too hot, the chicken may burn on the outside before it’s cooked on the inside; if it’s not hot enough, the chicken could become greasy.
- Toast the Buns: For added flavor and texture, lightly toast the brioche buns on a pan with a bit of butter. This also helps prevent the bun from getting soggy from the spicy mayo.
- Season Generously: Do not hesitate to add plenty of seasoning to the chicken when preparing it.
- Serve with a side KFC Coleslaw Recipe.
Can Popeyes Chicken Sandwich Be Made Ahead of Time?
Yes. Bread the chicken ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator until ready to fry.. However, it is best to fry and assemble the sandwich just before serving so the chicken is crispy and the bun is still fresh. If you need to make the sandwiches ahead of time, you can fry the chicken and keep it warm in an oven set to 200 degrees Fahrenheit while you toast the buns and assemble the sandwich.
Alternative Cooking Methods
If prefer not to fry the chicken, you can also bake or grill the chicken for a healthier option. To bake, preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and cook the chicken for about 20 minutes or until it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit. To grill, preheat your grill to medium-high heat and cook the chicken for about 5-6 minutes on each side or until it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
More Copycat Recipes
- Copycat Arby’s Sauce Recipe
- Zuppa Toscana Soup Recipe (Olive Garden Copycat)
- Mongolian Beef – PF Chang’s Copycat
- Chick Fil A Frosted Lemonade (Copycat)
- Dynamite Shrimp – Copycat PF Chang’s
- Burger Sauce Recipe (In-N-Out Copycat)
Popeyes Chicken Sandwich Recipe
- Place a cutting board on the counter, and place the Chicken Breasts, one at a time on the cutting board. Slice the Chicken Breasts in half. Wrap a small Kitchen Mallet in plastic wrap, and lightly pound the chicken breasts out until they're thin, about 1/4 to 1/3 inch (Or, if you choose you can buy Chicken Cutlets, but they are usually sliced a little thinner than the breasts sliced in half).
- In a Medium size bowl, add the Egg, and Milk, and stir well to blend. Place the Flour in a heavy plastic bag, (Ziploc bag) and add the Corn Flake Crumbs, Garlic Salt, Garlic Powder, Paprika, and Seasoned Pepper. Zip the bag closed, and shake gently to blend.
- Sprinkle the Chicken with Garlic Salt, and dip in the Egg/Milk mixture, then place it in the bag, and shake slightly, and remove the breast and place back in the Egg/Milk mixture, and then back in the bag, and shake gently to coat.
- Place the Chicken Breast into a deep fryer, such as a Fry-Daddy, or a Fry-Grand-daddy, with hot oil at approximately 375 degrees, and fry the Chicken Breasts for about 15 – 20 minutes, or until the breasts is a deep golden brown. Remove to paper towels to drain excess oil.
- Place the Mayonnaise in a small bowl, and add the Hot Sauce, Paprika, Chili Powder, and Garlic Salt, and stir well to blend. Spread the Spicy Mayo on the inside of the Buns, and place a fried Chicken Breast on the Bun.
- Melt the Butter in the Microwave, and brush the tops of the buns with the melted Butter, and lightly sprinkle with Garlic Salt. Serve, with French Fries, chips or your favorite side. Enjoy!