Pumpkin Pie Monkey Bread is a delicious and easy to make Fall breakfast treat that will have your family begging for more. Made with just a few simple ingredients, this monkey bread recipe comes together quickly and bakes up in no time.
Pumpkin Pie Monkey Bread
Pumpkin Pie Monkey Bread is the perfect fall dessert! Your taste buds will love you for serving this at your next fall gathering or holiday breakfast. It’s made with pumpkin puree, warm spices, and a delicious powdered sugar glaze. Serve it for your family and watch it disappear! Everyone will love this sweet and gooey monkey bread. Pumpkin pie and cinnamon rolls go great together. Just look at Cinnamon Roll Pumpkin Pie.
What is Monkey Bread?
There are several different stories as to why monkey bread is called monkey bread. The most popular story is that it was because the dough is so easy to work with, even a child could do it, and it’s popularity grew when mothers would make it for their children. Another story is that the unique shape of the loaf, which resembles a cheeky face with a tail, and has “hanging” pieces of bread that children could easily grab and eat. Finally, another story is that when you pull off a piece of bread, it resembles the hands and feet of monkeys.
Monkey bread is a made using cinnamon rolls or biscuits, or sometimes made from scratch, and then it is rolled into small balls and rolled in cinnamon sugar. The end result is something that resembles a loaf of pull apart bread. Pumpkin pie monkey bread takes the traditional monkey bread recipe and incorporates pumpkin puree and pumpkin pie spice to give it a fall flare.
Key Ingredients You Need for this Recipe
- Cinnamon rolls – You need 2 cans of cinnamon rolls. This is the base of the monkey bread. It gives the best flavor. You can use whatever cinnamon rolls you like or you can make them from scratch using 1-Hour Easy Cinnamon Rolls
- Light brown sugar – Brown sugar brings together the flavors and creates the base for the sauce.
- Pumpkin – Make sure you are using pumpkin puree and not pumpkin pie filling. These products are very different and your monkey bread will not work if you use the filling.
- Cream cheese– Cream cheese adds a richness and creaminess to the sauce
- Spices- Using pumpkin pie spice and cinnamon bring the pumpkin pie flavors to this recipe. You will roll the pieces of cinnamon roll in with the pumpkin pie spice to endure each pieces gets the flavor.
How to Make Pumpkin Pie Monkey Bread
Start with a preheated oven and a prepared bundt pan.
Make the sauce by combining the pumpkin, brown sugar, butter, cream cheese and vanilla. Whisk until smooth.
Remove the cinnamon rolls and cut each one into 4 pieces. Make the cinnamon sugar mixture and place it in a plastic bag. Shake the pieces of the cinnamon rolls in the sugar.
Place the coated pieces in the pan and pour half of the pumpkin mixture over it.
Add the rest of the the sugar coated cinnamon roll pieces to the pan and top with the rest of the pumpkin mixture.
Bake for 35 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes.
Combine the ingredients for the glaze in a separate bowl and drizzle over the cooled monkey bread,
Can I Make Pumpkin Monkey Bread With Homemade Cinnamon Roll Dough
While making this recipe with store bought cinnamon roll dough makes this recipe easy, you can make the pumpkin monkey bread using homemade cinnamon roll dough. You can use my favorite cinnamon roll recipe.
Can I Use Pumpkin Pie Filling Instead of Pumpkin Puree?
No, you can not swap the pumpkin puree for pumpkin pie filling. These are two different things. While the pie filling is made using pumpkin puree, it also has other ingredients in it that makes it unacceptable for this recipe. You do not want the added milk, sugar and spices.
How to Store
When you have leftovers, Pumpkin monkey bread can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days or in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Reheating Pumpkin Monkey Bread
To reheat, first, place leftovers on a baking sheet and warm in a 350 degree F oven until heated through, about 10 minutes.
Pumpkin Monkey Bread
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9in bundt pan with baking spray
- Using a medium saucepan over medium heat, add the 1 cup brown sugar, ¼ cup butter, 1 cup pumpkin, cream cheese and vanilla
- Whisk until smooth and set aside
- Remove the cinnamon rolls from the cans and cut each roll into 4 pieces Place the ½ cup sugar and 2 tbsp pumpkin pie spice into a ziplock bag
- Place the cut cinnamon rolls into the ziplock bag and shake the bad to coat the cinnamon rolls
- Place half of the coated cinnamon rolls into the bundt pan, pour half of the pumpkin mixture over the cinnamon rolls
- Top with remaining cinnamon rolls and pour the remaining pumpkin over the cinnamon rolls
- Place the bundt cake onto a cookie sheet and into the oven. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the cinnamon rolls look done
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes before turning the pan over onto a wire rack Remove the pan from the monkey bread
- In a medium bowl, whisk the glaze ingredients until combined and smooth Drizzle the glaze over the monkey bread and allow the glaze to harden slightly before enjoying!