If you love s’mores, then you are going to flip over this S’mores Poke Cake. A layer of moist cake with chocolate marshmallow cream and a layer of cheesecake. Can you imagine anything better? This is literally one of the best poke cakes you will ever have.
Oh, let me tell you how absolutely incredible S’mores Poke Cake is. It’s like a dream come true for s’mores lovers. It takes a kid’s dessert and takes it a whole new level. Every bite is like a party in your mouth. Trust me, once you try this heavenly treat, you won’t be able to resist going back for more. It’s hands down one of the best poke cakes you’ll ever taste. So, if you’re looking for a dessert that will blow your taste buds away, look no further than the marvelous S’mores Poke Cake. You won’t be disappointed.
What is a Poke Cake
A poke cake is a cake, any flavor, that is baked and poked to create holes. The holes work to create little pockets. The cake has a layer of filling that flows into the holes Then another layer is added on top as a frosting.
Key Ingredients You’ll Need
- Cake Mix: You will need a white cake mix and prepare it according to the directions on the back.
- Marshmallows: You can choose to use large, medium, or mini marshmallows. Marshmallow fluff or marshmallow creme is also an option.
- Chocolate: I use a combination of milk chocolate chips and unsweetened cocoa powder.
- Dairy: I use unsalted butter, sweetened condensed milk, and heavy whipping cream for more flavor, thickness, and moisture.
How To Make S’mores Poke Cake
- Bake the cake. Use the instructions on the package to bake the cake before transferring it to a wire rack to cool.
- Poke the holes. Use the end of a wooden spoon or skewer to poke the cake. The bigger the holes the better, so the mixture can sink in.
- Prepare the chocolate topping. Add the marshmallows, a tbsp of butter, and chocolate chips into a pot on low heat until mixed and melted. Pour in the 3/4 cup of condensed milk and combine. It forms a hot fudge that fills the holes. Add on top of the cake and use a spatula to spread it out evenly.
- Make the cheesecake layer. Add the cream cheese, powdered sugar, and cocoa powder into a mixing bowl and combine with a hand mixer. Pour in the rest of the condensed milk and heavy whipping cream and combine. Pour and spread out evenly on top of the cake. Place in the fridge to cool for 1 hour until you are ready to serve.
- Decorate. Use graham crackers, chocolate bars and marshmallows to decorate the dessert. Serve and enjoy!
How to Store S’more Poke Cake
If you have leftover s’more poke cake, you want to make sure to keep it in the refrigerator. The cheesecake layer needs to be kept chilled. Wrap the cake in plastic wrap or if the cake pan has a lid, use it to cover the cake well. It will last for about 3-4 days in the refrigerator.
More Poke Cakes
S’mores Poke Cake
- 1 white cake mix prepared as directed on package instructions
- 14 marshmallows regular size
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 Tbsp. butter unsalted
- 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk divided
- 16 oz cream cheese softened
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp. cocoa powder unsweetened
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Graham crackers chocolate and marshmallows to garnish
- Bake cake according to package instructions. Allow to partially cool on a wire rack.
- Poke holes with wooden skewer or end of a wooden spoon. For this cake, bigger holes are better so the chocolate-marshmallow mixture can sink in.
- Melt chocolate chips together with marshmallows, and a tablespoon of butter on stovetop over low heat stirring continuously.
- Stir in ¾ cup sweetened condensed milk.
- Pour over the top of the cake, spreading around with a spoon or spatula to push the chocolate marshmallow mix into the holes.
- For the next layer, cream together cream cheese, powdered sugar and cocoa powder with a hand mixer until smooth.
- Add in the remaining sweetened condensed milk and heavy whipping cream and mix together to incorporate.
- Spread the chocolate cheesecake layer over the chocolate marshmallow layer.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour prior to serving.
- Decorate with graham crackers, chocolate bars and marshmallows prior to serving.