I love a good layered cake! Layering cake and cheesecake adds more flavor and texture to the dessert. This Strawberry Lemon Cake is sweet and tangy. The texture comes out soft and fluffy for a perfect dessert.
Strawberry Lemon Cake
This layered cake is so good and the process is a little bit longer than a normal cake but well worth it. This recipe uses a bunch of ingredients from fresh ingredients to extract to cake mix. Each of these ingredients is beneficial to this recipe to create a delicious dessert. This dessert becomes one of your favorites, you will want to try out this Strawberry Pound Cake or this Homemade Lemon Cake.
- Strawberries– You will need fresh strawberries that are diced.
- Sugar– Every great dessert recipe uses sugar as an ingredient.
- Cornstarch– This will be used as a thickening agent.
- Water– This will be added to the batter.
- Lemon Zest– Be sure to zest your lemons before juicing them.
- Lemon Juice– Use freshly-squeezed lemon juice for the best-enhance flavor.
- Cream Cheese– Use softened or at room temperature.
- Flour– Use all-purpose for the best results.
- Sour Cream– This will add moisture to your recipe.
- Vanilla– Use pure extract for the best flavoring.
- Eggs– Use these at room temperature.
- Cake Mix– You will need a strawberry cake mix for this recipe.
- Canola Oil– Use vegetable oil as a substitute.
- Cake Mix– You will need a lemon cake mix for this recipe.
- Butter– Use unsalted butter to control the amount of salt in the recipe.
- Powdered Sugar– This is the best sugar for homemade icing.
- Heavy Whipping Cream– This will help with their consistency.
How to Make Strawberry Lemon Cake
To start in a medium pot, add all of the ingredients and combine over medium to high heat.
Stir the ingredients regularly for 10 to 15 minutes.
Once thickened, turn the heat down, and mix for about one minute before taking away from the heat and allowing it to cool thoroughly.
To begin, set the oven to 300 degrees, and line a nine-inch round cake pan with parchment paper and grease with Pam spray.
First, add the cream cheese, sugar, and flour into a large bowl, and combine until smooth.
Secondly, add in the sour cream, and vanilla, and combine until smooth.
Thirdly, add in the eggs, one at a time, and combine.
Add half of the cheesecake batter into the prepared pan.
Next, add half of the strawberry sauce by placing dollops into the cheesecake batter.
Add the rest of the cheesecake batter on the sauce and swirl in the rest of the strawberry sauce on top.
Pour hot water into a 9×13-inch dish about halfway.
Next, place the baking dish full of water onto the bottom rack. Then, place the cheesecake dish on the rack above the water dish.
Bake the cheesecake for one hour. And then, when the time is up, leave the recipe in the oven for an additional 45 minutes to let it set.
Take the cheesecake out of the oven and allow it to cool on the counter thoroughly before putting it into the fridge overnight.
Strawberry and Lemon Cake Layers
To begin, set the oven to 350 degrees and use pan baking spray to grease the cake pans, then set aside.
First, add the strawberry cake mix water, eggs, and canola oil into two separate large bowls and combine.
Secondly, add the batter into one of the prepared pans.
Now, make the lemon cake mix by repeating the same steps.
Place both of the pans into the oven to bake for 25 to 35 minutes or until a tester placed in the middle comes out clean of batter.
Allow the cake to cool thoroughly before taking it out of the pans and placing it onto a nine-inch cake board.
Use a cake leveler, to take off the domes of the cake.
Cover the cake layers, and allow it to sit overnight. Doing this will allow the cakes to be sturdier and easier to build.
Lemon Frosting Directions
To begin, add all the ingredients into a standing mixer and beat until smooth and combined, and stiff with peaks.
Building the cake directions :
To begin, place the strawberry cake layer onto the 10 inch round cake board.
First, place one cup of frosting on top of the strawberry layer and spread evenly using a spatula.
Secondly, take the strawberry cheesecake out of the pan and put it on top of the frosting.
Thirdly, add one cup of the frosting on top of the cheesecake and use a spatula to spread evenly.
Next, add the final lemon cake layer on top and use the rest of the frosting to frost the cake. This step is called the “crumb coating”.
Finally, place the cake into the fridge for one hour, this will help the cake firm up.
Next, add the rest of the frosting into a piping bag and place decide
Take the cake out of the fridge once it’s firmed up slightly.
To finish, pipe dollops of the frosting onto the cake and use a spatula to evenly spread.
Allow the cake to firm up again for one hour in the fridge before serving.
How to Freeze this Strawberry Lemon Cake?
Freezing the lemon cake is fairly easy. You will want to place the lemon cake into an airtight container. You can place the recipe in the fridge, but the freezer will allow for longer shelf life.
What is the best way to level a cake?
The best way to level a cake is using a cake leveler. A cake leveler will allow the dome to be evenly cut off of the top of the cake. A cake leveler will create a perfectly smooth surface to add the frosting on top.
More Cake Recipes:
Strawberry Lemon Cheesecake Cake
Strawberry Cheesecake Ingredients
Strawberry Cake Ingredients :
- 1 – 15.25 oz box of strawberry cake mix
- 1 C water
- 3 large eggs
- ⅓ C canola oil
Lemon Cake Ingredients :
- 2 cups unsalted butter softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 large lemon zested and juiced
- 6 Tbsp heavy whipping cream
- Combine all ingredients into a medium pot and cook over medium to high heat
- Stir the sauce occasionally while it cooks for about 10-15 minutes
- Once it begins to thicken, reduce the heat and stir for 1 minute before removing it from the heat and allow it to cool completely
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees and spray the 9in a round cake pan with pam baking spray and line the bottom with parchment paper
- Using a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugar, and flour together until combined and smooth
- Beat in the sour cream and vanilla until combined and smooth
- One at a time, beat in the eggs until combined
- Pour half of the cheesecake batter into the cake pan
- Dollop about half of the strawberry sauce onto the cheesecake batter
- Pour remaining cheesecake batter on top of the strawberry sauce
- Dollop and swirl remaining strawberry sauce on top of the cheesecake batter
- Fill a 9×13 baking dish halfway with hot water
- Place the baking dish onto the bottom rack of your oven
- Place the cheesecake on the top rack, above the center of the baking dish
- Bake in the oven for 1 hour
- Once the timer goes off, leave the cheesecake in the oven for another 45 minutes to allow it to set
- Remove the cheesecake from the oven and allow it to cool completely on the counter before placing it in the fridge overnight
Strawberry and Lemon Cake Layers
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray the cake pans with pam baking spray, set aside
- Using two large bowls, in one bowl, beat the strawberry cake mix, water, eggs, and canola oil until combined
- Pour the batter into one of the 9in round cake boards
- Repeat the same steps with the lemon cake mix
- Bake both cake pans in the oven for 25 – 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean
- Allow cooling completely
- Remove the cake layers from the pans and place onto the 9in cake boards
- Remove the domes from the cakes to create even layers
- Cover and allow to ‘rest’ overnight. This will allow the cakes to be more sturdy when you build the cake with the cheesecakes
Lemon Frosting Directions
- Using a standing mixer, beat all ingredients until combined, smooth, and hold a peak
Building the cake directions :
- Using the strawberry cake layer, carefully move the cake layer to the 10in round cake board.
- Scoop 1 C of frosting onto the top of the strawberry cake layer and spread evenly
- Carefully remove the strawberry cheesecake from the cake pan and place it on top of the frosting
- Scoop 1 C of frosting onto the top of the cheesecake and spread evenly
- Place the lemon cake layer on top
- Using the remaining frosting, frost the entire cake. This is called ‘crumb coating’. Place the cake into the fridge for about an hour to firm up
- Scoop remaining frosting into the piping bag, set aside
- Once the cake has firmed up slightly, remove it from the fridge
- Using the piping bag, pipe quick dollops of frosting all over the cake
- Place the completely frosted cake into the fridge to firm up again for about an hour before enjoying it!
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.
- 1 – 9in round cake pan
- 2 – 9in round cake pans
- 2 – 9in round cake boards
- 1 10in round cake board
- 1 large piping bag, fitted with a star tip