Tres Leches Cake
Cake can come in many forms, but this Tres Leches Cake just seems to have one of the best flavors and textures in my opinion. This recipe will have your mouth watering, and when it’s done, you will want to eat the whole thing by yourself, but I recommend letting some of your friends and family try it out first!
Tres Leches Cake
Tres Leches Cake is a beautiful three-tier cake recipe. Starting is a delicious cake batter that uses ingredients you may already have in your home. Then, comes the tasty cake filling layer, which only takes a mixture of 4 ingredients. Finally, to top off this amazing recipe is a sweet and creamy topping. If you love cake in general and always find happiness in making them, then be sure to try out this Reese’s Peanut Butter Earthquake Cake or this copycat Coca-Cola Cake (Cracker Barrel).
- Flour- You will need cake flour for this recipe.
- Baking Powder- This will allow the recipe to rise in the oven.
- Salt- This will bring out the flavors in your recipe.
- Butter- Use unsalted butter to control the amount of salt.
- Sugar- Every dessert recipe uses sugar as an ingredient.
- Eggs- Use these at room temperature.
- Vanilla- Use the pure extract for the best flavoring.
- Milk- Use whole or 2% milk.
- Heavy Whipping Cream- This will be added to the filling.
- Sweetened Condensed Milk- This will help with the consistency of the filling.
- Evaporated Milk- This will add richness to the filling.
How to Make Tres Leches Cake
Start the recipe by setting your oven to 350 degrees.
Next, add the flour, baking powder, and salt into a medium bowl and combine.
Then, add the butter and sugar into a large mixing bowl and beat to combine.
After that is combined, add in the eggs and vanilla and mix to combine at medium to high speed for 1 minute.
Slowly combine the wet and dry ingredients, while using a rubber spatula to scrape the sides of the bowl, if necessary.
Prepare a 9 by 13-inch baking pan, by lightly greasing with Pan baking spray, then add in the cake batter. Place the pan into the oven to bake for 23 to 25 minutes, or until the cake is springy to the touch.
Next, poke holes all over the top of the cake using a fork, then set it aside to cool.
Begin making the filling by adding the milk, heavy cream, sweetened condensed milk, and evaporated milk together in a bowl and whisk to combine.
When the filling is fully combined, pour on top of the cake while making sure that you fill in the holes.
Place some foil on top of the cake and place it into the fridge for 6-8 hours or overnight to chill.
Prepare the topping by beating the heavy cream until it thickens and becomes stiff like shaving cream.
Next, put in the sugar and vanilla and combine until it forms a very thick whipped cream.
Finally, start spreading the topping over the cake using a spatula.
Serve and Enjoy the cake while still chilled.
Can I Prep Tres Leches Cake in Advance?
Yes, you can prepare the ingredients beforehand. Although, I recommend making everything fresh. Not only for the best results, but the overall flavor of the recipe is different in my opinion when not made fresh.
Does Tres Leches Cake need to be refrigerated?
This recipe does not use any perishable food items that could go bad too quickly. An ingredient like cream cheese would cause the recipe to be placed in the fridge. But, placing it in the fridge will help with a longer shelf life.
More Cake recipes:
Tres Leches Cake
- 1 ½ cups cake flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter room temperature (one stick)
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 large eggs room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 ¼ cup milk
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1- 14 oz can sweeten condensed milk
- 1- 12 oz can evaporate milk
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt set the bowl aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, or using a stand mixer, beat together the butter and sugar, until well combined.
- Add in the eggs and vanilla, mixing at medium to high speed for an additional minute.
- Gradually add in the flour mixture, scraping the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula, as necessary.
- Pour the cake batter into a lightly sprayed 9x13 baking pan and bake for about 23-25 minutes, until the cake springs to the touch.
- Use a fork to poke holes throughout the top of the cake and set the cake aside to cool.
- Prepare the filling while the cake is cooling.
- To prepare the filling, combine the milk, heavy cream, sweetened condensed milk, and evaporated milk. Whisk together until they are combined, and then pour over the cake, making sure to fill in the holes made with a fork.
- Cover and chill the cake for 6-8 hours, or overnight.
- To top the cake, whisk the heavy cream until it begins to thicken, and hold its form, like shaving cream. Add in the sugar and vanilla until it is thick whipping cream.
- Cover the top of the cake with the whipped cream topping.
- Serve cake chilled.