This Tie-Dye Pinwheel Cake is a great and colorful dessert. This tie dye cake is so fun and unique! Not only is this cake roll so much fun to make, but turns out so pretty. I love how it looks like a pinwheel. It’s so easy to make and perfect for summer or any other party, picnic, or gathering.
Tie-Dye Pinwheel Cake
This Pinwheel Cake is so good and simple to make. The recipe only uses a handful of ingredients and you may already have some of the ingredients in your household already. You will be using 6 different coloring dyes to create the cool Tye-Dye effect. If you want to make some other recipes to make with this fun recipe or just love Tye-Dye, then try out this No-Bake Tie-Dye Cheesecake or Hippie Tie Dye Cake.
- Cake Mix- Use white cake mix and follow directions on the box.
- Food Dye- You will need 6 neon food coloring dyes for this recipe.
- Butter- Use unsalted butter to control the amount of salt in the recipe.
- Vanilla- Use the pure extract for the best flavoring.
- Powdered Sugar- This is the best sugar for homemade icing.
- Milk- You can use whole or 2% milk.
How to Make Pinwheel Cake
To start, set the oven to 325 degrees.
Next, use shortening to grease the jelly roll pan and lightly flour. This will make sure the recipe does not stick.
First, make the cake by following the instructions on the box.
Secondly, prepare 6 bowls with portions of the batter in each.
Third, place a few drops of each coloring into the batter and combine.
Next, pour each colored batter into 6 separate Ziploc bags and use scissors to cut a bit of the corner off.
Now, add the batter onto the pan in a diagonal pattern until it’s full, and any leftover batter can be used to fill in missed areas.
After, carefully shake the pan to even the batter.
Next, make swirls in the batter using a toothpick to create the tye-dye look.
To finish, place the cake into the oven and back for 18 minutes or until it’s set.
Take out of the oven and let cool for about 20 minutes.
Now, put a towel on a countertop and lightly flour.
Turn the cake over onto the floured towel, then lightly flour the top of the cake, and place another towel on top.
Begin at one end and slowly roll up the cake. Roll as tightly as you can. Once rolled up, allow it to cool. When cooled down, carefully unroll.
First, add the butter and vanilla into a bowl and beat to combine.
Second, pour in the sugar and some milk until it reaches the consistency you want.
Now, evenly spread the frosting onto the top of the cake.
Next, roll the cake back up using the towel as a guide.
Once rolled up, tightly secure the towel to allow the cake to hold its form.
Finally, place into the freezer for 4 hours.
Take out of the freezer and cut into serving pieces.
What is a Pinwheel Cake?
This pinwheel cake is a delicious and colorful cake. A pinwheel cake like this recipe is an array of colors rolled into a log. The rolled cakes are filled with frosting and come out with a stunning amount of colors.
How to make it Look, Tie-Dye?
Making the Tie-Dye look for this recipe is fun and easy to do. All you need is 6 different colors of food coloring. You will add the coloring into the cake batters separately, then slowly combine the colors using a toothpick.
More Tie-dye/Colorful Recipes:
- Colorful Unicorn Cupcakes
- Lucky Charms Cheesecake (No Bake)
- Fruity Pebbles Cheesecake (No-Bake)
- Cotton Candy Cheesecake
Tie Dye Pinwheel Cake
- Preheat oven to 325ºF.
- Prepare a jelly roll pan with shortening and flour. This step will ensure that your cake does not stick. Set aside for later
- Prepare cake batter according to the box directions.
- Separate batter evenly into 6 bowls.
- Add a color of food dye to each bowl and mix until the colors are uniform throughout.
- Transfer batter into 6 ziplock bags. Cut a small corner off of each bag.
- In a diagonal pattern, squeeze strips of each color until the pan is filled. If you have batter remaining, you can go back and fill in as needed.
- Gently shake the pan to even out the cake batter.
- Using a toothpick, draw swirls in the batter to create a tie-dye look.
- Bake for 18 minutes or until the cake is set. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 20minutes.
- Place a towel on a flat surface and sprinkle flour on it.
- Flip the cake out of the pan and onto the towel.
- Sprinkle a small amount of flour on the top side of the cake and cover it with another towel.
- Starting on one end, roll the cake up with a towel on each side. Try to keep it as tight as possible. With the cake tightly rolled, set it aside to completely cool.
- When cool, gently unroll it.
- To prepare to frost, beat butter and vanilla together.
- Add powdered sugar and enough milk to reach the consistency you desire.
- Spread on the frosting, covering the top of the cake.
- Begin rolling the cake from one end, using one towel to help guide you.
- When the cake is completely rolled, wrap the towel tightly around it to help hold its form.
- Place cake roll in the freezer for 4 hours.
- Remove from freezer and cut into slices.
- Serve and enjoy!
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.