If you like avocados you’re going to want to try your hand at these Avocado Fries. They are fresh slices of avocado breaded in Panko bread crumbs and seasoned with spices. They make a delicious snack or side dish baked or cooked in the Air Fryer.
Crispy Avocado Fries
This is such a delicious way to enjoy an avocado. We’ve had it squished into guacamole, added to salads and even layered over toast, but coating and air frying it might be my new favorite way to partake in this yummy fruit. (Yes, it’s a fruit. Did you know that?)
You can make these two different ways – fried in an air fryer (my preferred method) or baked in the oven. The results are both great and just depends on your preference (or if you haven’t grabbed a fryer yet). The baked avocados will turn out less crispy.
We really love dipping these in our easy ranch siracha sauce! The recipe for that is down below as well.
You should check out some of our other Air Fryer recipes – Garlic Knots, Pizza, Homemade Bagels and Taquitos.
Ingredients You’ll Need
This fried avocado recipe is just a handful of ingredients – a few spices, some pantry staples and fresh avocados, of course.
- Avocados – either 2 large ones or 4 smaller sized
- Flour – to coat the avocado
- Panko Bread Crumbs – to coat and give a nice crunch
- Eggs – this helps the coating to stick
- Chili Powder – for seasoning
- Garlic Powder – for seasoning
- Salt – for seasoning
How To Make Avocado Fries
This recipe is really simple, but like anything with an egg coating, it’s a bit messy! Pro tip: lay out some parchment paper on your counter to make for an easy clean up.
- Slice the avocados. Cut open the avocado, remove the seed and peel, and slice long-wise into 1/2 inch wide pieces.
- Prep. In a shallow bowl whisk an egg, then in a seperate one pour in the Panko.
- Make the coating. Stir together the flour, chili powder, garlic powder and salt.
- Coat the avocados. Dunk the sliced avocados in flour, then egg, then Panko. Press the breadcrumbs to make sure they stay and then spray with oil.
- Cook. Place onto a baking sheet or in the Air Fryer and cook, flipping the avocados over once.
- Make a dip. While they cook, make a dip for them like the one we have listed here or one of our Fry Sauce recipes.
Baked Avocado Fries
Bake on a greased baking sheet lined at 425°F for 12-15 minutes, turning halfway through, until golden brown.
How To Make Siracha Ranch Dip
- Ranch Dressing
Just take the two ingredients and stir them together. You’ll definitely wonder why you hand’t thought of this combo sooner!
How To Store The Avocado Fries
These unfortunately won’t hold up too long, so store them for just a day or two in an airtight container at room temperature.
How To Reheat
To keep the crunch, don’t microwave these to reheat. Instead, put them back in the oven or Air Fryer on the same temp and heat until warm.
- How do I pick an avocado? They are ripe and ready when they aren’t green anymore and feel soft when you squeeze them, but not mushy.
- How do I cut it open? With a knife, cut the avocado lengthwise around the seed, open the two halves and remove the seed.
- What should I serve them with? They are great alone for a snack or served as a side with a dinner like our Southern Smothered Chicken or Buffalo Chicken Quesadillas.
More Avocado Recipes
- 2 large or 4 small avocados sliced into ½ inch slices
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- In a small bowl, mix the flour with the chili powder, garlic powder and salt.
- Add the beaten egg in another bowl and the panko breadcrumbs in a third bowl.
- Completely cover the avocado in the flour mixture, then the egg and then the panko breadcrumbs, pressing down lightly until the crumb mixture sticks. Spray both sides with oil.
For Air Fryer
- Air fry at 400°F. until about for 7 to 8 minutes, turning halfway through until golden brown.
- Bake on a greased baking sheet lined at 425°F for 12-15 minutes, turning halfway through, until golden brown.