Have you tried a Butternut Squash Cake? You will not believe how increase this delicious cake is. A spice cake with a hint of butternut squash added is going to become the new taste of fall.
What is Butternut Squash Cake
Butternut squash cake is a delicious dessert made using butternut squash as one of the main ingredients. It’s similar to a traditional spice cake but with the addition of pureed butternut squash, which adds a unique flavor and moist texture to the cake. The squash also brings natural sweetness to the recipe, reducing the need for excessive amounts of sugar.
Typically, this cake is spiced with warm and aromatic spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves, enhancing the overall flavor profile. It can be served plain or with various toppings and frostings, such as cream cheese frosting, to complement the taste. This cake is not only scrumptious but also offers the added benefit of incorporating nutritious vegetables into a delightful treat.
Butternut Squash Cake
- For the Cake: This is a typical cake recipe using all purpose flour, sugar, white and brown sugar, oil, and eggs. You’ll also need salt, baking powder, and baking soda
- Flavoring: Since the cake is like a spice cake, you will need cinnamon and nutmeg. You could swap pumpkin pie spice in a pinch.
- Butternut squash baby food– These jars of baby food will save you time when making the cake.
- Homemade Cream Cheese Frosting– This is my favorite cream cheese frosting. You can add a few tablespoons of maple syrup to the frosting for an extra Fall flavor.
How to Make Butternut Squash Cake Recipe
- Make the Cake: Combine the wet ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk the dry ingredients next. Add the butternut squash puree and stir. Pour the cake mixture into 2 prepared cake pans and bake until done. Remove from the oven and let the cakes cool completely on a wire rack.
- Make the Frosting: We use cream cheese frosting.
- Assemble the Cake: Place the first layer of the cake down and add a layer of frosting. Spread it across evenly. Add the next cake and the frost the whole cake.
Do I Have to Use Baby Food
While there are a lot of recipes that use pureed butternut squash but using the baby food will save a lot of time. You won’t find butternut squash puree at the grocery store. You can find cut squash, which saves a step but the squash still needs to be cooked and pureed before being added to the cake batter. Using the baby foods saved time.
Want to Cut Calories?
You can also replace the vegetable oil with apple sauce to cut down on calories. Just cut down to 2 1/2 jars of butternut squash baby food.
More Delicious Cake Recipes
- Maple Bacon Cake
- Strawberry Heaven on Earth Cake
- Lemon Cake Roll
- Lemon Gooey Butter Cake
- Strawberry Twinkie Cake
Butternut Squash Cake
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees
- Blend oil and sugar. Then add the eggs and whisk together until blended.
- Add in all the dry ingredients and whisk. Now add the butternut squash baby food and blend.
- Pour the cake mixture into 2 greased 9 inch round baking pans.
- Bake for 1 hour and check the cake at 45 minutes using a toothpick in the center. Some ovens vary.
- Frosting the cake with cream cheese frosting.