Hot Milk Cake is an easy yet delicious cake recipe that became popular in the 1940s. This cake is a sponge cake that is soft and tender that pairs perfectly with fresh fruit, a powdered sugar dusting, or make it decadent with a chocolate ganache topping like this one.
If you are looking for another classic style cake that tastes amazing, you will also love Easy Vanilla Custard Cake Recipe
Vintage Hot Milk Cake Recipe
Hot Milk Cake can be dated back to the early 1900s and because popular in the 1940s. The cake is fluffy and has just the right amount of sweetness. The cake is made from scalded milk which gives a unique flavor in this old fashion, foolproof cake.
Ingredients You Will Need:
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Powdered sugar
- Chocolate chips
- Vanilla extract
How to Make Hot Milk Cake
Spray a 9*9 inch pan with baking spray and preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Stir together the flour and baking powder
In another bowl, using a mixer to beat the eggs on high for about 3-4 minutes. The eggs will become thick.
Slowly, add the sugar mixture to the eggs, beating on medium until it becomes light and fluffy. About 4-5 minutes.
Gradually add the flour to the egg mixture and mix on medium until it is smooth.
Set it to the side while you scald the milk.
In a small saucepan, add the milk and butter heat until butter melts.
Add to milk mixture to the batter, mix until it is combined. Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan.
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes and then allow the cake to cool.
Next, make the ganache
Place the chocolate chips in a medium bowl.
Put the cream in a heat safe bowl and heat it in the microwave until just about to boil about 90 seconds.
Pour the cream over chocolate in the bowl.
Cover the bowl with a plate and let it sit for a minute.
Stir the chocolate and cream until the chocolate is melted and glossy.
Top the cake with chocolate ganache
What’s The Best Topping for Hot Milk Cake?
There are a lot of different options when you are topping this cake. You can eat it as is. Another simple option is to dust it with powdered sugar. My recipe uses a chocolate ganache or you can top it with a cream cheese frosting. This cake will also be amazing with fresh fruit.
Does Hot Milk Cake Need to Be Refrigerated?
This cake can be stored at room temperature. If you use a different frosting on the cake, like a cream cheese frosting, you will need to refrigerate it then. If you are topping the cake with fresh fruit, the fruit will need to be refrigerated so you can choose to add the fruit as you serve it or store the cake in the refrigerator. It will last for about 3 to 4 days at room temperature.
Vintage Hot Milk Cake
- 2 eggs room temp
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tbsp. Butter room temp
- Powdered sugar
Chocolate Ganache frosting
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 9x9 pan with a non-stick baking spray, set pan aside.
- Stir together flour and baking powder, set aside.
- In a stand mixer add your eggs and beat eggs on high for about 3-4 minutes until thick.
- Gradually add sugar to the egg mixture, on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Gradually add flour to the egg and sugar mixture on medium and mix until smooth.
- Set to the side.
- In a small saucepan add your milk and butter heat until butter melts.
- Add to milk and butter mixture to the batter, mix until combined. Pour the batter into baking pan.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Allow cake to cool.
- Top with chocolate ganache
- Place the chocolate chips in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Heat cream in the microwave until just about to boil, about 90 seconds.
- Pour cream over chocolate, cover the bowl with a plate and set aside for a minute.
- Stir until the chocolate is dissolved and glossy.