Made with just a handful of ingredients, these Air Fryer French Toast Sticks are ready in just 15 minutes. Dust with powdered sugar and serve with syrup on the side for a quick, easy breakfast or brunch everyone will love.
Easy French Toast Sticks Recipe
And now, these air fryer French toast sticks! They may just be the easiest French toast recipe I’ve shared so far. Ready in just 15 minutes with a handful of ingredients, these have been a fast family favorite.
Watch The Recipe Video!
They’re easy enough to make for a regular weekday breakfast but tasty enough to serve as part of a brunch buffet or even be served as breakfast for dinner. Just serve with some syrup on the side for dipping and you’re all set!
Why You’ll Love This Air Fryer Recipe
These homemade French toast sticks will soon become a regular on your breakfast table. Here’s why!
- Quick and easy! From start to finish, you’ll need less than 15 minutes to prepare this breakfast dish.
- Only 6 ingredients. You’ll need just a few ingredients to make this breakfast dish and you likely already have them all.
- Perfect for breakfast, brunch, or dinner. You can get away with serving these anytime. Who doesn’t love breakfast for dinner?!
What You’ll Need
This easy air fryer recipe is made with just a handful of ingredients, all of which you likely have on hand. Be sure to check the measurements in the recipe card below.
- Bread – See below for notes on the best bread for French toast sticks.
- Milk – I used whole but 2% or skim will work too.
- White sugar & cinnamon – Give the French toast sticks a cinnamon sugar flavor.
- Vanilla extract
What’s The Best Bread For French Toast Sticks?
I prefer to use brioche bread for these air fryer French toast sticks. It’s thick enough to hold the custard without being mushy and has a lightly sweet flavor itself. Sourdough, French bread, and even white bread will also work. It’s often best to use slightly stale bread, not freshly baked bread, as freshly baked bread may absorb too much of the custard.
How to Make Air Fryer French Toast Sticks
Here’s how to make homemade French toast sticks in the air fryer, in just a few easy steps! All you need is 10 minutes to serve up this breakfast classic.
- Slice the bread. Cut each slice of bread into 1/3’s.
- Combine the ingredients. Whisk together all ingredients except for the bread.
- Dip the bread in the custard. Dip each slice of bread into the egg mixture for 10 to 15 seconds. Then place each one in an air fryer basket sprayed with non-stick spray.
- Cook. Air fryer the French toast sticks for 5 minutes, until golden. Repeat with any remaining French toast sticks.
- Enjoy! Serve immediately with syrup.
Tips for Success
If this is your first time making homemade French toast sticks, here are a few things you’ll want to keep in mind.
- Don’t soak the bread for too long. The bread needs to sit in the egg mixture for just 10 to 15 seconds. If it sits for too long, the bread will absorb too much of the mixture and become soggy.
- Don’t crowd the air fryer. Only cook as many French toast sticks as you can comfortably fit in the air fryer. You want to leave room between each one, so the heat can circulate on all sides.
- Keep the French toast sticks warm. To keep the french toast sticks warm while making the others, set your oven to its lowest temperature and place the cooked french toast sticks on a baking sheet and keep warm in the oven.
Why Are My French Toast Sticks Soggy?
There are a few reasons why your French toast may end up soggy:
- The bread absorbed too much custard
- You used freshly baked bread which can’t withhold the weight of the egg mixture
- You didn’t cook them long enough
To prevent these issues, be sure to dip the bread just as long as necessary and to use day-old bread instead of fresh bread. If you think they’re undercooked, just add a minute or two to the cooking time.
What to Serve with Air Fryer French Toast Sticks
I love to top these French toast sticks with some powdered sugar and serve them with maple syrup on the side for dipping. For a heartier meal, add a side of breakfast sausage or bacon and an egg or two.
You can also turn these into a decadent French toast breakfast by topping them with whipped cream and adding some fresh berries. The choice is yours!
How to Store & Reheat Leftovers
- Fridge. Store leftovers in an airtight container or zip top bag for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
- Reheat. Reheat in the air fryer until warmed through or pop them in the microwave (though the texture won’t be as crisp).
More Easy Breakfast Recipes:
Air Fryer French Toast Sticks
- Cut the sliced brioche bread into ⅓’s.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the rest of the ingredients until well combined.
- Preheat the air fryer to 375℉ and spray the air fryer basket with non-stick cooking spray.
- Working in batches, dip each bread piece into the egg mixture for 10-15 and add to the air fryer. Add as many French toast sticks to the air fryer as you can fit without them touching.
- Air fry for 5 minutes until golden, repeat with the rest of the bread.
- Serve hot with maple syrup and powdered sugar. Enjoy!