Quick and easy, this Chocolate Chip Banana Bread recipe requires just a handful of ingredients and 15 minutes of prep. Each bite is moist, flavorful, and loaded with chocolate chips!
Table of Contents
The Best Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Recipe
This chocolate chip banana bread recipe comes out so moist with a sweet banana flavor and loaded with gooey chocolate chips. Quick to make and delicious, it bakes perfect every single time. It’s pretty much impossible to mess this recipe up, so it’s ideal for beginner bakers.
I love to make this whenever I have overripe bananas on the counter. (Which happens far more often than I’d like to admit!) Sometimes I’ll make a double batch to freeze. We also love to make several of these banana loaves and wrap them up for gifts.
Watch The Recipe Video!
Want to see how to make banana chocolate chip bread step-by-step? Be sure to watch my video!
Why You’ll Love This Banana Chocolate Chip Bread
Here are a few reasons this is one of my favorite banana bread recipes.
- Quick and easy prep. It takes less than 10 minutes to make the batter and get this bread ready to bake.
- Moist, tender texture. Thanks to the bananas and oil, this chocolate chip bread stays super moist, even after baking.
- Great way to use bananas. This banana chocolate chip bread may be one of the tastiest ways to use up those overripe bananas on the counter!
What You’ll Need
Chocolate chip banana bread is made primarily with pantry staples, plus overripe bananas and chocolate chips. See the recipe card below for measurements.
- Bananas – Overripe bananas are best for this recipe. They’re sweeter and easier to mash. Bananas with brown spots are perfect for this recipe.
- Eggs – Eggs help hold everything together.
- Chocolate chips – I used semi-sweet but dark chocolate or milk chocolate chips work too.
- Vegetable oil – Canola oil will work too.
- Milk – Helps to keep the bread moist.
- Baking soda – Helps the bread to rise.
- Salt – Balances out the other ingredients.
How To Make Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
This easy chocolate chip banana bread recipe comes together with just a few minutes of hands-on time. You can be enjoying a warm slice from the oven in just over an hour!
- Mash the bananas. Mash the bananas and combine them with the baking soda. Set aside.
- Make the batter. In a separate bowl, mix together the eggs, oil, and milk. Add the flour, sugar, and salt. Mix to combine. Stir in the banana mixture, then fold in the chocolate chips.
- Bake. Transfer the mixture to a bread pan. Bake for 45-50 minutes.
Tips & Tricks
Here are a few helpful things to keep in mind when making this chocolate chip banana bread recipe.
- Be sure to use overripe bananas. Overripe bananas are the best for a strong banana flavor. Bananas with brown spots are perfect for this.
- Use parchment paper in the pan. Using parchment paper in the pan will make it easier to remove the banana bread.
- Scoop and level your flour. Spoon the flour into your measuring cup then level it off with a flat edge. This keeps you from adding too much flour.
- Add extra chocolate chips. Feel free to sprinkle on an extra handful of chocolate chips before baking for a more aesthetic look.
- Switch up the mix-ins. You can make this regular banana bread by skipping the chocolate chips. You can also swap part of the chocolate chips for other mix-ins like toasted nuts, raisins, and dried fruits.
There are two main causes for this, the most common being that you overmixed the batter so that it was too dense. The second is using a smaller pan and overfilling it, which causes the middle to not cook enough and sink down.
In this easy recipe, the vegetable oil and milk help keep the bread extra moist. Not overbaking it is also key. If you overbake the bread, it’ll lose the moist texture and become dry and crumbly.
Bake for 45 minutes and check for doneness by inserting a toothpick in the center. It should come out clean. If the center is still wet, bake in 5 minute intervals until done.
You can enjoy this banana chocolate chip bread for breakfast, brunch, or dessert. I absolutely love it when it’s a bit warm from the oven but room temperature is great too.
Thanks to the moist texture of the bread and the melty chocolate chips, I don’t find this bread needs anything else. But if you want to turn it into a more filling treat, you can always spread some peanut butter (or almond butter) on top.
How to Store Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Room temperature. Store the chocolate chip banana bread in an airtight container, with a paper towel on the bottom. It’ll last for 2 to 3 days at room temperature.
- Fridge. To extend the shelf life, you can also store your banana bread in the fridge.
- Freezer. Chocolate chip banana bread freezes well. Allow to cool completely, then wrap in plastic wrap and foil. Place in a freezer-safe ziploc or container and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw on the counter.
More Banana Bread Recipes:
- Banana Bread in a Jar
- Cream Cheese Banana Bread
- Chocolate Mocha Banana Bread
- Easy Cake Mix Banana Bread.
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a small bowl, add the bananas and the baking soda and mash together with a fork. Set aside for now.
- In a separate, medium-sized bowl, add the eggs, vegetable oil, and milk and mix together.
- Add the flour, sugar, and salt and continue mixing. The batter will be a little dry at this point.
- Add the banana/ baking soda mixture to the batter and stir until thoroughly mixed.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into a greased or lined bread pan and bake for approximately 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick is removed clean.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.
- Mixing bowl medium-sized
- Mixing bowl small
- bread pan