This Beef Tips and Rice recipe is tender and juicy cut pieces of bottom-round steak smothered with a delicious sauce over rice.
Steak Tips and Gravy
I have the perfect dish for you and your family tonight for dinner! This simple recipe is so delicious and easy to make. You only need a small list of ingredients with some common household seasonings. This is a dish that will keep you full and satisfied every time!
Key Ingredients You’ll Need
Steak: I like to use thin-cut bottom-round steak or London broil.
Seasonings: I like to cook the steak with chopped onion, garlic, garlic salt, and parsley. You can add additional seasoning if you desire.
Cream Of Mushroom: This ingredient is all about consistency, this will give the gravy a thick and creamy texture.
Rice: You can have this cooked and prepared for when you serve this dish. You can use any rice that you like.
How To Make Beef Tips and Rice
Step 1. Add the oil into a dutch or cast iron skillet and cook over medium-high heat. Add in the prepared steak and mix until all the sides are browned. Put in the onion and cook for 1-2 minutes until tender. Put in the minced garlic and cook for another minute.
Step 2. Put the soup, water, and garlic salt into another bowl and combine. Add on top of the meat and combine. Allow the ingredients to come to a simmer and turn the heat down to low. Place a lid on top and let it simmer while mixing regularly for 45 minutes or until tender. Make sure to scrape the base of the cast iron to avoid sticking. Place hot, cooked rice on a plate with the steak and gravy on top and garnish with chopped parsley.
What Can I Serve Beef Tips with other than Rice?
Although, rice can make this recipe super filling and it pairs very well with the steak. You can use other things that will taste good with it as well. I prefer to use egg noodles or mashed potatoes if I don’t have rice.
Tips & Tricks
- Gradually add water to the gravy if it becomes too thick for your liking. Just continue to add water until the consistency is what you want.
- Try to make the steak about 1/8-inch thick. This will make it become tender with the recommended cooking time. If you want thicker pieces, you will have to cook it longer.
- Sometimes I prefer more gravy than meat, so if that’s the case for you, you can just use 1/2 pound of steak and double the ingredients for the gravy.
More Steak Recipes:
- Hamburger Steak
- Crock Pot Cube Steak with Gravy
- Sheet Pan Steak Fajitas
- Spicy Bourbon BBQ Steak Kabobs
Beef Tips and Rice
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 lb. bottom round steak or London broil, thin-cut, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 1 tsp garlic minced
- 1 10.5 oz. can cream of mushroom soup
- ½ cup water
- ½ tsp garlic salt
- parsley Chopped for garnish
- 2-3 cups cooked rice hot for serving
- Into a dutch or cast iron skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the steak to the skillet; stir and heat until browned on all sides.
- Add the onion and sauté until tender (1-2 minutes).
- Add the minced garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the soup, water, and garlic salt; pour over the meat and mix well.
- Bring to a simmer and reduce heat to low.
- Cover and continue to simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 45 minutes or until the meat is tender.
- Be sure to scrape the bottom of the skillet when stirring to prevent sticking.
- Serve over hot, cooked rice and garnish with chopped parsley.