Candy Cane Cake Roll
This Amazing Candy Cane Cake Roll is easy to make, and it’s perfect for the holidays! The recipe is simple, and the results are stunning. Your friends and family will love this delicious cake.
Delicious Candy Cane Swiss Cake Roll
This Candy Cane Jelly Roll Cake is the perfect way to celebrate the holidays and enjoy a delicious treat with your friends and family. You won’t believe how easy it is to make, either! Rolled cakes like this Red Velvet Cake Roll give such an amazing appearance, and this Candy Cane Rolled Cake is no exception.
What is a Rolled Cake?
A rolled cake is a homemade or premade cake that uses a sponge cake and different types of filling like whipped cream, jam, or frosting. The frosting is placed on top of the cake before it is rolled and spread evenly to make the frosting layer. You then use a towel and parchment paper to roll the cake into a log to create a swirl effect with the middle frosting layer.
Key Ingredients to Make this Candy Cane Cake Roll
- White Cake Mix– Using a cake mix will save you time. You can use white for the best results or use yellow in a pinch.
- Peppermint Extract- You can use peppermint extract or you can use peppermint flavoring. These gave that candy cane taste to this cake.
- Cream Cheese Frosting-Using cream cheese frosting takes this cake over the top. I love this recipe because it is so simple and tastes amazing.
- Candy Cane- You can use whatever candy canes you have. Large and small ones are going to be broken up to add to this cake.
- Food Coloring- You will want to use Leaf Gel Food Coloring and Red Gel Food Coloring to get these colors.
Can I Make the White Cake From Scratch?
Yes, you can make the white cake from scratch. Using a cake mix saves time but many people have a white cake recipe that they love which works perfectly for this recipe.
How to Make a Candy Cane Cake Roll
Step 1- Wet Ingredients.
Set the oven to 350 degrees and use parchment paper to line a large cookie sheet. Add the eggs into the bowl of a standing mixer and combine on medium speed until light in color and frothy (about 6 minutes). Turn the speed down to low and add in the cake mix, oil, water, and peppermint extract and combine until smooth.
Step 2- Coloring the Batter.
Use Pam baking spray to grease the cookie sheet and make sure the parchment paper hands over the baking sheet at least 3-inches. Separate the batter into 3 portions leaving one portion in the mixing bowl and place the 2 other portions into separate medium-sized bowls. Place a few drops of the red food coloring into one of the medium bowls. In the other medium bowl, add a few drops of the green food coloring and mix until the desired color is reached for both the red and green batters.
Step 3- Baking.
Place the different colored batters into separate piping bags and cut the ends off and begin creating diagonal lines into the prepared pans switching between each colored batter to create a candy cane pattern.
Set the pan for 12-14 minutes into the oven or until the top bounces back when touched. Tear off a piece of parchment paper that is larger than the cake pan and set on a flat surface and dust with powdered sugar. Once the cake is baked, transfer and flip the cake onto the prepared parchment paper.
Step 4- Rolling the Cake.
Take the parchment paper off of the cake pan and begin rolling the cake slowly. (be sure that the parchment paper is being wrapped with it) Allow the cake to cool once it has been rolled into a tube.
Once ready, unwrap the cake and add 1 container of the frosting on top of the cake evenly and top with crushed candy canes.
Slowly reroll the cake into a tube again and set it in the fridge to chill. Serve and enjoy!
How to Make the Stripes of the Candy Cane Rolled Cake?
This step on how to make the stripes for this rolled cake is very simple. You will first need to prepare the colored batters and add them each into separate piping bags. You will create diagonal lines with each frosting into the prepared pan to create the striped candy cane effect. Once you place the recipe in the oven to bake, it will come out with beautiful and vibrant stripes.
More Rolled Cakes:
- Pumpkin Cake Roll
- Lemon Cake Roll with Blueberries
- Tie-Dye Pinwheel Cake
- Carrot Cake Roll with Cream Cheese Frosting Filling
Candy Cane Cake Roll
- 2 medium bowl
- 3 disposable piping bags
- 1 15.25 oz box White cake mix
- 6 large eggs
- 1/4 C water
- 1/4 C Canola oil
- 1 tbsp peppermint extract
- 1 8 oz container cream cheese frosting
- 1 C powdered sugar
- 1 C crushed candy cane
- Leaf Gel food coloring
- Red Gel food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper
- Using a standing mixer or hand mixer, beat the 6 eggs on medium speed until they are light in color and frothy, about 6 minutes
- At a slow speed, mix in the cake mix, oil, water, and peppermint extract until combined and smooth.
- Spray your cookie sheet with pam baking spray and cover the cookie sheet with parchment
- paper. Make sure there is about 3 in of overhang on each end
- Divide the batter between the mixing bowl and two medium bowls
- In one medium bowl, mix in a few drops of red gel food coloring
- In the second medium bowl, mix in a few drops of the green gel food coloring
- Scoop the red, green, and white cake batter into their own piping bag
- Cut the tips off and pipe out thick lines going diagonal, alternating between the colors to create a candy cane look.
- Bake in the oven for 12-14 minutes or until the top springs back when you touch it
- Place a larger than the cake pan piece of parchment paper onto your counter and sprinkle with powdered sugar
- Once the timer goes off, carefully flip over the cake onto the parchment paper
- Remove the parchment paper from the cake sheet
- Carefully roll the cake up, making sure the bottom parchment paper is being wrapped with the cake.
- Roll the cake into a tube and allow to cool completely
- Once cooled, unwrap the cake carefully
- Spread 1 container of the cream cheese frosting onto the cake
- Sprinkle the crushed candy cane on top
- Carefully re-roll the cake back into a log
- Place into the fridge until ready to serve!