If you want a delicious and flavorful cake that will be perfect for any occasion, then, I have the perfect recipe for you! This Caramel Apple Texas Sheet Cake is a simple yet wonderful mix of flavors. Your friends and family may just fall in love with this dessert and will come around for seconds.
Caramel Apple Texas Sheet Cake
This Texas Sheet Cake is not too complex to make and the directions are easy to follow along with. This is a perfect mix of flavors and ingredients to make a deliciously moist and sweet cake. Also a great dessert for holidays or an after-meal treat. This is going to be a cake you make over and over again.
- Butter- You want to use unsalted butter to control the amount of salt.
- Water- You will need to use cold water for this recipe.
- Flour- You should use All-purpose flour for best results.
- Sugar- The best desserts have sugar in the recipe.
- Salt- This will bring out the flavors in the recipe.
- Baking soda– This will help your cake rise in the oven.
- Ground cinnamon, Nutmeg, and Ground cloves- These spice are the spices that are best with apples.
- Sour cream- You will want to use full fat sour cream for this recipe.
- Eggs- You will want to have your eggs at room temperature.
- Apple- You will have your apples diced finely.
- Milk- You can use whole or 2% milk.
- Powdered sugar- This sugar is perfect for homemade frosting.
- Vanilla extract– Use pure vanilla for the best flavoring.
- Caramel flavoring- This will be added into your frosting for taste.
How to Make a Caramel Apple Texas Sheet Cake
Set your oven to 350 degrees and evenly spray a 9×13 pan with Pam.
Combine the butter and water and bring to a slow boil in a medium saucepan. Be sure to mix consistently to keep from burning the butter.
Take away from the heat and set aside to cool.
Stir the flour, sugar, salt, baking in a large bowl using a whisk.
Add in the baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves until well mixed.
Mix, with a whisk, the sour cream, and eggs in a separate large bowl.
Slowly whisk the butter mixture into the egg mixture and mix well.
Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix well.
Carefully mix in the prepared apples.
Evenly spread the mixture into the pan.
For 25-35 minutes, bake in the oven or until a tester comes out clean of batter.
Let the cake cool while you prepare the icing.
Heat the butter and milk over medium heat in a medium pot until the butter is melted. Mix well.
Add in the powdered sugar, vanilla, caramel, and cinnamon and whisk until well mixed and smooth.
Add the icing over the cake and let the icing harden before serving!
What are the Best Apples to Make Apple Cake With?
You can use a few different apples for the Texas Sheet Cake. You can use apples such as granny smith or honey crisp. These apples have the best flavor and texture for this recipe.
Why do They Call it a Texas Sheet Cake?
The origin behind the Texas Sheet Cake is unclear. However, people observed that the size of the cake is larger than most. The larger size of the cake may reference the size of Texas and how they say that everything is bigger in Texas, which leads people to believe that’s why it is called this.
More Cake Recipes
- Halloween Cake
- Butterscotch Pumpkin Cake
- Lemonade Sheet Cake
- Blackberry Margarita Sheet Cake with Tequila
- Christmas Cranberry Pound Cake
Caramel Apple Texas Sheet Cake
- 1 C unsalted butter softened
- 1 C cold water
- 2 C plus 2 tbsp flour
- 2 C sugar
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- ½ C full fat sour cream
- 2 large eggs room tempature
- 1 medium apple diced finely
- ¼ C unsalted butter softened
- 3 tbsp whole milk
- 2 C powdered sugar
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tsp caramel flavoring
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9x13 glass pan with pam baking spray
- Using a medium saucepan, combine the butter and water and bring to a slow boil. Make sure to stir consistently to avoid burning the butter
- Remove and allow to cool
- Using a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves until combined
- Using another large bowl, whisk together the sour cream and eggs
- Gradually wisk in the butter mixture into the sour cream and eggs until combined
- Gradually whisk in the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until combined
- Fold in the apples
- Spread the batter evenly into the baking pan
- Bake in the oven for 25-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean
- Allow to cool on the counter while you make the icing
- Using a medium pot, heat up the butter and milk over medium heat until the butter is melted. Whisk to combine
- Whisk in the powdered sugar, vanilla, caramel and cinnamon until combined and smooth
- Pour over the cake and allow icing to harden before enjoying!