Ready to make this fun Halloween Cake? This moist and delicious chocolate cake comes alive with bright colors and spooky eyes around the cake. It is perfect for Halloween or whenever you want a fun cake idea.
This recipe is a great way to add some bright color to an otherwise dark and spooky holiday. I love the bright neon colors because they are kid-friendly and while still “monster” themed, the feeling is a lot more fun and less scary. For a darker option, my Halloween bundt cake is a great choice. You could even add some Halloween monster cookie sandwiches to the dessert buffet!
Where Can I Find Eyeball Candy for my Halloween Cake?
When looking for eyeball candy you can usually find it in the places where they sell cake decorating supplies. You can shop online, at Walmart or at craft stores. I like buying at places like Michael’s, Joann’s, or Hobby Lobby because they often have a much larger variety of sizes and types. If not, you can also look at online party supply stores for various packages of candy eyes to choose from for your cake.
How Can I Make a Cake Mix Recipe Moist?
When you are making a cake mix recipe you want to make sure to keep it moist. There are a few ways to make sure the cake is moist. Be sure not to overbake the cake.
If the cake is overbaked, it tends to dry out. Start with the minimum amount of cooking time and then increase it by a minute or two each time until it is done. You can also add things like an extra egg to the batter, or even a box of pudding mix.
The other way to keep a cake moist is the make sure it is stored properly. You do not want to have the cake affected by the air or else it will dry out.
Tips for Icing a Layer Cake
With most layer cakes, you would scoop the frosting into the center of the layer and then smooth it out. With this recipe, since we are making the design in the layers, you are using a piping bag to get the icing there. When frosting the outside of the cake, scoop the frosting on the top. As you smooth it, let the excess slide over the edges.
Ingredients You Will Need…
(full amounts in recipe box below)
- Dark Chocolate Cake mix
- Canola oil
Ingredients for Buttercream Frosting
- Powder sugar
- Heavy whipping cream
- Pure vanilla extract
- Green, purple, and orange food coloring
- Wilton Halloween sprinkles
- Red candy eyes
- Wilton bloody skull and bones sprinkle
- Green glitter piping gel
How to Make a Halloween Cake
Prepare the cake batter as directed dividing into 3 pans to bake. Once done cooking, set aside to cool completely before icing the cake.
Buttercream Frosting Directions
How to Decorate the Cake
- 2 boxes of Dark Chocolate Cake mix
- 6 large eggs
- 2 C water
- 2/3 C canola oil
- 3 9 inch round cake pans
- 1 10 inch round cake board
- 1 cake leveler
- 3 C unsalted sweet cream butter softened
- 6 C powder sugar
- 5-7 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- Green purple, and orange food coloring, I used Americolor Electric Green, Electric Purple, and Electric Orange gel coloring
- 1 large piping bag with star tip
- 3 disposable piping bags
- 3 bowls
- 1 angled spatula
- 1 container of Wilton Halloween sprinkles
- 1 package of red edible eyes sprinkles
- 1 container of Wilton bloody skull and bones sprinkles
- 1 tube of green glitter piping gel
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray cake pans with pam baking spray
- Follow the directions on the back of the cake boxes
- Divide the batter evenly between the 3 cake pans
- bake in the oven for 25-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean
- Allow to cool completely
- Remove the cakes from the cake pans and place them onto a cutting board
- Place one cake onto the cake board and use the cake leveler to remove the dome from the cake
- Repeat steps with remaining two layers
Vanilla frosting directions :
- Using a standing mixer, combine all ingredients except the food coloring and beat until smooth and stiff peaks form
- Scoop 1 1/2 C of frosting into the 3 bowls each
- Mix in 1 color into each bowl
- Scoop each color into its own piping bag
- Scoop 2 C of frosting into the green frosting bowl and add more green food coloring into the frosting. Mix until combined
- Cut the tips off the three disposable piping bags
- Using the green frosting, pipe a thick ring round the outer edge of the top of the first layer of cake
- Pipe a thick ring of purple frosting on the inside of the green ring
- Pipe a thick ring of orange frosting on the inside of the purple ring
- Repeat steps until you cant pipe any more rings
- Remove the dome from the second cake layer
- Place the second layer on top of the first layer of frosting
- Repeat steps with the frostings
- Repeat steps of removing the dome from the third cake layer
- Place the third layer of cake onto the second layer of frosting
- Using 1 3/4 C of the green frosting, frost entire cake
How to Decorate
- In a large bowl, combine all Halloween sprinkles
- Coat the entire cake with the halloween sprinkles
- Using the left over green and white frosting, scoop green frosting onto one side of the piping bag and the white frosting onto the other side that way you have a duel color frosting
- Pipe dollops of frosting onto the top of the cake
- Using the piping gel, pipe oozy drips onto the top of the frosting dollops
- Place cake into the fridge to allow the frosting to set before cutting into slices and enjoying!
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.