Delicious Apple Pie Cupcakes with cinnamon cream cheese frosting! These are the perfect Fall treat, or any time of year.
Classic Apple Pie Cupcakes Recipe
Apple pie is a simple and easy dessert, but what happens when you want apple pie in cupcake form? That is when you make these delicious apple pie cupcakes. These moist spiced cupcakes are perfect to serve any time of year but especially during fall.
What You’ll Need
- Spice Cupcakes: These cupcakes are a basic cupcake recipe with all purpose flour, baking soda and baking powder, kosher salt, butter, brown sugar, salt, and apple sauce, instead of vegetable oil. The spice flavoring comes from cinnamon, cloves, and allspice. A cake mix can be used in a pinch but this homemade recipe is so much better.
- Cream Cheese Frosting: The cupcake is topped with cream cheese frosting that has cinnamon added to it.
- Crumble Topping: The crumble topping on the cupcakes is made from sugar, brown sugar, flour, and butter.
- Apple pie filling: You can use store-bought but I highly recommend my homemade apple pie filling. It is amazing using Honeycrisp, Gala, pink ladies, or granny smith apples.
How To Make Apple Pie Cupcakes
Make the Cupcakes: Using a medium mixing bowl, stir the dry ingredients and set it aside. In a large bowl, or using a stand mixer, beat the wet ingredients together. Then, slowly whisk in the flour mixture. Add cupcake liners to a muffin tin. Fill the cupcake liners and bake. Allow the cupcakes to cool completely.
Make Crumble Topping: Using a small bowl and combine the ingredients until it forms a sand like consistency.
Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting: Make the cream cheese frosting and then add the cinnamon.
Assemble the Cupcake: Scoop the frosting into the piping bag. Pipe around the cupcake leaving an opening in the center. Sprinkle the crumble over the frosting. Add the apple filling into the center of the frosting.
How Do I Keep My Cupcakes Moist?
The best way to make sure your cupcakes stay moist is to not overbake the cupcakes. When you overbake the cupcakes, they become dried out. The other way is to make sure the cupcakes are stored properly. When the cupcakes are left out uncovered, they will become dried out and stale.
Frostings For Apple Pie Cupcakes:
I make a cinnamon cream cheese frosting for this recipe. Buttercream frosting is also an option. If you wanted to do a store bought frosting, you can use a vanilla frosting and add cinnamon to it.
Ways to Make Your Apple Pie Cupcakes Even Better
Here’s a list of add-ins and toppings you can use to enhance your apple pie cupcakes:
- Chopped Nuts: Add a crunch with walnuts, pecans, or almonds.
- Raisins: Mix in plump raisins for a sweet burst of flavor.
- Diced Apples: Include extra apple pieces for added texture and taste.
- Caramel Swirl: Drizzle caramel sauce into the batter for a rich twist.
- Cinnamon Chips: Fold in cinnamon-flavored chips for extra warmth.
- Dried Cranberries: Introduce a tangy contrast with dried cranberries.
- Chopped Dates: Add natural sweetness and a chewy element.
- Cinnamon Sugar Sprinkle: Dust the tops with a touch of cinnamon sugar.
- Whipped Cream: A dollop of whipped cream complements the flavors.
- Streusel Crumble: Crown with a buttery streusel topping for texture.
- Caramel Drizzle: Drizzle caramel generously over the cupcakes.
- Vanilla Glaze: A simple vanilla glaze adds a glossy finish.
- Apple Slices: Garnish with thin apple slices for an elegant look.
These add-ins and toppings will elevate your apple pie cupcakes, creating a variety of flavors and textures to suit your taste preferences.
Other Apple Desserts You Will Love
- Apple Pie Mini Cheesecake Bites
- Air Fryer Apple Pie WonTons
- Caramel Apple Cinnamon Rolls
- 2-ingredient Apple Pie Cups
- Apple Slab Pie
- Easy Apple Crisp
Apple Pie Cupcakes
Crumble Topping Ingredients :
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- Using a medium sized mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, cloves and allspice. Mix to combine and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the room temperature butter and brown sugar, beat using an electric mixer until combined & creamy, about 30-60 seconds.
- Add in the eggs and applesauce, beat again.
- Gradually add in the flour mixture, mixing by hand with a spatula until it’s just incorporated. The batter will be thick.
- Fill each cupcake liner 3/4 full with batter. Bake for 19-21 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then move them onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Using a small bowl, combine the sugar, brown sugar, and flour until combined.
- Mix in the melted butter until combined and clumping together.
Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting:
- Make the cream cheese frosting and add the cinnamon.
- Scoop frosting into piping bag.
- Frost cooled cupcakes around the edge, leaving the center open.
- Spoon about 1 tablespoon of the apple pie filling into the center of the cupcakes.
- Sprinkle some of the crumble onto the frosting. Enjoy!