Apple Pie Cupcakes Recipe
If you love apple pie, you are going to love these delicious Apple Pie Cupcakes. A rich buttery cupcake with homemade cinnamon buttercream with apple pie on top. These cupcakes are absolutely amazing and easy to eat.
Classic Apple Pie Cupcakes Recipe
Apple pie is a simple and easy dessert, but what happens when you want a twist on a classic. That is when you make these delicious apple pie cupcakes.
- Butter Yellow Cake mix- Using a box mix saves time
- Water- This is the water that is used in the cake mix
- Unsalted butter- Always use unsalted butter to control the amount of salt in the recipe.
- Eggs-Use room temperature eggs
- Powdered sugar- Powdered sugar is the best sugar for frosting
- Vanilla extract- Use pure vanilla for the flavor.
- Heavy whipping cream – Heavy cream thins the frosting to the right consistency
- Ground cinnamon- Cinnamon is a common flavor for apple pie
- Apple pie filling- You can also make your own pie filling if you prefer.
- Light brown sugar- Brown sugar gives a bolder flavor.
- Sugar-You need sugar in cupcakes
- Kosher salt- Salt brings out the flavor in cupcakes.
- Flour- Use all purpose flour.
How to Make Apple Pie Cupcakes
Using a mixer, beat together all of the cake ingredients and then fill the cupcake liners 3/4 of the way full.
Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 19 minutes.
Allow the cupcakes to cool completely.
Next, make the whipped cream.
Beat together the whipped cream ingredients until it is smooth and forms stiff peaks.
Next, make the crumble
Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and mix it together until it forms a crumble like texture.
Build the cupcakes
Pipe a ring of frosting around the top of the cupcakes, and then go along the ring again. This creates a wall.
Remove some of the apples from the can and cut them into smaller pieces. Then scoop some of the pie filling into the center.
Sprinkle the top with some of the crumble on top.
How do I Keep My Cupcakes Moist?
The best way to make sure your cupcakes stay moist is to not overbake the cupcakes. When you overbake the cupcakes, they become dried out. The other way is to make sure the cupcakes are stored properly. When the cupcakes are left out uncovered, they will become dried out and stale.
What is the Best Frosting for Apple Pie Cupcakes?
I make a cinnamon buttercream frosting for this recipe. If you wanted to do a store bought frosting, you can use a traditional frosting and add cinnamon to it.
Other Apple Desserts You Will Love
Classic Apple Pie Cupcakes
- 1 Cupcake pan
- cupcake liners
- 1 large piping bag with star tip
- 1 box Butter Yellow Cake mix
- 1 C water
- 1/3 C unsalted butter softened
- 3 large eggs
- ½ C light brown sugar
- ¼ C sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- ½ C unsalted butter melted
- 1 ¼ C flour
Cinnamon Vanilla Frosting
- 2 C unsalted butter softened
- 4 ½ C powdered sugar
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 - 6 Heavy whipping cream
- 2 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 - 21 oz apple pie filling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line cupcake pan with the liners
- Using a hand or standing mixer, beat together all ingredients until combined and mixed
- Scoop ¾ batter into the liners
- Bake in the oven for 19 minutes or until a light golden brown
- Allow to cool completely
Cinnamon Vanilla Frosting Directions
- Using a standing mixer, beat together the butter, powdered sugar, heavy whipping cream, cinnamon and vanilla until smooth and stiff with peaks
- Scoop frosting into the piping bag
Crumble Topping Directions
- Combine all ingredients into a medium bowl
- Using your fingers, mix ingredients together until combined and crumble like
Building the cupcake directions
- Pipe a ring of frosting onto the top of the cupcake
- Repeat step again to have a “wall” of frosting
- Remove some apples from the can and cut into smaller bites
- Scoop some of the apples into the center of the frosting
- Sprinkle some crumble on top
- Sprinkle with some cinnamon