Easy Chicken and Rice Casserole (15-minute prep)
Chicken and Rice Casserole is one of the best comfort meals. It is made with inexpensive ingredients, is so filling and incredibly easy to make. Serve with roasted vegetables or a side salad, this delicious dinner is sure to become a family favorite.
Serve this casserole with Instant Pot Mexican Street Corn.
Chicken and Rice Casserole
Whenever I have leftover rice and chicken, this is one of my go-to meals. It is a great way to use up the extra ingredients. Using ingredients that are precooked makes this an incredibly easy meal to make. It is perfect for people who like to meal prep one day and eat all week. Once the main ingredients are cooked, it only takes a few minutes to get this casserole ready for the oven. Our Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole is another version of this recipe that includes cheese and broccoli – it’s super yummy as well!
- Chicken broth
- Heavy cream
- Ground black pepper
- Cooked rice
- Fresh mushrooms
- Red pepper
- Cooked chicken
- Slivered almonds
- Fresh parsley
How to Make a Chicken and Rice Casserole
Grease a casserole dish and set it aside. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Melt the butter in a sauce pan and then add the flour, mixing it together well.
Slowly add the chicken broth and cream.
Stir is constantly. Cook it for about 5 minutes as it thickens.
Season with salt and pepper, thyme and basil.
Mix in the mushroom, peppers, and chicken.
Place the cooked rice in the casserole dish then pour the sauce over the rice.
Add the almonds on top and bake for 30 minutes.
Garnish the casserole with parsley before serving if desired.
How Do I Prevent Rice from Sticking in a Casserole Dish?
Whenever I make a casserole with rice I hate when it sticks. There are a few ways to prevent it from sticking. You spray the casserole with nonstick baking spray. You can also line the baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper.
Tips for Reheating Rice Casserole with Chicken
There are a few ways that you can reheat a rice casserole with chicken. If you are only reheating a small portion, like a single serving, you can reheat it in the microwave. If you are reheating the entire casserole, you will want to reheat it in the oven. Cover the casserole to help keep it from drying out while it reheats.
Chicken and Rice Casserole
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 ½ cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 cups cooked rice either white or brown
- ¾ cup fresh mushrooms chopped
- ½ cup red pepper chopped
- 4 cups cooked chicken cubed
- ¼ cup slivered almonds
- Fresh parsley for serving if desired
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 2 quart casserole dish. Set aside.
- In a saucepan melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the flour and blend well.
- Gradually add the chicken broth and the cream stirring continuously.
- Continue stirring and cook until the sauce begins to thicken, about 5 minutes.
- Season with the salt and pepper, thyme and basil. Set aside.
- Place the cooked rice in the bottom of the prepared casserole dish. Set aside.
- Mix the mushrooms, red pepper, and chicken into the sauce.
- Pour the sauce over the rice in the casserole dish.
- Sprinkle the almonds over the top.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley before serving if desired.