This Chocolate Filled Cupcakes Recipe is one of the most perfect chocolate desserts I’ve ever tried. The cupcake is rich and moist and filled with smooth Nutella filling. I promise it will become a new family favorite.
The Best Cupcakes With Chocolate Filling
I LOVE Nutella and will find any and every excuse to use it in recipes (or just eat out of the jar with a spoon – don’t judge!). It’s rich, chocolatey, and delicious. The best part it is great on its own, making it an easy choice for a cupcake filling.
The hazelnut flavor pairs so well with the deep chocolate cupcake and chocolate buttercream frosting. I 100% stand behind adding the chopped hazelnuts. It adds more hazelnut flavor and crunchy texture. You end up with a cupcake that not’s too sweet but wonderfully balanced. Even if you are not a baker, these instructions are easy to follow and the end product is totally worth the labor of love. Likely, you won’t have any leftovers if your kids find them.
What You’ll Need
Here are all of the ingredients you will need for each part of this chocolate-filled cupcakes recipe.
- Flour: I use all-purpose.
- Cocoa Powder: It must be unsweetened – I recommend Hersery’s Special Dark.
- Baking Powder & Baking Soda
- Butter: Unsalted is best for this recipe. Leave it at room temperature for 30 minutes to soften.
- Sugar – you will need granulated sugar.
- Milk: I use 2%. Feel free to use whole milk as well, but I wouldn’t recommend using fat free.
- Butter: Also unsalted and softened.
- Powdered Sugar
- Cocoa Powder
- Milk: I also use 2% here.
- Hazelnuts: Chopped for garnish.
How to Make Cupcakes With Chocolate Filling
It should be easier than ever to execute this cupcake recipe! Below you will find the step-by-step instructions for the batter, baking, filling, and frosting.
- Step 1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and prepare your muffin tin by adding the paper liners.
- Step 2. Whisk the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a large bowl.
Step 3. Cream the butter and sugar in a separate mixing bowl with an electric mixer. The result should be light and fluffy.
Step 4. Gradually add the eggs and vanilla to the butter mixture. Mix until well combined.
Step 5. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Alternate with the milk. Mix until just combined but do not overmix the batter.
- Step 6. Scoop the batter into the liners and fill them ¾ of the way. This gives the cupcakes room to rise.
- Step 7. Bake for about 18-20 minutes. They are ready when a toothpick is inserted into the center and it comes out clean.
- Step 8. Allow them to cool in the muffin tin for a few minutes before transferring them to a wire rack. Then, make sure they cool completely for about 30 minutes.
- Step 9. Use a frosting piping tip or a knife to cut a hole into the top of the cupcake. Be sure to not cut through to the bottom.
- Step 10. Fill the cupcakes with Nutella using a piping bag or small spoon. To check that the filling has filled the hole, give each cupcake a light tap after adding the Nutella.
- Step 11. Make the frosting by beating the butter until creamy, adding powdered sugar, cocoa powder, and milk, then beating until nice and smooth.
- Step 12. Frost the cupcakes and sprinkle the chopped hazelnuts on top. Enjoy!
This is a list of the most important equipment needed to make the best chocolate cupcakes!
- Muffin Tin
- Liners: I use paper liners, but you can use oven-safe silicone ones, too.
- Mixing Bowls: You will need 3.
- Mixer: An electric hand mixer or stand mixer will work.
- Small Spoon
Can I Eat These Warm or Cold?
You can eat them warm if you prefer, but you will not be able to add the filling or frosting. If the cupcakes are too warm, they will fall parts when you fill them and the frosting will melt. Let them cool completely before adding Nutella filling and frosting.
How to Store Leftovers
These cupcakes will stay fresh in an airtight container for up to 3 days at room temperature. You can store them in the refrigerator if you want them to last longer. They will stay fresh for up to a week.
Can I Freeze the Cupcakes?
You can bake these cupcakes ahead of time and freeze them. However, I would skip the filling and frosting. Make those and add them when you are ready to enjoy the chocolate-filled cupcakes. Store them in an airtight container or freezer bag and they will stay fresh for 2-3 months.
Substitutions and Variations
- Switch up the flavor of the filling and use peanut butter, fruit like strawberry preserves, or caramel.
- Instead of chocolate frosting, try vanilla, cream cheese, or raspberry.
- You can substitute cake flour if you don’t have all-purpose flour or want to use a different kind.
- I use 2% milk in the cupcake batter and frosting but you can use whole milk instead. Almond or soy milk can also be used!
More Cupcake Recipes
- Lemon Cupcakes
- Maple Bacon Cupcakes Recipe
- Boston Cream Cupcakes
- Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes
- Pineapple Upside Down Cupcakes
Chocolate Filled Cupcakes
- 1 cup Nutella
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup milk
- chopped hazelnuts
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and line a muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs and vanilla extract to the butter mixture and mix until combined.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture, alternating with the milk, and mix until well combined.
- Fill the muffin cups about 3/4 of the way full with the batter.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool for a few minutes in the tin, then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- Once the cupcakes are cooled, use a frosting piping tip or a knife to cut a small hole in the center of each cupcake. Be careful not to cut all the way through the bottom.
- Fill each hole with Nutella using a small spoon or a piping bag. Give each cupcake a small tap on the counter to make sure the Nutella gets all the way into the hole.
- Beat the butter in a large mixing bowl until creamy.
- Add the powdered sugar, cocoa powder, and milk to the butter, and beat until smooth.
- Frost the cupcakes with the chocolate frosting, and sprinkle chopped nuts on top.