Pineapple Upside-Down Cupcakes
These pineapple upside-down cupcakes take all the flavors of a traditional upside down cake and makes it in the perfect portion size. These light and fluffy cupcakes make the perfect cupcake for an easy weeknight dessert or for a special occasion.
Pineapple Upside-Down Cupcakes
I love pineapple upside-down cake but I also love cupcakes. The combination of the two in these cupcakes make for one of the best desserts ever. I love making these pineapple upside down cupcakes for all occasions. They are a huge hit for parties and get-togethers and are perfect for bake sales.
Ingredients You Will Need
- Pineapple Cake Mix
- Vegetable oil
- Pineapple juice
- Brown sugar
- Maraschino cherries
How to Make Pineapple Upside Down Cupcakes
Start with a preheated oven to 350 degrees. Spray the cupcake pans with nonstick baking spray.
In a bowl, using a mixer, mix together the cake mix, oil, eggs and pineapple juice on low speed until well mixed. Once mixed, then beat the batter for 2 minutes on medium speed.
Spoon 1 tablespoon of butter into the bottom of each cup.
Next, add 2 teaspoons of brown sugar to each cup and top with a cherry in the center.
Add 1 tablespoon of pineapple to each cup and press it down.
Fill the cups with the cake batter almost the top of the cups.
Bake the cupcakes on the center rack for 20 minutes or until they are done. Insert a toothpick in the center comes out clean. DO not push all the way to the pineapple mixture.
Allow the cupcakes to cool on a cooling rack and then turn the pan over into another pan or covered surface.
Can I Use Fresh Pineapple for These Cupcakes?
These pineapple cupcakes are just the right amount of pineapple to cupcakes when you use the crushed pineapple. However, you can use fresh pineapple if you choose. You will want to make sure that the pineapple is chopped into as small of pieces as possible. I would recommend running it through a food processor.
Do Upside-Down Cupcakes Have to Be Refrigerated?
While most cakes do not need to be refrigerated, since this cake has fruit in it, you will want to store it in the refrigerator. Always keep cakes that have fresh fruit or a perishable frosting like a cream cheese based icing in the refrigerated.
Other Pineapple Desserts You Will Love:
Pineapple Upside-down Cupcakes
- Pineapple Cake Mix can use yellow
- 3 eggs
- ½ c. vegetable oil
- 1 c. pineapple juice
- ½ c. melted butter
- 1-1/2 c. brown sugar
- 4 c. crushed pineapple drained
- 24 maraschino cherries patted dry
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray two 12 count cupcake pans with non-stick cooking spray.
- Mix cake mix, oil, eggs and pineapple juice on low speed of mixer until combined. Switch to med. Speed and mix for about 2 min.
- Spoon 1 t. melted butter in bottom of each cupcake cup.
- Add 2 t. brown sugar to each cup.
- Place a cherry in the center of the cups.
- Add 1 T. of the crushed pineapple to each cup and pack down.
- Fill the cups with the cake batter to just below the tops of each cup.
- Bake on center rack of oven for 20 min. or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Only push toothpick part way into the cupcake so you don’t reach it into the pineapple mixture.
- Allow to cool in pan on baking rack for 5 min., then invert onto another pan or wax paper covered surface. Turn each cupcake right side up.