This Funnel Cake Recipe is a quick and delicious batter that is fried to golden brown perfections and topped with a dusting of powdered sugar for sweetness. Super easy to make and even better than the County Fair.
What is a Funnel Cake?
Funnel cake is a light slightly sweetened batter fried until golden brown and topped with powdered sugar. Most people think they have to wait until the fair to get this beloved treat and don’t realize how easy it is to make it at home.
Maybe this year you can’t make it to your favorite carnival or festival to enjoy the popular dessert. But, now it is super simple to make at home with just a handful of ingredients. This can be ready to eat in just minutes! Want a smaller version? Try our Funnel Cake Bites.
Key Ingredients You’ll Need
Sugar: You will need regular sugar for the batter and I like to top my recipe with a dust of powdered sugar.
Milk: Use whole or 2% milk for this recipe.
Flour: All-purpose Flour will work the best for making that airy and fluffy texture along with baking powder to make the recipe expand.
How To Make Funnel Cake
Step 1. Pour about 2-inches of oil into a large, thick-bottomed skillet. Set the oil over medium-high while you prepare the batter. Add the eggs, sugar, milk flour, baking powder, and salt into a large mixing bowl and combine.
Step 2. Sprinkle some flour into the oil to test if it is hot enough. It should sizzle, and to test it, even more, you can use a thermometer and it should read 370-375F (187-190C). When it reaches the temperature, turn the heat down to medium.
Step 3. Use a measuring cup and portion about 1/2 cup of the batter and carefully add it into the oil. Try to create a thin stream while swirling, crisscrossing, and overlapping the batter. Allow each side to cook for 90 seconds until light brown. Place on a plate lined with paper towels. Continue until all the batter is used and be sure to check that the temperature is steady between batches.
Step 4. Dust the finished recipe with powdered sugar and enjoy while it’s warm.
- Fruit: Any fresh fruit would be delicious, like strawberries, pineapple or an assortment of fruit!
- Ice Cream: A scoop of your favorite ice cream, like classic vanilla or mint chocolate chip ice cream.
- Sauce: Drizzle with chocolate syrup, caramel sauce, or even whipped cream!
- Sprinkles: Try cinnamon sugar like a churro, chocolate jimmies or rainbow sprinkles.
How Long Does Funnel Cake Last?
How long this recipe lasts is dependent on how it is stored. Place the funnel cake into an airtight container and store it in the fridge. This will make the recipe last for 4 to 5 days.
More Carnival Recipes:
Funnel Cake Recipe (Quick and Easy)
- In a large, thick-bottomed skillet, pour oil to about 2 inches deep. Preheat over medium-high heat while you make the batter.
- In a large mixing bowl with a hand mixer, beat eggs, sugar, milk, flour, baking powder, and salt until smooth.
- Test your oil by dropping a tiny sprinkling of flour into it. If the flour sizzles, the oil is hot enough and test at 370-375F (187-190C) using a thermometer. Once it tests hot enough, turn the temperature down to medium.
- The portion about ½ cup of batter into a measuring cup. Slowly drizzle batter into oil in a thin stream, swirling and crisscrossing the batter over itself.
- Fry on each side until golden brown (about 90 seconds per side) then remove to a paper-towel-lined plate.
- Dust with powdered sugar and serve warm.
- Repeat with remaining batter but make sure that oil returns to temperature in between batches.