Resulting in decadently chewy, fudgy brownies with a perfectly crackly top, this is by far the Best Brownie Recipe I’ve ever tried. You’ll only need two bowls and some basic ingredients to make these homemade brownies!
The Best Fudgy & Chewy Brownies
Over the years, we have made some really fun brownies with all sorts of ingredients like Milky Ways, lemon, and even Dr. Pepper. However, nothing compares to a traditional, homemade chocolate brownie. I just love the classics.
I went on a mission to discover the best brownie recipe, trying out all kinds of different variations and ingredients and bake times, and I can honestly say the recipe I’m about to share is the best one of all.
This is a recipe that receives a loud round of oooh’s and ahhh’s from the family every time I make them. At this point, I just know to make a double batch because one is never enough!
If you’re someone who often just reaches for a box of brownie mix because it’s easier, know that this easy brownie recipe calls for just basic pantry ingredients and is just as simple as using a boxed brownie mix. The only difference is that the homemade brownies turn out FAR more amazing. Think absolute perfection – glossy, moist, fudgy, chewy, and filled with rich chocolate flavor. Yum!
What Makes This The Best Brownie Recipe?
Calling something the “best”, especially when it comes to something like brownies, takes a lot of confidence. And I do have 100% full confidence that this is THE best brownie recipe.
Let me count the reasons why…
- Decadent fudgy texture…no cake-like brownies here!
- Sweet but not TOO sweet
- Rich chocolate flavor
- Filled with cocoa powder AND chocolate chips.
- Perfectly moist
- Shiny, crispy, crackly outside
- Made with easy-to-find-ingredients
Is your mouth watering yet? Cause I’m tempted to make another batch just writing this now!
What You’ll Need
For this recipe, I’d be willing to bet that you probably have all of these ingredients in your pantry right now. Go take a peek at what you might be missing, gather everything up, and let’s bake!
- Flour – Be sure to measure the flour correctly. Too little or too much can affect the texture.
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder – It’s very important that you use unsweetened cocoa powder here!
- Powdered Sugar
- Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips – Use a quality brand for the best chocolate flavor.
- Vegetable Oil – Oil helps keep the brownies extra moist.
How To Make Fudgy Brownies From Scratch
These chewy brownies come together just as easily as a box mix – they just taste way better!
- Prep. Grab an 8×8 pan, line it with parchment paper and preheat your oven.
- Mix. Using two separate bowls, stir together your dry ingredients in one and mix the wet ingredients in the other.
- Combine. Slowly mix in the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until it’s all combined.
4. Bake. Pour the chocolate brownie batter into the pan and bake for about 40 minutes.
Tips for The BEST Homemade Brownies
I’m sure you’ve made brownies before but if you’re ready to make the best brownies you’ll ever try, follow these tips!
- Measure your flour exactly. Do this by adding the flour into the measuring cup with a spoon (instead of scooping from the container) without packing, and scraping the top off evenly with a butter knife.
- Don’t overmix the batter. Overmixing the batter leads to more air in the batter, which can result in cake-like brownies.
- Use a pizza cutter! One of our fun tricks is to pull the brownies out of the pan by the parchment paper, and after they cool just using a pizza cutter to cut them. Try it!
- Real vanilla extract. Using this instead of the imitation may cost a bit more, but the flavor is so much better when you use the real stuff.
- How to tell when brownies are done. The best way to tell if the brownies are done is to use a toothpick in the center. You want there to be a few moist crumbs on it. If there’s still wet batter, it needs to keep cooking. If there’s no crumbs at all, it’s probably overbaked. The center will likely still look undercooked but that’s okay.
- Add new toppings. Try things like M&M’s, mint chocolate chips, sprinkles, nuts or whatever sounds yummy!
What’s better than a warm, fudgy brownie with a glass of cold milk? The only thing I can think of is fudgy brownies with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. The warm chocolate and cold ice cream is a match made in heaven!
You can easily turn these into a brownie sundae with that scoop of vanilla ice cream, some chocolate (or caramel) syrup, whipped cream, and a cherry. Or just dig into a warm brownie straight from the oven.
No matter how you enjoy these brownies, you’ll be craving another one soon after!
Can I Freeze Homemade Brownies?
Yes, these fudgy brownies can be frozen. You can either freeze the whole pan or individual slices. I find they stay more moist if you wait to cut them just before serving.
Allow them to cool completely then cover with plastic wrap and aluminum foil. They can stay in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw on the counter and enjoy.
How to Store
Homemade brownies will stay fresh at room temperature for up to 5 days. The most important thing is to keep them out of direct sunlight and humidity. Instead of just placing them in an airtight container, I recommend wrapping them tightly in plastic wrap first, then placing them in the airtight container.
More Delicious Brownie Recipes:
- French Silk Brownies
- Chocolate Milk Brownies
- Chocolate Fudge Strawberry Brownies
- Butterscotch Brownies with Caramel Icing
BEST Brownie Recipe
- 1 ½ cup sugar
- ¾ cup flour
- ⅔ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 Tablespoon water
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees
- Line an 8×8 square baking pan with parchment paper, leaving an extra two inches over the sides for easy removal of the brownies whey they have finished baking.
- Lightly spray or butter the other exposed sides of the pan. Set the pan aside until the batter is ready.
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, powdered sugar, salt and chocolate chips.
- In a large mixing bowl, or stand mixer, mix the eggs, oil, water and vanilla together.
- Gradually add in the flour mixture and continue mixing until the dry ingredients are completely mixed in with the egg mixture.
- Evenly pour the batter into the lined pan, using a spoon or spatula to evenly distribute the batter.
- Bake on the center rack, in the middle of the oven for about 40 minutes.
- Optional: Sprinkle a handful of chocolate chips on top of the brownies about halfway into the baking process.
- Brownies will be done when the top looks shiny.
Leave a Review!
We LOVE hearing from you! Submit your question or comment here.
Your email address will not be published.
10 comments on “Best Brownie Recipe (Fudgy & Chewy)”
Amazing! Adding to my recipe binder right now! These brownies were delicious and my family loved them. Thank you!!
The brownie taste so good!! The brownie was nice and soft.
I made the brownies on the weekend for a kids birthday party and they were gone within minutes
I’ve never made brownies from scratch, only box, and this recipe did not disappoint. I will never use boxed brownies again. Thank you!
This recipe is absolutely perfect! I made these brownies yesterday and they so moust and chewy. I added pecans on the top and wow! The best brownie I’ve ever tasted. I ate one for breakfast with my coffee. No worries I walked a mile afterwards. Thanks for the addition to my favorites collection. Marilyn T.
This is my go to for brownies! Everyone loves them! Best brownie recipe I have ever made!!! 🙂 I add 2 Tablespoons of pre made cooled espresso. Today my husband requested them and I made a double batch with my 2 boys to take to a party tomorrow. Thank you!!!
Whoop whoop… This is my go-to recipe… I get good feed back…thanks
I would love to make these soon.
BEST Brownies I have ever made!