If you love Cracker Barrel, you know of the Coca Cola Cake. This moist chocolate cake with cream cheese frosting is so moist and so delicious and it is a family favorite. One bite of this incredible cake, and you will be hooked.
Cracker Barrel Coca Cola Cake
This Coca-Cola Cake is so delicious and really resembles the original recipe. This cake has a lot of ingredients that can be found in your kitchen already and only takes about an hour to prepare and bake, but it is so worth it! You and your loved ones will be obsessed with this recipe as it will remind you of one of your favorite restaurants. Tasting this recipe knowing it uses Cola in it will want you to find other recipes that use soda as well, and this Layered Cherry Coke Cake and Strawberry Soda Cake are just other recipes that you may just fall in love with.
- Butter- Use unsalted butter to control the amount of salt in the recipe.
- Chocolate- You will need Semi-sweet for this recipe.
- Marshmallows- You can cut the larger ones into squares or use 3/4 c. of mini’s.
- Cola- This will be added to the batter.
- Oil- Use vegetable oil or canola as a substitute.
- Sugar- Every great dessert uses sugar in the recipe.
- Eggs- Use eggs that are at room temperature.
- Vanilla- Use pure extract for the best flavoring.
- Buttermilk- You can substitute milk with a bit of vinegar.
- Flour- You will need cake flour for this recipe for the best results.
- Baking soda– This will allow the ingredients to double in size.
- Baking Powder- This will allow the ingredients to rise in the oven.
- Salt- This will bring out the flavors in the recipe.
- Cocoa Powder- This will be added to the batter for chocolate flavoring.
- Cream Cheese- Use softened or room-temperature cream cheese.
- Powdered Sugar- This is the best sugar for the homemade frosting.
- Chocolate Curls- This will be sprinkled on top for garnish.
How to Make Coca Cola Cupcakes
Add the butter, chocolate, and cola into a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, then take off the heat.
Put in the marshmallows and combine until melted.
If the marshmallows don’t completely melt and cool too fast, place back on the heat.
Set the oven to 350 degrees.
Use pam to grease a 11x8x2 inch baking pan.
Use parchment paper to put on the bottom of the pan and a little more off the sides. You should have it fit the base of the pan with an extra 4-inches off the edges. Use pam to lightly spray the pan.
Add the vanilla, oil, and sugar into a large mixing bowl and combine until smooth.
Pour in the buttermilk, then the eggs, and combine.
Add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cocoa into another bowl.
Pour in half of the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and combine while using a spatula to scrape the sides of the bowl.
Pour in the cola mixture, then put the rest of the dry ingredients in, then combine again.
Add the batter into the prepared pan and put on the center rack to bake for 50 minutes or until a toothpick put into the middle comes out clean.
Take out of the oven when done and let sit and cool for 30 minutes.
Lift the cake out of the pan by grabbing the parchment paper, then place it on a wire rack to cool completely.
Add the cream cheese and butter into a medium mixing bowl and combine until light and fluffy.
Add in the vanilla, then slowly pour in the powdered sugar while continuing to combine.
If the mixture is too thin, add more powdered sugar or put it into the fridge for an hour to chill if you don’t want to add more sugar.
Add the icing onto the finished cake, then top with some chocolate curls for garnish.
Slice, Serve, and devour!
Could I Make this Recipe into Cupcakes?
It is easy to make this cake into cupcakes. To make this recipe into cupcakes, you will first need to find a good cupcake recipe. Then, you will need to measure out all your batter to fit into the portions of a cupcake pan and bake.
What Does Coke Cake Taste Like?
Most people think that a Coco Cola Cake will taste like Coke, but it actually doesn’t. The cola creates a moist cake that is so fudgy and airy. The reason for the Coke is for the carbonation that reacts with the ingredients, not to add flavor.
More Cake Recipes:
Cracker Barrel Coca Cola Cake
- 8 oz. unsalted butter
- 4 oz. semi-sweet chocolate
- 8 marshmallows cut into quarters, or can use ¾ c. mini marshmallows
- 1 c. cola
- ½ c. vegetable oil
- 2 c. granulated sugar
- 2 LG. eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- ½ c. buttermilk
- 2½ c. cake flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¾ c. cocoa powder
- 8 tbsp. butter softened
- 8 oz. cream cheese softened
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 c. powdered sugar
- ¾ c. Chocolate curls
- In a saucepan, over medium heat, add butter, chocolate, and cola. Bring mixture to a boil and remove from heat. Add in marshmallows and stir until melted. If the mixture cools too much so marshmallows don't completely melt, return to the heat and continue stirring. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease or spray a 11x8x2-inch baking pan (can use a 9×13-inch but cake will be thinner). Place a piece of parchment paper in the bottom and up the ends of the pan. It should be cut to fit the bottom of the pan and extend about 4-inches up each end of the pan. Lightly spray with baking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, add vanilla, oil, and sugar and mix until smooth. Add eggs and buttermilk and combine until thoroughly incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cocoa.
- Add half of the dry mixture to the wet mixture and mix, scraping bowl as you do so. Add the cola mixture, combine, then add the remaining half of the dry mixture, mixing well.
- Pour batter into pan and bake on the middle rack of the oven for approx. 50 min. or until the toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for about 30-minutes. Using parchment paper to lift the cake, remove the cake to a cooling rack and finish cooling completely.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine cream cheese and softened butter until light and fluffy. Mix in vanilla. Gradually add powdered sugar, continuing to mix. If icing is too thin, you can either add in more powdered sugar or chill the icing for about an hour if you don’t want to add more sugar.
- Spread icing onto cooled cake. Sprinkle chocolate curls over icing